Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 AM

23,405 posts, read 37,164,538 times

Advertisements

well, its cold here, not like some of you are having, but its cold for Florida, 38 right now, with a high of 50, and its that nasty damp cold.
Think I am gonna do a baked ziti today, if I use the oven, it will help warm up the kitchen........

Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,979,185 times
OMG! It is freakin' freezing here today! I am NOT going out!

Homemade pizza for dinner tonight.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,401,049 times
This is so unlike me---I feel like jumping back into my bed! I just can't seem to get warm today. The house is warm but there is a cold draft from the doggie door. Decided to close that in order to cut down on the draft. I just don't even feel like figuring out what to make for dinner. I'm thinking something to do with cube steaks. Maybe a salisbury steak.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM

16,805 posts, read 40,108,555 times
I had an onion and sharp cheddar what do you call them, can't think of the Italian word.... it's an unfolded omelet. One of those topped with Herdez salsa and a couple of cups of freshly ground strong coffee.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:58 AM

48,429 posts, read 22,111,128 times
salisbury steak? I thought that was ground beef torpedo shaped things in a brown gravy?????What do you mean when you say Salisbury Steak?

I notice different words mean different things in different regions.....for example if you see "chop suey" on a menu here in Maine it means a macaroni tomato green pepper and tomato dish...not the chinese resturant dish.......if you see "Chinese Pie" it is basically a layered shepard's pie...with a layer of hamburg, a layer of corn and covered with potato.....I have seen people say they are having "goulash" on this thread and I dont think they mean the Hungarian beef, sour cream, tomato dish but not sure what they mean.....is it like the northern New England 'chop suey"?

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM

849 posts, read 1,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I do them Morrocan-style, and Nigella's recipe here is a good version...or use Harissa paste in place of the spices.

Aromatic lamb-shank stew with couscous: Recipes: UKTV Food
Thanks for the link. It looks good and I have everythig but marsala...I may have to substitute with Marlot I have and add a bit more honey for sweetness...

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM

23,405 posts, read 37,164,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I had an onion and sharp cheddar what do you call them, can't think of the Italian word.... it's an unfolded omelet. One of those topped with Herdez salsa and a couple of cups of freshly ground strong coffee.
fritatta

Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,401,049 times
It's my own version of salisbury steak elston..instead of ground beef I use cubed steaks.....

4 frozen, chopped sirloin patties, defrosted
3 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. vegetable oil or butter
Garlic salt
Black pepper
3 tsp. beef-flavor instant bouillon
1 to 1 1/2 c. hot water
1 lg. onion, sliced
1 (4 oz.) can mushroom pieces and stems
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Coat each side of patties well with flour. Heat oil or butter in skillet until hot. Add patties and brown on both sides. When brown, pour off excess oil. Add bouillon to hot water; stir to dissolve or sprinkle bouillon in skillet and add water and stir to dissolve.
Add onion, mushrooms, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to coat meat. Cover and simmer gently, about 25 minutes or until fork-tender. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Makes 4 servings.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,510,696 times
Good morning all. It got down to 1 degree last night. Hubby and I were up at 5:00 am because our water froze. He had to go outside with hairdryer and melt the ice in the pipe coming into the house. It took about 40 minutes but thankfully we caught it when we did. Under normal circumstances we leave the water dripping but this house we use a water pump so we didn't do that. On the plus side we still didn't need any heat last night. Berm houses are the way to go to protect you from the elements.

To all of our northern friends, I give you all my respect. I don't know how you all survive your winters. Stay safe and warm. Last night was as cold as I "ever" want to get.

Today we are going to town because we have to get out of the house. Maybe we'll go out to eat lunch. I know, I know we never eat out. Now if only I can figure out how to break it to my hubby. Maybe because I'm such a wonderful woman, lol. I'll try that and see if it works. Wish me luck.

John- Soups are great. You can make most anything. Just start with water or broth and start adding stuff. I call it the "exploding pot" syndrome.
I made this last week and it was really good and very easy.

Spinach and Bean Soup

32oz. Chicken broth(use bouillon to save money)
3 carrots-diced
2 stalks of celery-sliced
3/4 bag fresh spinach chopped up( or cabbage)
1 cup instant brown rice(or pasta)
1 can Northern Beans
Italian seasoning
Chicken seasoning

Pour broth into a pot. Bring to a boil. Add carrots first and then celery. Lower to a simmer and cover. When tender add spinach. Then add rice and seasonings until done. Add beans last so they don't explode. Serve with parm cheese.

kshe- Thank you for the recipe. It looks great. Good luck to you.

skbs- That sounds great. You can still change into something cute when you get home. Have fun.

cyn- I am so sorry to hear about your tooth. I hope I didn't jinx everyone. Good luck in a search for a dentist. I still need 2 more crowns and I am going to have to suck it up and use the NC dentist. And my husband said "we need to cut back this year". What a way to start, lol.

Yeah- 4 weeks and no smoking. You are doing fantastic.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
Thanks for the link. It looks good and I have everythig but marsala...I may have to substitute with Marlot I have and add a bit more honey for sweetness...
Don't think the marsala is essential, any wine will do - red or white, or even OJ!!! For sweetness you can also add dried fruit - sultanas or apricots - very Moroccan

Here's a few more Moroccan lamb links... I think I might have to make something from here now... http://uktv.co.uk/Food/itematoz/sid/458/filter/L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.