Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times

Advertisements

Old reliables tonight, spaghetti & meatballs, garlic bread, chianti.

Simple, tasty, and satisfying.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Tonight was a find what you can night, had friends over and baked christmas cookies all day long, boy am I pooped!
Have a good night all!!!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,756 times
Nomad, you've had some trying days last few days...Grilled cheese and tomato soup sounds perfect.

I've cooked roast the way you cook at high heat for a while, turn off heat and leave in oven for 2 hours. It has worked okay. Now I do high heat for about 20 minutes then 225 for the reminder of time, depending on the size of the roast. Take it out of oven and let rest for 20 minutes. Something like that.

Tonight was spaghetti, defrosted sauce from last week, made some garlic bread. I was busy putting Christmas tree up and decorating the living room. DH is coming down with a chest cold and didn't have much of an appetite, so it was a quick and easy dinner night. Made DH some hot toddy and sent him to bed. He has another interview tomorrow, so I want him rested and well.

Tomorrow, Tonkatsu (Japanese style pork cutlet, panko breaded and deep fried) and cabbage salad with rice. That's my plan for now.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
crazy and cyn.. this is the recipe I'm going to try. It seems to have all the ingredients of the one I tasted.

Cranberry Salsa Recipe

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 an apple, peeled and cored
Chopped serrano or jalapeno chili to taste (about a half a chili, but taste for desired heat)
4 Tbsp sugar
Zest of one orange
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Dash of lime or lemon juice
Dash of salt
Method
1 Either grind cranberries and apple together in a grinder, or pulse in a food processor until coarsely shredded, around 10 short pulses.

2 Combine shredded cranberries, orange zest, chile, and sugar in a medium bowl. Let sit 15 minutes for the cranberries to macerate (soften in the sugar). Add cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste.

Makes a little less than 2 cups.
Thanks so much for posting this, Gentle- I showed it to the spouse, and he made up a batch for supper tonight. It is really, really good; the layers of flavors are complex and interesting, and they work very well together.

The first flavor to hit was the cilantro. That's really more of a scent than a flavor, of course, which explains why it has such a fast impact. The relatively small quantity of cilantro, though, made it more of a harmonizing factor than a dominant flavor, which was exactly what this salsa requires.

The next thing we perceived was the sweet-and-sour notes of the cranberries, apples, orange zest and sugar. That all works well together, of course, as anyone who enjoyed a big Thanksgiving feast a week and a half ago can attest!

The final note is the heat from the chile, and it added a bright overtone to all the preceding flavor notes. After several mouthfuls, the heat became a fairly consistent factor, but never reached the point of overpowering the rest of the flavor symphony.

All in all, a very, very fine salsa, and one that we will use again in the future. Thanks again for sharing it!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
So, in addition to Gentlearts' excellent cranberry salsa, we had grilled salmon (the salsa was a very nice complement to that, by the way) and squash soup, with the leftover cornbread from breakfast. Very good, fairly light, but substantial enough that I won't feel like raiding the refrigerator before bedtime. Dishes still await me, so I won't chat long.

Happy evening, all, best of luck for Monday. And I hope that the weather gurus are wrong about the 6" to 12" of the cold white stuff they're promising us by Tuesday night.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:09 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
Well, the family room is Back Together! But the rest of the house is still upside down I have a ton of work to do tomorrow. BUT!!!!! My family room looks AMAZING I love my new hardwood floor and it just MAKES the whole room!!! And the new woodwork and paint! YIPPEE!!!!! And we did it ourselves....that blows my mind.....

SO, dinner WAS delivery.... and we nibbled between restaging! The kids were thrilled with the menu choice- CHEESE- simple and slightly greasy- just the way it should be ..... One slice left- hopefully it has MY NAME all over it for breakfast!!!!!! LOL I love cold pizza for breakfast.

Now, that salsa..... I think I am going to have to try it! I LOVE cilantro for starters and the ingredients are so interesting!!!!

Jimj enjoy your cookies! I always just steal from my mom's stash...LOL (you all do know I don't bake)

Nomad... Your poor mother! You really do need a break.... thoughts and prayers my friend.....

MWBW.... I am right there with you on the snow..... not lookin' forward to it at all......stay warm and drive safe.....

See you all tomorrow!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:49 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,297,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I found this on another thread and decided to try it with a roast tonight. All I can say was it was incredible. Great way to cook an eye of the round.

This might sound weird, but trust me, the result will be fabulous. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Take a 2 to 3 pound eye of round and rub it with your favorite dry steak rub, or just salt and pepper. Turn the oven down to 475. Put the roast in the oven in a roasting pan - no water, and do not cover. Roast for 7 minutes per pound (that's not a typo - 7 minutes). Turn the oven off, but DON"T OPEN THE OVEN DOOR FOR 2 1/2 HOURS. That's it. Slice across the grain. The roast will be perfectly done, juicy and tender.
This is the way I do my turkey!!!! 500 for one hour, 200 for about 8 hours. Always is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I did get a good grilled cheese with the tomato soup for tonight. Wife has a very good dinner planned for tomorrow night but I'm not going to say yet. I really do not want to take a chance and jinx it.
Sounds good! Sleep tight!

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
LOL..... the pizza didn't make it to breakfast..... it's sittin' in my belly...... oh well......just can't resist that cold pizza!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
LOL..... the pizza didn't make it to breakfast..... it's sittin' in my belly...... oh well......just can't resist that cold pizza!
Well I stayed up to check on Diva sodes but none tonight so I'm calling it a day. I will check for the latest tomorrow when posting the final dinner plan. This is going to be simple enough I can start it. Good night all. got to catch some z's.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Good morning all-

Noma waiting to hear what your surprise dinner will be.

We're off early to the doc for follow up and results on Mr. L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink