Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,648,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I realize that this is an old thread but since it's been revived anyway...

I did this a couple of weeks ago and the results were fabulous:
I put 4 large skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot.
I dumped two jars of salsa on top.
I let it do its stuff for about 5 or 6 hours. I think it was on high, but it may very well have been on low. Yeah, I think it was on low.

It was delicious!

You could either shred the chicken -- it was that tender -- or serve it as breasts over rice.
That does sound delicious. I just happened to read the thread yesterday and I didn't realize how old it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
That does sound delicious. I just happened to read the thread yesterday and I didn't realize how old it was.
I've done that before -- "it was new to ME!" It's all good.

Anyway, could chicken and salsa not be the easiest "recipe" in the world? And the fact that it comes out delicious is just an added bonus.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,895,199 times
ANOTHER great idea from Dawn! Thanks, and I'll be trying this!!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,556,410 times
I disagree that you shouldn't cook skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the crock pot. I have done it many times with much success. It just falls appart and is moist and tender. If not, you may be buying tough, older chicken which some groceries try to pass off.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

20,953 posts, read 28,482,151 times
I have done bonless skinnless chicken breast in the crockpot and it was dry as a bone. I have also done boneless skinlees thighs and they come out juicy and tender. I don't like the Idea of cooking chicken breast for a long time. I hate dry chicken

Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I disagree that you shouldn't cook skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the crock pot. I have done it many times with much success. It just falls appart and is moist and tender. If not, you may be buying tough, older chicken which some groceries try to pass off.
True. I buy two different kinds of skinless breast -- one kind is very flat (I use that when I make chicken marsala) and the other kind is "natural" (rounded).

When I made chicken breasts and salsa in the crockpot, I used the plumper ones, not the flattened ones.

Even after 6 hours, they were so moist, I could shred them with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have done bonless skinnless chicken breast in the crockpot and it was dry as a bone. I have also done boneless skinlees thighs and they come out juicy and tender. I don't like the Idea of cooking chicken breast for a long time. I hate dry chicken
Maybe not enough moisture going on? Seriously, the ones that I made drowned in salsa were moist as moist can be. (And I hate the word "moist." LOL!)

Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I totally agree and the texure of it is weird. This is the same with boiling a whole chicken. The dark meat is great, the white meat gets crewy. How many of you remember when we used to actually buy stewing chickens. They were the older guys. Anyone who thinks, old chicken in the crock pot is why ours is tough doesn't remember the days of stewing chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink