Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:09 PM

364 posts, read 528,242 times

Advertisements

I am very picky when it comes to salad dressings. Hard for me to find one in the grocery store I like. It's funny because I can have some in restaurants and love them and can't seem to find any in on the shelves I like. Any good recommendations for Italian type dressings? Or any different takes on oil/vinegar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,759,605 times
I love Ken's Steakhouse dressings. I've never had one I didn't like Lots of flavor in their Italian-type dressings.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:14 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,709,437 times
Maria's Blue Cheese Vinegarette

Old 03-07-2007, 01:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,792,387 times
Check out Annie's Naturals! Organic & vegan! And lots of great flavors! They have a Tuscany Italian that is really good!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,652 times
Wish Bone's Just 2 Good Italian - I don't miss the calories.
Seven Seas Red Wine Vinagrette (?) - tastes just like the homemade vinegar dressing my mom used for pickled (or sour) cukes. Yum!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will for sure try some. I love salads and there is 101 things you can do with them. I just need to find a good dressing. Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,054,374 times
I know what you mean.
I have no way of proving this, but sometimes I think restaurants put a bit of white sugar in their salad dressing! Canola oil has a very pure taste, maybe they use that too for sweet and sour dressings?
A lot of store-bought dressings will be cleverly packaged and *look* good but then you look at the ingredients and they are full of soybean oil or high fructose corn syrup.
Neither of those things are exactly disgusting, but they are not necessarily something I want in my salad dressing, especially the corn syrup.
Xanthan gum, found even in the most "natural" of supposedly natural products, does seem fairly harmless.
Anyway, I often just make my own dressings.
Believe it or not, one of my favorite olive oils is relatively cheap: Goya.
It tastes great and is very reasonably priced: $7.45 for 17 oz.
I like flavored vinegars and they are easy to make on my own.
For creamier dressings, like ranch-style, rather than make my own I'll tend to go with Paul Newman. The taste and ngredients are pretty good and I figure at least the money goes to a good cause. I've enjoyed Annie's, too.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I know what you mean.
I have no way of proving this, but sometimes I think restaurants put a bit of white sugar in their salad dressing! Canola oil has a very pure taste, maybe they use that too for sweet and sour dressings?
A lot of store-bought dressings will be cleverly packaged and *look* good but then you look at the ingredients and they are full of soybean oil or high fructose corn syrup.
Neither of those things are exactly disgusting, but they are not necessarily something I want in my salad dressing, especially the corn syrup.
Xanthan gum, found even in the most "natural" of supposedly natural products, does seem fairly harmless.
Anyway, I often just make my own dressings.
Believe it or not, one of my favorite olive oils is relatively cheap: Goya.
It tastes great and is very reasonably priced: $7.45 for 17 oz.
I like flavored vinegars and they are easy to make on my own.
For creamier dressings, like ranch-style, rather than make my own I'll tend to go with Paul Newman. The taste and ngredients are pretty good and I figure at least the money goes to a good cause. I've enjoyed Annie's, too.
Interesting idea about the sugar. Hum. Ranch is one that I can tell some restaurants do very different. It is sweeter. Lacking that real tart Ranch taste. I like it like that. A chef once told me that the Ranch taste I was describing is because of mayo being added. I'm not sure. But I always know the difference.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,124,760 times
Another fan of "make my own". I keep a selection of oils on hand (olive, walnut, sesame....) and often improvise.

Once you make your own, it's hard to go back to store-bought. They seem too sweet (that corn syrup!) and they seem too viscous (that coated-tongue feeling, is that the xanthan gum ?).

Try cooks.com or allrecipes.com to get started.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,099,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I love Ken's Steakhouse dressings. I've never had one I didn't like Lots of flavor in their Italian-type dressings.
I buy more Ken's than anything else. My husband's favorite is the Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette; I like the Olive Oil or Balsamic Vinaigrette (both Lites). The Lite Bleu Cheese is also a good change.

For Ranch, I want the original Hidden Valley Ranch! I'll use less of it, but just can't beat the taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink