Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 03:19 PM

12,284 posts, read 8,721,184 times

Advertisements

Beef, pork, fish, elk, sausage varieties, soups, casseroles and vegetables in two freezers.
Home-canned veggies, pickles and preserves.
Pasta, rice, oatmeal.
Canned soups, veggies, fruit.
Large amount of staples.

There are only two of us but we both came from families which kept a lot of food on hand, we live in the land of snowstorms and DH retired from Emergency Management.

It would be a diet heavy in protein and carbohydrates and probably get boring once all the home-made things were gone but I think we could probably eat for six months on what we have. And, yes, we do have a generator.

But I suspect that isn't the way it would go down. We have a widow neighbor next door we keep an eye on and a bachelor adult son who would probably show up for meals if need be.

If the situation were dire I imagine all it would take would be a few weeks and then the generator may attract a number of uninvited "guests."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,934,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Imagine you and persons living with you have to eat from what is in your kitchen/pantry today, how many days of food do you have?
I am far from shops and unable to go grocery shopping myself. Usually is 5 days food stretching it out 8, maybe even 10 days says my teen. My household is 2 adults, 1 teen.
The recent thread on germans told to stockpile food/water got me thinking ........hence my question here.
We keep a 12 month food supply at all times

Old 08-23-2016, 04:13 PM

20,000 posts, read 30,520,082 times
we had a severe ice storm in the late '90's and we lost power for over 3 weeks,,,,so did everyone

thank god I have a woodstove in my living room

not only provided heat but also cooked on it

I have a freezer full of critters...most I shot skinned and cut up myself

a lot of deer come in my door yard .....I can pick them off very easily,,
and lots of fish in the lake in front of the house so I could go on for quite some time..

I have cases of cocoa puffs... peanut butter ... toilet paper

lots of food and ammo .... I saw the show the walking dead,,,im ready

Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 PM

48,751 posts, read 35,498,553 times
Months.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,418,780 times
I probably have about 4 or 5 days' worth, I'd guess. I'm not sure if that's pathetic or not... I'm well stocked for some items, like flour, sugar, coffee, tea, uh bouillon... hmm.

Not a lot of vegetables or meat in reserve. Or potable water. I know it's always a good idea to have at least a couple of days' worth of bottled water handy, in sealed jugs that they sell full, or something. I should get onto that.

I've lapsed quite a bit from the habits that my parents had... they always had probably a month's worth of food in stock. Canned, frozen, root vegetables, etc. They were always prepared in case they were snowed in for awhile, or in case the power was knocked out by a blizzard or the tail end of a hurricane coming up the east coast... I'm used to city conveniences. Which can also be knocked offline by a power blackout or some other event, we aren't immune either. Be prepared, as they say.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,326,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Whew! I'm not the only one ... I won't make it past 4pm when everyone gets home from school.
Yeah ... no can or boxes here either. Well, just some random leftovers from when my sisters have come to visit and left whatever in the pantry.
Anyone up for some baked beans with stale Sun Chips and chocolate syrup?
Gotta go clean now ...

Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,188,090 times
Enough for five days of good food, and maybe two weeks longer if we were to live off of rice and pasta. I see no need to stock up as there are ten grocery stores within a mile and a half radius of my home.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 PM

16,415 posts, read 30,561,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
OT but I REALLY gotta know!

What do you do with the rhubarb preserves?

What is caramel curry?

(Crab and matzoh? Knowing a little bit about Jewish kosher laws - isn't that crab a no-no?)

1) That was one of many gifts from friends. Since I am a "foodie", I get some of the weirdest stuff that you could imagine as gifts. Once I finish up my current jar of raspberry preserves, the rhubarb is next.
I might add that it is sitting next to the pumpkin butter and the cherry-jalapeno chutney. And the guava marmalade. No kidding.

2) Actually, that was one of my finds at H-Mart a couple years ago. It looked good but tasted just OK.

3) I am not Jewish. However, most of the people who I consult when I need more information on a particular bacon are. Go figure.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 PM

6,803 posts, read 4,555,958 times
We could go several months. Longer if we had to -- several large bags of rice, dried beans and pasta. Canned soups. Canned chili, tomatoes and beef stew. Coffee and creamer (VERY important!). Canned beans. Several boxes of Granola and various snacks. Peanut butter. Crackers. Several chocolate bars. Sugar. Flour. Pancake mix. Freezer filled to capacity.

None of us should assume the stores will be open tomorrow. Too much chaos in the world. Even the weather is insane.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM

37,919 posts, read 46,631,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A couple of months minimum and probably longer.
Yup. Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink