Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,472,092 times

Advertisements

Skinless chicken breast has very little fat and cooks quickly. I would not cook it in the crock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 PM

207 posts, read 705,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Skinless chicken breast has very little fat and cooks quickly. I would not cook it in the crock.

Yes, that is what I was worried about. So I actually used split chicken breast, which had the skin & the bone. However, towards the end of cooking it I took the skin off & I took the bone off & then used 2 forks to shred it. We had it for dinner tonight & my husband (ate 2 bowls ) and daughter loved it. The only problem was I thought I made enough for 2 meals but the little that is left will be used for my hubby's lunch tomorrow. So next time I will double the recipe so I can have a few days of no cooking.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM

849 posts, read 1,955,721 times
That sounds very good Penny. Kids and I love curry, but not my hubby. He's no fun sometimes!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,472,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Coconut milk would be good too, it will give a slightly thicker sauce and won't overpower the curry flavour but will complement it. Altho it may not be how your auntie made it...
coconut milk is always a good choice!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,653,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
Yes, that is what I was worried about. So I actually used split chicken breast, which had the skin & the bone. However, towards the end of cooking it I took the skin off & I took the bone off & then used 2 forks to shred it. We had it for dinner tonight & my husband (ate 2 bowls ) and daughter loved it. The only problem was I thought I made enough for 2 meals but the little that is left will be used for my hubby's lunch tomorrow. So next time I will double the recipe so I can have a few days of no cooking.
How long did you cook it in the crockpot? I assume you had it on a high setting, right?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:13 PM

393 posts, read 1,116,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
How long did you cook it in the crockpot? I assume you had it on a high setting, right?
Why are you addressing a 3+ year-old thread?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone had any success with using skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot? I'm just wondering if the meat needs to have some fat on it in order to keep the dish from getting too dry.

I want to make a crockpot mean using yellow curry powder & skinless chicken breast. It seems like every crockpot recipe requires a can of mushroom soup which I'm not so sure I want to use as the taste may alter the curry flavor.

Any ideas?
my opinion is chicken breats, especially skinless and boneless should only be grilled or baked for a few minutes. White meat can get dry, chewy and doesn' t have enough flavor for long cooking.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,978,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Why are you addressing a 3+ year-old thread?
thanks, I usually notice that, but sometimes i slip up> You are right, why are we answering her, hopefully she has cooked the chicken by now, otherwise it must be pretty well aged..

Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times
Either a can of soup or a flavor cube will add a totally unacceptable and unnecessary amount of salt to the meal. Learn to cook without high-sodium conveniences. The nutritional information provided with foods is the maximum, not the minimum allowance for sodium.

A meal does have to have a certain amount of fat/oil in it to give it mouth-feel and body, as well as access to fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K). If all the skin is removed from the chicken, then a bit of butter or a half a strip of bacon in the pot will do, but then you might as well leave at least some of the skin on.

To me, the downside of crockpot cooking is that you have to get everything exactly right in the morning, when you plug it in. I'd rather stand by the stove for an hour stirring and adjusting my meal. Even with a crockpot, it's going to take you a good part of an hour to get everything else ready, anyway.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-16-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
I realize that this is an old thread but since it's been revived anyway...

I did this a couple of weeks ago and the results were fabulous:
I put 4 large skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot.
I dumped two jars of salsa on top.
I let it do its stuff for about 5 or 6 hours. I think it was on high, but it may very well have been on low. Yeah, I think it was on low.

It was delicious!

You could either shred the chicken -- it was that tender -- or serve it as breasts over rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink