Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,420,970 times

Advertisements

Tonight will be left-over cabbage rolls stuffed with ground meat.

After all the good food over Christmas and New Year I must try to cook a bit from the low-fat / low-sugar / low-everything cookbook and do a bit more of this:

The problem with the exercising is the sore muscles. So I might stay with my usual cooking lol.

Have a great Monday all!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 AM

48,534 posts, read 22,157,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Happy New Year to everyone here by the way !

Tonight I am making comfort food. I decided to make "Kedgeree" which I love and used to be very popular in Britain among the old "colonial" class of Brits ( I think it is an Anglo-Indian dish as far as I know). Usually served at breakfast but I am not one to let this in the way...

Delicious !

Kedgeree: Recipes: UKTV Food
Hello Mooseketeer

This sounds like a dish we would like.....but I need a bit of assistance, to convert grams to American measurements. How much is 450 g of fish; 85 g of butter; 170 g of rice;140 g of peas???

I believe I could use "finnan haddie" which is available here in the market.

Do you think the red and yellow currys sold by a Thai Company would be the same? I really want to try to make this.

Cyn directed me to a site that did the conversion for me.

Last edited by elston; 01-05-2009 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: got the conversion thing on line

Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,438,978 times
Welcome to all the newbies. This is a fun place to come and relax, share, laugh and learn!!

First off, elston and MWBW...as I read your posts regarding my "gurmpies" yesterday I got so emotional. What lovely things to say and a good way to make that grumpy feeling disappear! Thank you my friends! I feel better so far today. I know it's not fun for DH but when I can't stand myself then I know I'm being pretty miserable! Ha! Just one more step down and away from that ugly nicotine. I never felt the urge to smoke necessairly or no more then what it has been this last few days, I just felt cranky. So far today seems like I'm ok.

Day 17--no smoking!

Bean soup for lunch as it has now had time to get it's full flavor. DH doesn't consider soup a dinner in itself...sigh....It is completely safisfying for me but he needs his meat and potatoes!

Tonight we are having ring bologna with potatoes and bean soup.

Thanks Kats for hitting that big 20,000 mark for us! No better discussion for that then chocolate!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 AM

I was thinking of trying my hand at home made bread to go with the soup......or I could go the easy route and do "johnny cake" (corn bread)... I am so looking forward to it.

PS as soon as I wrote johnny cake i knew this was what I wanted to have with my soup.....(johnny cake is from the term "journey cake" used in old new england....it is what my Dad called it--and we make it considerably less sweet than the packaged corn bread mixes.)

Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,563,282 times
Good morning all,

Elston while I have you on line. Can I make the bean soup without the ham bone? I don't have one. Thanks. I asked last night but I can't even find the page, LOL.

I'll be back later. Waiting for my coffee and than it's story time. It should take me about an hour.

Lisa

Old 01-05-2009, 06:50 AM

Elston, just go to Google search and type in "pounds to grams" and some sites for conversions come up. That should answer your question about the measurements.

Here is one I found that way.....

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ou...ter-d_217.html

Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good morning all,

Elston while I have you on line. Can I make the bean soup without the ham bone? I don't have one. Thanks. I asked last night but I can't even find the page, LOL.

I'll be back later. Waiting for my coffee and than it's story time. It should take me about an hour.

Lisa
"Can We Talk?"

The ham bone is a lovely start...but do not be discouraged....Hurst Company site lists recipes for the soup using smoked sausage, or chicken or beef....a traditional vermont bean soup uses a turkey carcaas. So if your not vegetarian....you can use a variety of meats.....what ya got to start with from ham hocks to chicken bones I think you will do fine......BUT don't use the nasty flavor package that comes in the beans. I will check back to see what your up to. I never let the lack of an ingredient dissuade me from cooking something good up in my kitchen.

Here is a recipe site that has a non hambone version...... http://www.recipezaar.com/15-Bean-Soup-51803 but the most important thing is to liberate yourself....use the recipe as a guide.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 AM

DH felt ya'll might be interested in this bit of information so I copied and pasted it here!! He sent it to me in an email this morning! Pretty funny actually.

I had to go into the kitchen and check this out for myself. Whoever looks
at the
end of your aluminum foil box? You know when you try to pull some foil
out and
the roll comes out of the box. Then you have to put the roll back in the
box and start over. The darn roll always comes out at the wrong time.Well, I
would like
to share this with you. Yesterday I went to throw out an empty Reynolds
foil box
and for some reason I turned it and looked at the end of the box. And
written on
the end it said, Press here to lock end. Right there on the end of the
box is a
tab to lock the roll in place. How long has this little locking tab been
there?
I then looked at a generic brand of aluminum foil and it had one, too. I
then
looked at a box of Saran wrap and it had one too! I can't count the
number of
times the Saran wrap roll has jumped out when I was trying to cover
something
up.I'm sharing this with my friends. I hope I'm not the only person that
didn't
know about this.

Don't you act like you all ready knew this.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 AM

I didnt know that and have been forever troubled by the jumping roll of wrap! Thanks for that....now I have to go look and refill my coffee cup. (I got a great hand thrown coffee mug with a raven image on it for christmas....crow and raven are special to me I love it.)

Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Elston, just go to Google search and type in "pounds to grams" and some sites for conversions come up. That should answer your question about the measurements.

Here is one I found that way.....

Ounces and Pounds converted into Grams
Thank You Cyn.....that takes care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink