Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,045 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those people who are like this.

I don't like the taste of eating a tomato at all and in fact, would say I hate it. If I were to bite into one as if it were an apple, I'd feel like I'd want to retch -- the sheer taste, the texture etc. all feels distasteful to me.

I don't like it at all, but I'm fine with a slice of tomato in a sandwich or whatever so long as it is a small thin slice and drowned out by the flavour of other things (though you may ask, why eat it at all if you dislike it). I also quite like bruschetta though which I thought to myself was kind of odd, but then again I don't really taste the tomato-like taste strongly in it among the other flavours.

I'm okay with tomato-based sauces and ketchup though and don't dislike them at all. To me, it's different from the taste of raw tomato itself.

Anyone else? Is this common would you say? I don't really care if I'm weird -- I'm just curious as to if any others feel this way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,387 times
You're definitely not the only one. I was harrassed alot as a child (many many moons ago) about this very thing.

I eat everything made with tomatos. Including chunks of tomato in fresh salsa and spaghetti sauce.

The taste and texture of raw tomato is not for me. It's perfectly described by the late great George Carlin as something in the larval stage. Like it's not done in the middle.

I only enjoy steak that way.

George Carlin - Fussy Eater. Specifically at 4:55 he mentions tomatos... (foul words in his act) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-BR-EBMU4

Last edited by shroombeanie; 04-23-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,565 times
Nope, you're not alone. I would not even THINK about eating a tomato, whole, sliced, diced, or any other way you can think of, BUT I will eat tomato sauce products like spaghetti, or foods with tomato sauce, tomato juice, or tomato paste in them (chili, soups, etc.) I don't even eat or like catsup. I attribute this to my brother and sister telling me that they were "guts" or "blood clots" when Mom served up something like macaroni with cheese and tomatoes in it, or her version of goulash (baked chili with macaroni noodles in it, topped with bacon), or anything else I can remember that was "red". I wouldn't eat rice for years because it looked like "maggots" to me after my SISTER told me that's what rice was made from. I know, sounds really dumb, but I was the youngest and kinda sheltered. Even now at my advanced age (55!) I know better, but I just can't get past it. I gag just thinking about it.....

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
I know people who love catsup but hate tomatoes.

The story about the rice reminded me about why I can't eat raisins:

To this day I think raisins taste like ants because my dad told us kids about the time he was eating a box of raisins when he was five and after the box was half gone he felt something pinch his tongue. He pulled a black ant out of his mouth, and then looked into the box of raisins and it had ants crawling over the raisins. My brothers and I can't eat raisins after we grew up hearing that story.

Even if I am eating a cookie that has hidden raisins inside I taste ants and can't eat it.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
I like it in pico de gallo, but can't stand a slice on a hamburger. The taste doesn't mesh well with the burger, and it makes everything sloppy and too juicy

Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,556 times
I loathed tomatoes as a youngster, in fact all salad vegetables.

I like a salad now but only if it has some protein or carbohydrate with it.

My dad had the best vege garden and used to tear his hair out...I would kill for just one of his home grown veges now...they just don't taste the same.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,717 times
I love tomatoes in all forms, so please don't shoot me.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Now that Roma tomatoes have been nice and cheap for several years (much cheaper than any fruit besides bananas), I eat one just about every day. Just stand over the sink and eat it whole, with a pinch of sale on each bite.

I never put tomatoes in anything I cook, n or on sandwiches, but I put a tomato in salads and I use tomato paste to make pasta sauce.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Fresh tomatoes off the vine are much better than the dull things usually offered in the store. I remember as a kid having a farmer's market tomato that actually tasted like a tomato and it was good! That said, I don't dislike any fresh tomatoes, but I do enjoy tomato based sauces more.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,587,954 times
I like tomatoes raw or cooked but my husband won't eat them raw or even in big chunks in spaghetti sauce. He does love spaghetti with tomato based sauce, though, as well as enjoying ketchup and salsa (if not too chunky). Definitely a texture thing for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink