Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times

Advertisements

Since we had that scare a few years back in which tomatoes were first blamed for some killer contamination and later they found it was from Mexican chilies - we have not been able to purchase decent tomatoes in any local market.

This has been going on for years, so it is not just last year's blight that has affected them.

I remember that in the year of the scare many tomato farms were shut down - all needlessly.

I used to be able to get flavorful plum tomatoes even when the normal ones were out of season. Lately, even IN season they all taste like cr@p.

Yet, I see that the tomatoes in soup and cans are still as tasty as ever, so why can't we get those fresh at the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,455,939 times
It depends on where you live, I suppose. My local grocers stock the lousy, mealy, water-flavored tomatoes as well as the flavorful, expensive varieties. The ones they sell loose were picked green and gassed with ethylene (just like they do bananas) so they never had a chance to develop flavor on the vine. The expensive ones sold in little clamshells, like Campari, seem to have more flavor. Also, the heirloom tomatoes sold in the local grocery stores have better flavor than the "salad" tomatoes.

If you have a farmer's market nearby, you might be better off getting your tomatoes there. Costco has Campari tomatoes in the clamshells for a decent price, too.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,561,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It depends on where you live, I suppose. My local grocers stock the lousy, mealy, water-flavored tomatoes as well as the flavorful, expensive varieties. The ones they sell loose were picked green and gassed with ethylene (just like they do bananas) so they never had a chance to develop flavor on the vine. The expensive ones sold in little clamshells, like Campari, seem to have more flavor. Also, the heirloom tomatoes sold in the local grocery stores have better flavor than the "salad" tomatoes.

If you have a farmer's market nearby, you might be better off getting your tomatoes there. Costco has Campari tomatoes in the clamshells for a decent price, too.
I was just going to post this. Campari tomatoes ROCK!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Ok, maybe when we move I will have better sources for tomatoes. I have two supermarkets here on the east coast and two farmers markets and they all stink.

So, I am probably in a bad area for tomatoes, even though we are close enough to New Jersey, which is supposed to be the best state for tomato growth. That's what bothers me - we should be getting good tomatoes.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,561,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ok, maybe when we move I will have better sources for tomatoes. I have two supermarkets here on the east coast and two farmers markets and they all stink.

So, I am probably in a bad area for tomatoes, even though we are close enough to New Jersey, which is supposed to be the best state for tomato growth. That's what bothers me - we should be getting good tomatoes.
I have been able to find Camparis at every decent grocery store I've ever been too from Ohio to California.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,892,576 times
Bad year for tomato growers this year...and poor produce buyers are to blame.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,912,943 times
I don't usually buy tomatoes in the winter, because here in the northeast any winter tomatoes are "hot house" tomatoes, or they are shipped in from other areas. The taste just isn't the same. I usually wait until the summer, then buy them when local Farmer's Markets open. I did just find some delicious cherry tomatoes called Santa's Sweets recently, though. My six year old and I have been eating them like candy. They're from Mexico. I also grow tomatoes in the summer, but they aren't ready until August.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,203,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Which state grows the best tomato can be debated until the cows come home, which we have on CD in the past. I think my Hoosier maters are the best that is why I grow enough to can up to get us through the winter.

Just saw on the early show today FL's crop is in the tubes from the freeze they got. So they lost 75% of their crops that means higher prices at the groceries for the rest of us until gardens get planted.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Bad year for tomato growers this year...and poor produce buyers are to blame.
AT this time of year, a produce buyer purchases what tomatoes he can find at a price that his customers are willing to pay.

Fundamentally, you have two choices - central Mexico and Florida - and that depends on which fields are ready.

Sure, you can ship in some vine ripened "on the vine" from Belgium or the Netherlands if you have customers willing to pay $5 or more per pound.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,892,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
AT this time of year, a produce buyer purchases what tomatoes he can find at a price that his customers are willing to pay.

Fundamentally, you have two choices - central Mexico and Florida - and that depends on which fields are ready.

Sure, you can ship in some vine ripened "on the vine" from Belgium or the Netherlands if you have customers willing to pay $5 or more per pound.
Time of year certainly plays into the problem. We all know Florida's tomato crop has suffered greatly. I'm sure we are getting some Mexican tomatoes in our Markets here. While I'm not seeing the greatest quality or varieties here prices aren't astronomical. The really noticeable difference is in price of canned tomato products. I use a lot of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink