Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

Rarely have bread as an accompaniment at home...the exception would be that if I make a homemade soup, my husband will sometimes bake up a rustic loaf to go with it (I'm not much for baking).

My grandmother (1917-2007) served bread and butter, typically just plain loaf bread, but rolls at holidays, with every non-breakfast meal. I see it, consequently, as rather old school.

Dining out, I'll usually have bread if it's provided, but I do a lot of things when dining out that I don't regularly do at home, such as starters and dessert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Growing up bread was a daily staple with dinner. Now, except for holidays, maybe company and when we go out we never have bread with dinner. On, I take that back, when we have soup we always have some type of chewy bread. We also have sandwiches sometimes. Normally we do have a carb but it isn't bread.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Someone made an impression on me at an early age...well 2 people....
When I was in 6th grade, my sister's boyfriend said one sentence,
"You can't lose weight and eat bread." Stuck with me. His family had weight issues.

In 11th grade my Italian English teacher said "Bread
(we were at an Italian restaurant with a group) was for peasants to fill up on."

From that moment on...I may have one bite of bread served at a restaurant.
(I guess, I'm very impressionable!)
My obese friends (not fat, obese) always grab it right away, I have noticed...
same with flour tortillas...I give them mine.

I love an old European rye from a French bakery made superbly, I'm half Czeck...
but, rarely...I never buy a loaf...
unless I give more than half to a friend.

My mother could have had a whole loaf with butter in 2 days.
I mailed then to her they were so like 'the old country'.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:07 AM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Sure. I do eat sometimes bread for dinner. I don't eat bread with hot dishes, but sometimes I am having just a sandwich...

Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Someone made an impression on me at an early age...well 2 people....
When I was in 6th grade, my sister's boyfriend said one sentence,
"You can't lose weight and eat bread." Stuck with me. His family had weight issues.

In 11th grade my Italian English teacher said "Bread
(we were at an Italian restaurant with a group) was for peasants to fill up on."

From that moment on...I may have one bite of bread served at a restaurant.
(I guess, I'm very impressionable!)
My obese friends (not fat, obese) always grab it right away, I have noticed...
same with flour tortillas...I give them mine.

I love an old European rye from a French bakery made superbly, I'm half Czeck...
but, rarely...I never buy a loaf...
unless I give more than half to a friend.

My mother could have had a whole loaf with butter in 2 days.
I mailed then to her they were so like 'the old country'.
yep, it sounds like you are or were pretty impressionable. On the other hand, were you ever told: bread is the staff of life?"

Old 01-03-2015, 10:19 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Only if I am eating at a restaurant or it is a light meal where bread is a main part of the meal (but not if it is a heavy meal).

Old 01-03-2015, 01:22 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Occasionally. I could eat it at every meal, but try not to. I like crusty breads, Italian, French, Sourdough--not the soft ones.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Home made yeasty fresh bread....I am eating all I can stuff into me. With butter. Lots of butter.

Maybe that's once or twice a year. The rest of the time, I see regular bread as a filler or a carrier for sandwich stuffings and I avoid it consistently. My parents never served bread at meals but my grandparents would not consider a meal without bread.

I think the store bought stuff is a waste and it has few redeeming qualities. Home made is a completely different story!

Old 01-03-2015, 03:07 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
I did at one point and then stopped. I very rarely eat bread when we go out. My bf likes rolls with dinner so I'll put one in for him

Old 01-04-2015, 11:05 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,954,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
so untrue, ALL Italian restaurants in Australia (which are one generation away, if that) serve bread with Every Meal.

Continental bread....yum....

We get so many different types of bread down here. We also get that heavy European bread in supermarkets, Italian style breads, Greek, Indian, etc etc. I never eat the white square slice on the table I grew up with, any more. It's Barely Bread at all.

I had a bread maker too when my kids were little, DELICIOUS.
Same in the US. Even the smallest grocery stores generally have a wide variety of international & artisanal breads. I really started noticing that around ten years ago or so. You used to have to go to the larger, upscale stores to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink