Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,588,309 times

Advertisements

My friends and I have been sharing our outdoor cooking techniques with each other and I thought it would be enjoyable to hear some body elses. I'm not talking about grillin' weenies, I mean some real unusual stuff. For a start I will tell you my fish in the fire cooking technique. First you need to catch a fish. We used this on little fish usually (perch, brim, little catfish, trout) so if you go for a bigboy you're on your own. Build a fire on the ground. Clean the fish; season it if you have some (plain fish is bland) now collect some water flora if possible (water cress is the best, cat tail leaves (green), lilies taste weird but will work, if all else fails use long rush or grass blades) Now get some wet mud, as clean as possible, also a claylike as possible. You may have to dig in a silt deposit but it needs to be sticky not sandy. Wrap the plant material around the fish then pack that with the mud. A mud pie not to thick, half an inch or so is good. By now your fire should have a heart of embers, lay the mud pie on a piece of wood and lay this in the edge of the fire and cover with embers. It will burn up the wood and slow the drying of the mud some (so it doesn't crack off the bottom. About 15 minutes give or take and you can pull it out and remove the mud and greenery. It really is quite good once you get the timing down. This may sound involved but it is really very simple. It'll make you feel all woodsy....before you know it be huntin' for Sasquatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink