Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 12:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times

Advertisements

In the past I had blended salt, pepper, and provence herbs in butter then rub on the prime rib. But I suspect most of those flavor fell off the meat when butter melted dripped down to the pan. Also, butter produces smoke that sets off smoke alarm.

I am thinking about not using butter, just apply dry rub of the same spices directly onto the meat. Maybe I can spread on some butter at the very end just to add the flavor.

Do you think this plan will work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 01:47 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Yes, you can use dry rub on prime rib. I use dry rub on other meats and it works fine.

At my house, Prime rib mostly just gets a touch of salt and black pepper, and a few cloves of garlic shoved into some slits in the meat. The meat is so expensive, I don't want to taste anything but beef when I eat prime rib.

The prime rib is fatty, so I don't know why you want to add butter, but my suggestion would be to wait until the meat is nearly ready and then do a butter baste with just a dab of butter. If you use enough for it to drip off, it will rinse your spices off.

You don't need butter for moisture, so you are just adding it for flavor, so add during the last few minutes.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:48 PM

Coming back to add: almost all the commercial dry rubs are loaded with salt, so I strongly suggest that you pass them by and make a rub at home and limit the salt in it to just about none.

Old 11-24-2021, 03:29 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I rub olive oil all over the roast with salt pepper
Garlic. … some rosemary

Roast 18mins per lb at 325 or take out at 125f( it will still cook on counter) and let set for 20-25 minutes ( no foil)
… 135 is my target for medium rare

If a bone in roast … when you order ask for “ boned and tied”
They will take off the bone and tied back on.. after it’s cooked
Cut the strings and start slicing

If it’s not already boned and tied… after it’s cooked and set on counter
Then take the meat off the bone in the kitchen and slice .. and place slabs on platter or plates
The end cuts of course are more “ done” than mid roast

And for the bones … these are one of my favs I try to claim these bones .. these are like beef
Baby back ribs

Oh and the so called “ blood” on the platter which seems to “ gross out” the sensitives … is mostly water

There are 7 ribs on a whole rib eye … about 2.5lbs a rib
For serving size… usually 1lb each for bone in .. and 1/2-3/4 per lb for bnls ..

3 grades of “ prime rib”. Prime choice and select .., prime grade is very marbled and very expensive…. Choice is the most popular … then select is leaner( and least expensive)

Old 11-24-2021, 06:42 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I rub olive oil all over the roast with salt pepper
Garlic. … some rosemary

Roast 18mins per lb at 325 or take out at 125f( it will still cook on counter) and let set for 20-25 minutes ( no foil)
… 135 is my target for medium rare

If a bone in roast … when you order ask for “ boned and tied”
They will take off the bone and tied back on.. after it’s cooked
Cut the strings and start slicing

If it’s not already boned and tied… after it’s cooked and set on counter
Then take the meat off the bone in the kitchen and slice .. and place slabs on platter or plates
The end cuts of course are more “ done” than mid roast

And for the bones … these are one of my favs I try to claim these bones .. these are like beef
Baby back ribs

Oh and the so called “ blood” on the platter which seems to “ gross out” the sensitives … is mostly water

There are 7 ribs on a whole rib eye … about 2.5lbs a rib
For serving size… usually 1lb each for bone in .. and 1/2-3/4 per lb for bnls ..

3 grades of “ prime rib”. Prime choice and select .., prime grade is very marbled and very expensive…. Choice is the most popular … then select is leaner( and least expensive)
Everything about this post is perfect and makes me drool, just a little bit.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:21 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
A little change of plan...

I just went to Costco to buy prime rib meat, but they don't have it any more. I know it's my own fault for waiting till last minute.

Just to ensure I have some meat to cook, I grab something labeled "Ribeye Roast". Is this portion similar to prime rib? Can I cook it the same way?

The appearance looks just a little flatter than prime rib...

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast2.jpg

Is it a good idea to apply "dry rub" to prime rib?-ribeye-roast1.jpg

Old 11-25-2021, 08:18 AM

That's your prime rib without the bones and some of the fatty areas trimmed off. So just about the same.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:06 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In the past I had blended salt, pepper, and provence herbs in butter then rub on the prime rib. But I suspect most of those flavor fell off the meat when butter melted dripped down to the pan. Also, butter produces smoke that sets off smoke alarm.

I am thinking about not using butter, just apply dry rub of the same spices directly onto the meat. Maybe I can spread on some butter at the very end just to add the flavor.

Do you think this plan will work out?

I made a horseradish crusted prime rib that turned out really awesome. We used to get it from Charlie Browns restaurants. Everyone that tried it said it tasted better then theirs.

I let it sit/rest in a turned off, hot oven for a while. I've never done that before. I used 2 of the recipes that I found online.

This is the first recipe that comes up when I google Charlie Browns horseradish crusted prime rib

Old 11-25-2021, 01:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Salt is an important ingredient in a dry rub, especially if you are using the rub as a dry brine. Doing this makes a very good roast turkey. And doing this on burger patties makes for a flavorful burger.

Old 11-25-2021, 02:08 PM

8,050 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I'm cooking one right now for me and the dogs. I found a great way to cook it a few years ago. I just use pepper and crushed garlic. The recipe is so simple pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees. Place in oven and cook for 5 minutes per pound. when your timer goes off turn off your oven and let it sit for 2 hours. (DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!)

I've done this for at least 15 prime rib roasts and it always comes out perfectly medium rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink