Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,932,951 times

Advertisements

Think we're going out as my cooking juices haven't kicked in yet.

Nicolem-love stuffed peppers-now you got me thinking for tomorrow.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,375,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Nic...."gourmet"????
A hamburger will suit me just fine.....ROTFL.....
I said gourmet because honestly some of the things you guys make intimidate me I am trying to expand my cooking horizons and hopefully will watch and observe you guys

Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,375,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes, there are some amazing gourmet cooks here but many of us are just trying to learn what to make and how to do it from those great cooks. It's been a world of help to me I know!
Hi cynwldkat-yes I am watching and hopefully will learn a lot on this thread. Trying to expand my horizons beyond my George Foreman grill.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,465,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I said gourmet because honestly some of the things you guys make intimidate me I am trying to expand my cooking horizons and hopefully will watch and observe you guys
I am just busting ya....nic....LOL.
I was at that point (where you seem to be at ...no pun intended!), until I "ventured" outside my "little box" I call my "brain"....lol.
I had so many hits, AND misses...and one learns in the process.
I am like this little nutty "scientist", experimenting around in the lab....LOL.....and what helps are recipes one can easily follow.
I would be truly lost without them....and tailor most of them to mine and my familie's taste and preferences.
After a while, you will "feel" if something (seasoning, pairing ingredients, cooking method) will work....or not.
I never, ever though I "had" it.....but being told otherwise by my husband/ family and friends now, and cooking actually kind of "grew" on me (Absolutely HATED it before....huh )
My hope would be to be as good, or close to being "as good" as my mom or my mom-in-law.....but wonder, if that will ever happen in my lifetime.
I'll just keep on trying....and setting my house on fire in the cooking process.......ROTFL.

Last edited by MB2; 03-05-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
no - actually I was being bombarded at work yesterday by DH and DD requesting Chicken Parm....when DH offered to go get the stuff I didn't have I knew he was serious...I'll probably make the chicken casserole tomorrow.
That's awesome. You now have a family favorite. You'll have to start a family cookbook and put in all the recipes that they love.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,979,775 times
LOL - yeah.....they seem to like everything I've made so far. Not bad for a beginner I guess. The only thing is....I really don't enjoy cooking....its a chore to me. But I'm doing it anyway. I have to find some more healthy recipes though....I really need to lose weight....all this frying can't possibly be good for that lol

How's Jeffrey?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,438,978 times
Through experience here on this thread I have learned that when I read a good sounding dish I request for the poster to post the recipe for us. Then, first thing I do is put it in my recipe file here on my computer. Seems the pages fly by here and it is so hard to locate the recipe within a few days. Now I open my recipe file and there are so many really great ideas and recipes. I probably have at least 30 new recipes all from here. So far I have tried several and all have been wonderful!!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,465,015 times
I did the same thing, and tried out a recipe for chicken, taking the recipe from a member in the recipe thread.
Turned out wonderful, and I just used a different cheese as a substitute.
So, there's hope for all of us "beginners", girls!! LOL

Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,234,990 times
Jeff is doing pretty good. We haven't given him any pain medication today and he seems to be fine. We go to the doc tommorrow morning at 10. Hopefully everything will turn out ok.

Congrats on your cooking success. I haven't tried anything new lately. Time to dust off my cookbooks and surprise the family.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 AM

601 posts, read 1,909,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Check out some recipes on the food network. (Have tried several of their recipes, either in original/ posted form, or tailored it to my own likings.....always with very, very good results.....so far! )
Here's some of my advice....
* always look at the ingredients in a recipe. If you like the ingredients....fine. But, if there are items in there, you don't particularly care of, see, if you can substitute it with something else you DO like.
* Larger/ bigger/ older fish has higher levels of mercury.
If you try to consume fish as part of your diet, try to alternate with smaller/ younger fish (Tilapia, for example)
* Mahi Mahi (or dolpin) is almost to be prepared like a "steak", the flesh not being flaky, but dense in texture.
It's a "robust" tasting fish, and holds up excellent during the grilling process.
* Make sure when you purchase Mahi Mahi at your local grocer, to have them leave the skin ON, but take the "bloodline" out. Fish holds up better during grilling (unless prepared in a aluminum pouch on the grill) if the skin is left on...or some will fall to bits and pieces all over the place. Also, the "bloodline is not edible (not to mention questionable in sight....brrrrrr )...it also contains little bones or "spines". (Don't know how else I could put it)
*Get some prep ideas online for recipes. (Highly recommend it!)

Hope, I was able to help you out a little bit......but the cooking, you've got to do yourself.....LOL.
thnx! will try the online search suggestion..........happy cooking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink