Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 08:54 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Snow, Snow and more snow..... and no more soup! It went so fast! Everyone ate and ate and ate! Which is a compliment.... coming from MY kids I might make it every day! LOL KIDDING!!!!
Just don't make pink chicken soup. That won't fly...

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
That might be it. Sage is a biggie with sausage--really adds something!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:01 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Good morning everyone,

I tried creating the above last night. Used apples, fennel, onion, celery, red pepper and garlic along with caraway, parsley, cinnamon and a pinch of brown sugar and once sauted, added it to the rice.

It wasn't bad ... but it was missing something. Neither my wife nor I have been able to figure out what that someone was but we know it was incomplete.
If you saute the veggies, then add the rice to the veggies and stir-fry a little, then add stock and simmer till rice is done, you'd have a kind of risotto with a deeper flavor than cooking them separately.

And maybe add a splish of Worcestershire sauce...

Old 11-16-2008, 10:03 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That might be it. Sage is a biggie with sausage--really adds something!
Interesting. We do have some leftover rice. I'll add sage and let you know. (Of course, we'll be having it with chicken ... lol)

Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
If you saute the veggies, then add the rice to the veggies and stir-fry a little, then add stock and simmer till rice is done, you'd have a kind of risotto with a deeper flavor than cooking them separately.

And maybe add a splish of Worcestershire sauce...
Oh that's also very interesting!! I love the ideas that come from my fellow foodies!!! Thanks.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:09 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,164,582 times
I'm going to do a lazy version of chicken cordon bleu. Instead of pounding the breasts flat, rolling up the ham and swiss inside, and then browning them before adding the sauce ingredients, I dump everything in a casserole dish and bake it.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Default It Keeps Going And Going Like The Energizer Bunny

I continue to be amazed at the longevity of this wonderful thread. My goodness, it just never stops, with thousands of pages of posts.

And the food selections you people have selected all these weeks and months have been sensational. Keep it up, and happy eating!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,523 times
Default Been gone a while..but I'm back

Hi All! Been gone...but hope to get back into the discussion! Taking our time at settling in in our new Wash. location. We went to a fantastic play in Seattle last night and had lasagna, steamed veggies and salad for the dinner,
followed by pumpkin pie and apple spiced tea after the play. I have missed all the great dinner ideas and boy I sure appreciate all the yummy ideas.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Just spoke to our youngest grand and she's so very tired. Seems my wonderful daughter has taken in 3 boys ages 3,4,5 who's parents are drug infected and has taken them under her wing (she has 6 kids of her own!!). What a blessing she and her kids are.

Nite all and see you tomrrow.
Your sister sounds wonderful. Must run in the family. God bless her and all the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I am going to cook some pork chops in the slow cooker (can you do that??) .
Nope.. Against the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
Hi All! Been gone...but hope to get back into the discussion! Taking our time at settling in in our new Wash. location. We went to a fantastic play in Seattle last night and had lasagna, steamed veggies and salad for the dinner,
followed by pumpkin pie and apple spiced tea after the play. I have missed all the great dinner ideas and boy I sure appreciate all the yummy ideas.
Welcome back, daytripper. Best of luck in your new home.

OK. Last night's potroast report. DH did some different things. He put strips of real smokey bacon over the roast, then dumped baby carrots and sliced yellow and green (zucchini) squash over it with chunks of onion. We also had smashed red taters. Oh, what that bacon did to the roast. Yum. However, he still hasn't figured out it takes longer than an hour and a half to cook so that it'll be tender. OH, well, it was still delicious, just a bit on the chewy side!

Congratulate me - I just put my first pecan pie in the oven about 25 minutes ago and it smells wonderful. And, no, it's NOT a Mrs. Smith!

Dinner tonight? Glad you asked. Prime rib roast. Other than that and pecan pie for dessert, I'm not sure what else besides baked potato.

Talk to y'all later....gotta check on that pie!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
NMS....congratualtions on your first pecan pie! I love pecan pie but have never mustered up the courage to make one myself! Enjoy!

case44, yes, it's true! This thread has amazed us all I think. But we all have to eat and what better way to do that then to share ideas here?? It's all those wonderful, faithful posters who have made this thread such a fun place to come!

daytripper, you have been missed! So good to see you back. Enjoy your new home and keep coming back sharing what is going on and what dinners you are making!

Welcome janetvj! This is a fun thread with so much great information and helpful tips from some wonderful cooks/friends. Keep coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.