Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times

Advertisements

My local Publix is having a 'special' on Moon Drops Grapes this week. I'm going to try them. After doing some reading last year on Grapery, the California based grower who created them, I found many other flavors I'd like to try, but haven't found them here.
Any of you taste these new flavors of grapes, and what did you think?

*Here's an article on the 'Moon Drops' and the Grapery.

https://www.superfoodly.com/moon-dro...hey_taste_like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
These and the cotton candy grapes are always very expensive at our local stores, compared to traditional varieties, and I certainly don't even like plain grapes enough to pay extra for novelty varieties.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
I haven't heard of the moon drops but the cotton candy grapes are spectacular. I think the season is August and September. I haven't seen them outside of those months.

When I was a kid, the fun in going to a Fair was for the cotton candy.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
These and the cotton candy grapes are always very expensive at our local stores, compared to traditional varieties, and I certainly don't even like plain grapes enough to pay extra for novelty varieties.
Sorry to hear that. Here, that isn't so, as you can clearly see by the price of the regular Red grapes listed under the Moon Drops. Perhaps the prices are falling due to they are now becoming market mainstream?

I love grapes, hope you at least drink the dark, concord type juice TabulaRasa.

I give plasma about once every 3 months, due to having special antibodies in it, they beg for me to do so.
Point being; I am told by the Floor Supervisor there, that of all the fruits and veggies, meats, etc., blacks and deep red grapes have the most healthful amounts of Resveratrol, beneficial for blood/plasma building and staving off Alzheimers. She says if I only eat one thing for a few days before donating, eat the black grapes.

Lol, I guess you could get that in a glass of Merlot.

Sagacious, yes, those were good days. Still love me a piece of Cotton candy.

Last edited by TerraDown; 10-19-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 01:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I have some Moon Drops in my fridge. They're pretty good - definitely sweet. My favorite grape is still the concord.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
The Moon Drops are pretty good. I got the cotton candy grapes for my kids once and they were underwhelmed, so I've never gotten them again.

For me, it's hard to beat a really crisp and juicy plain red or green table grape. The kind that pop in your mouth when you bite into them. Seems like finding those is hit or miss.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
My local Publix is having a 'special' on Moon Drops Grapes this week. I'm going to try them. After doing some reading last year on Grapery, the California based grower who created them, I found many other flavors I'd like to try, but haven't found them here.

I LOVE them.

Cotton Candy grapes taste exactly like their namesake. Gumdrops are sweet and a bit spicy, and Moondrops are a little less sweet, but with a lot of depth, almost like wine.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:04 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

I just tried them recently. The name was enticing. However, they tasted like regular grapes. Moon drop sounded pretty. I thought they would be exceptionally sweet or delicious.

Other than their funky appearance, I noticed no difference.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
I agree---moon drops are a little elongated, so the shape is a drop unique, but they tasted just like any black grapes.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:59 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I haven't heard of the moon drops but the cotton candy grapes are spectacular. I think the season is August and September. I haven't seen them outside of those months.

When I was a kid, the fun in going to a Fair was for the cotton candy.
They're good but expensive - out of season now. I enjoyed the container I purchased. They sort of tasted like cotton candy, but not in an artificial sort of way. They had a slightly brownish skin somewhat like a muscadine but not as thick.

By the way, there's no added flavorings, real or artificial - they get the flavors through horticulture, not flavor baths or injections (the Grapple grape-flavored apple is flavored by soaking it in a flavoring bath). Quite an impressive achievement

Speaking of muscadines (also known as scuppernongs) -- if you're a grape fancier, don't pass up buying this Southern grape if you happen to see it in your local store. A truly unique taste experience - kind of musky/spicy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink