Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,154,221 times

Advertisements

I forgot here is an idea for you all... I know alot of us foodies like stuffed cabbage but I saw this!!
Stuffed cabbage soup mmm mmm!!

Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 cup raw white rice
  • 1 quart plus 2 cups chicken stock, divided
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground meatloaf mix (a combination of beef, pork and veal)
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice, eyeball it in your palm
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, half a palm full
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, eyeball it in your palm
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler into strips then finely chopped
  • 1/2-3/4 head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
Directions

Heat a sauce pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the rice and toss to coat in oil. Add 2 cups of chicken stock, bring up to a simmer, cover and cook for 16 to 18 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Heat a deep pot over medium high heat. Add the remaining extra-virgin olive oil, once hot add meat and begin to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Season the meat with allspice, coriander, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Add bay leaf, onions, garlic and carrots. Cook veggies 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften them, then add cabbage and wilt it down a bit. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and remaining stock and cover the pot. Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Once the rice is cooked, add to the soup and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and dill, adjust salt and pepper to your taste, and serve.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,201,971 times
NMS your supper sounds great!

amber thanks for my son's bday wishes I can't believe he is 19. He can't either especially waiting on the school bus today he said it seems weird he has been out of school for almost a year already. He took a big container of gravy home with him to have for breakfast in the morning so he is happy and full today.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,341,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
mwbw - what a great idea! Um..........am I invited for leftovers? I think Fedex ships overnight too!
<giggle> I think you'd have to fight the spouse for them - he takes leftovers for his lunch, and the one serving of fried rice that was left is destined for his lunch pail tomorrow. But we'd be delighted to have you join us for supper if you ever get up to Madison - and I'll get him to make you up a fresh batch!

The fried rice was accompanied by potstickers, and I am very full and content right now. Still gotta tackle the dishes, but that won't take long, even though the only dishwasher in the house is the old-fashioned Armstrong-powered one.

And on that note, I'd best be up and at 'em, so I'll talk to y'all later.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,341,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
NMS your supper sounds great!

amber thanks for my son's bday wishes I can't believe he is 19. He can't either especially waiting on the school bus today he said it seems weird he has been out of school for almost a year already. He took a big container of gravy home with him to have for breakfast in the morning so he is happy and full today.
Jax, your son is almost exactly five years younger than ours; our boy turned 24 on Sunday, and for the first time he didn't come home for a birthday celebration at all this year. He's still in school (well, sort of... double-majoring in fraternity parties and sorority girls, not necessarily in that order) and working half time, and besides, the bars up and down Third Street in La Crosse are a whole lot more fun places to celebrate one's birthday than at Mom and Dad's house.

They grow away so fast. I'm glad yours still comes home to celebrate his b-day. I hope he continues to do that. Enjoy him!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,154,221 times
Oh my how did I miss this fried rice!! MWBW a how to please...I love pot stickers!

Hey Jaxs I love sending leftovers...Your son will think tomorrow a.m. When he is eating breakfast

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,201,971 times
MWBW I know the day is coming when mine will choose another place than with family on his bday but thankful it wasn't this year. My mother said when I left home it was the hardest because I was the last one. I know they must grow and be gone but some days I would be so happy to have them back as youngins still fussing and fighting over things. Happy belated to your son as well!

amber my DS said tonight that there is nothing like mom's cooking in front of all his friends. That made me sit up a little more in my chair. He has tried to make my gravy but says it doesn't taste like mine. Good way to get mom to keep cooking for him eh? I surely will as long as the good Lord lets me!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
<giggle> I think you'd have to fight the spouse for them - he takes leftovers for his lunch, and the one serving of fried rice that was left is destined for his lunch pail tomorrow. But we'd be delighted to have you join us for supper if you ever get up to Madison - and I'll get him to make you up a fresh batch!

The fried rice was accompanied by potstickers, and I am very full and content right now. Still gotta tackle the dishes, but that won't take long, even though the only dishwasher in the house is the old-fashioned Armstrong-powered one.

And on that note, I'd best be up and at 'em, so I'll talk to y'all later.
Thanks for the invite, and I extend the same to you!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
I forgot here is an idea for you all... I know alot of us foodies like stuffed cabbage but I saw this!!
Stuffed cabbage soup mmm mmm!!

Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 cup raw white rice
  • 1 quart plus 2 cups chicken stock, divided
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground meatloaf mix (a combination of beef, pork and veal)
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice, eyeball it in your palm
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, half a palm full
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, eyeball it in your palm
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler into strips then finely chopped
  • 1/2-3/4 head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
Directions

Heat a sauce pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the rice and toss to coat in oil. Add 2 cups of chicken stock, bring up to a simmer, cover and cook for 16 to 18 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Heat a deep pot over medium high heat. Add the remaining extra-virgin olive oil, once hot add meat and begin to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Season the meat with allspice, coriander, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Add bay leaf, onions, garlic and carrots. Cook veggies 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften them, then add cabbage and wilt it down a bit. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and remaining stock and cover the pot. Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Once the rice is cooked, add to the soup and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and dill, adjust salt and pepper to your taste, and serve.

Sounds good!

I'd guess that much like with regular stuffed cabbage a dollop of sour cream wouldn't be out of place when serving.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM

563 posts, read 1,450,503 times
You good folks are NOT going to believe what I made for dinner tonight!
Well, my SO and I are outdoorsy types and we thought we would do something totally different this evening. Stew. OK, not just any stew. It started like this: 1 pound homegrown pork stew pieces, 5 red potatoes, cubed. Two fresh carrots, sliced. Three cups water, a dash of garlic salt and salt & pepper. Simple...
...Cooked in a cast iron pot on bricks in the fireplace!
It turned out extremely well, with the tang of apple wood smoke flavor....LOL!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,673,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
You good folks are NOT going to believe what I made for dinner tonight!
Well, my SO and I are outdoorsy types and we thought we would do something totally different this evening. Stew. OK, not just any stew. It started like this: 1 pound homegrown pork stew pieces, 5 red potatoes, cubed. Two fresh carrots, sliced. Three cups water, a dash of garlic salt and salt & pepper. Simple...
...Cooked in a cast iron pot on bricks in the fireplace!
It turned out extremely well, with the tang of apple wood smoke flavor....LOL!
Sounds very good. I could handle a bowl of that maybe with a dash of cayenne added to it for some zip...

My dinner add on tonight turned out to be some spiced peaches left over from Christmas. Seems there was an unopened quart still in the fridge that need to be inspected...Bliss...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink