Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,623,578 times

Advertisements

Denise in Fla. - I started w/a small charcoal smoker, then a large wood burning smoker, and now have a pellet grill/smoker. The pellet smoker is much easier. I can smoke a 12# brisket(takes about 16-18hrs) during the day and work at the same time(self employed). I've been gone for over 4 hrs and when I come back everything is working just fine.

Pellet grill/smokers also make great grills(some anyway) and a steak on a pellet grill is so much better than on a gas grill. I even like them alot better than on a charcoal grill.

For pellet grills/smokers look at Traeger and Louisiana Country Cookers. I have a Lou and a Traeger and like the Lou better, but the Traeger is great also.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,659,435 times
tonight is a simple night..teenage son wants pizza! so, it is whatever frozen pizza he wants, along with a salad!!!! I think we all need nights like that.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,548,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Denise in Fla. - I started w/a small charcoal smoker, then a large wood burning smoker, and now have a pellet grill/smoker. The pellet smoker is much easier. I can smoke a 12# brisket(takes about 16-18hrs) during the day and work at the same time(self employed). I've been gone for over 4 hrs and when I come back everything is working just fine.

Pellet grill/smokers also make great grills(some anyway) and a steak on a pellet grill is so much better than on a gas grill. I even like them alot better than on a charcoal grill.

For pellet grills/smokers look at Traeger and Louisiana Country Cookers. I have a Lou and a Traeger and like the Lou better, but the Traeger is great also.
I think I will probably start with a small one seeing as it's only myself and hubby. I will probably look this weekend for one seeing as our gas grill has seen better days! I've always preferred charcoal over gas.

Good morning all

Seeing as how I didn't feel good last night we will be having hubbys shrimp scampi tonight.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,343,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
I think I will probably start with a small one seeing as it's only myself and hubby. I will probably look this weekend for one seeing as our gas grill has seen better days! I've always preferred charcoal over gas.

Good morning all

Seeing as how I didn't feel good last night we will be having hubbys shrimp scampi tonight.
Sure hope today is a better day for you. Seems like so many people are getting this flu still! UGH!!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,174,896 times
I've heard this "pulled pork" term a few times here. What is that? How do you make it? My bf loves pork. Pretty soon he'll look like one too. :-) oooooooooo
I don't think he knows what pulled pork is and we might as well try it. Maybe we have and I just don't know that that is what it's called. :-(

BTW...........good morninggggggggggggggg

I think I'm doing spaghetti tonight. WW spaghetti... (waiting for Boo to think it's Weight Watchers). :-))))

I'll put the salt in AFTER the water boils this time and no oil or vinegar! :-))

Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,174,896 times
Capt....

My bf's smoker is a narrowish, tall, that he uses charcoal with thing. He also adds dried sticks to the charcoal. ?????.

He doesn't R E A L L Y have to watch it all the time but he stays outside with the radio and the beer and every time I look out, he makes like he's moving the charcoal around.

He knows the house needs to be pressure washed and is avoiding it!!

We have a huge gas BBQ grill and it's so much easier. :-)

You know when you work all week, the weekends are just not enough for everything.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:13 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,218,122 times
Morning all, I am thinking about doing some chicken tonight. Not sure how yet. I have to put on my thinking cap. I think I am also going to make a strawberry pie. I have some frozen berries in the freezer that I should probably use up.

Hope everyone is feeling better today.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,343,425 times
Tonight is king crab legs, baked potatoe with green salad and yes---tonight will be the peach cobbler. Last night I had everything in the oven and decided it was just not going to work as everything had different temps to cook on. Plus, hubbie has to have me watching American Idol with him---it's just a routine and I'd never have got it all done in time.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,056,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I've heard this "pulled pork" term a few times here. What is that? How do you make it? My bf loves pork. Pretty soon he'll look like one too.
Here's my recipe for pulled pork.

Get a boneless 4 pound shoulder cut of pork from the supermarket. Don't do a thing to it. No seasoning, no spices, nothing!

Into a crock pot, slice an onion for the bottom of the pot, add the pork, put another sliced onion on the top, and then add about 12 ounces of apple juice. Set it on low and leave it for 12 hours. (I use one yellow and one purple onion - you can use whatever you like)

After 12 hours, take out the onion and put it in a bowl for later. Remove the pork and discard the liquid. Take two forks and "pull" the pork apart. It will shred pretty easily. Once it's pulled, put it back in the crockpot. Take the onions, chop them up and toss them in as well, along with a bottle of BBQ sauce - any kind you like. Stir it all together and set it on low and leave it for 4 more hours.

Well it's done - it's hog heaven! Toss it on a hamburger bun, eat it straight, put it on top of pasta, etc. It's delicious!

Charley

Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,623,578 times
vpcats - to make pulled pork you need to buy a boston butt, it's off the front shoulder of a pig. You could use a slow cooker to make it I guess, I've only done them on a smoker. I just use some kosher salt, blk pepper, garlic, onion pwdr, paprika, or what ever is near by. Just using k.salt and pepper is fine to. Sprinkle on some worchest. sauce till it's wet and add the "rub"(mixed or individually). I get the smoker to 225*, put the butt on w/the fat cap(when you see it you'll know) down and smoke till the internal temp hits about 160-170(internal temp) or so, then foil(or you don't have to) wrap in foil or put in foil pan and cover w/foil and then you could go to the oven w/it set at 225. Don't rush it, you've got to cook it till the bone will slide out w/little to no meat on the bone(usually about 205-210 internal temp). Then let it sit covered for an hr to hr and half. Open it up and pull the meat apart w/fingers or forks.

A boston butt will be about 5-8#'s and usually takes a good 1-1.5 hrs per # to cook. Some are fast, some are slow.

Your bf has a "bullet" type smoker I bet. Good smokers, and they do take some tlc. Remember that guys like to play w/fire, and drink beer. Buy him a boston butt, some foil, and tell him he can smoke it if he washes the house first or while he's smoke'n. You gotta treat guys like kids, I'm the same way. Maybe even buy a 12pk of his fav beer. Good luck, hope I helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.