Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,894,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
You have no idea how much I need that excuse!

LOL It's just sad that is how my mind works... I can do it for pretty much any junk food... LOL.... give me anything and I can help you out.....

Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 AM

2,409 posts, read 6,016,162 times
steak, rice and veggies tonight for dinner.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:21 AM

849 posts, read 1,958,268 times
I made chili for tonight. Of course I had to test some last night to make sure all the seasoning is ok. So had a bowl with onions and cheese, some tortilla chips on the side. YUM! Since my family's home today, we may be having chili for lunch and chicken/bacon sandwich for dinner. I picked up some Grande biscuits yesterday at store because they were on sale and I had coupons on top of that. I'm gonna look up some desert recipe using biscuit and some apples I want to use up...any ideas?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,118,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I made chili for tonight. Of course I had to test some last night to make sure all the seasoning is ok. So had a bowl with onions and cheese, some tortilla chips on the side. YUM! Since my family's home today, we may be having chili for lunch and chicken/bacon sandwich for dinner. I picked up some Grande biscuits yesterday at store because they were on sale and I had coupons on top of that. I'm gonna look up some desert recipe using biscuit and some apples I want to use up...any ideas?
How about 2 from my personal heroine Paula Deen:
Canned Biscuit Dough Donuts and Holes

Ingredients:
2 cans large buttermilk biscuits
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Colored sprinkles
Chocolate sprinkles
2 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
1/4 cup cocoa powder
5 tablespoon milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut oil, for frying

Directions:
Heat 2-inches peanut oil in a large pot or dutch oven to 350 degrees F.

In a shallow bowl, stir together the sugar and ground cinnamon, set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, set aside. This is the vanilla icing. In another bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of milk, set aside. This is the chocolate icing.

Lay out the biscuits on a cutting board and with a 1-1/2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out a hole from the middle of each biscuit. Fry them in the oil until golden and then flip with tongs to fry the other side. You can even fry the donut holes. Drain on paper towels and then toss in the cinnamon-sugar or glaze and sprinkle as desired.

Yield: 16-20 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy

Or one we did recently:

Fried Apple PiesPrep Time: 15 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 40 min Level:
Easy Serves:
8 servings 2 tablespoons butter
4 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced, or 1 can apple pie filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 (8-piece) container refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
2 tablespoons water
Powdered sugar

Filling: Add the butter to a large saute pan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
When the filling is cool, roll the biscuits out on a lightly floured surface so that each biscuit forms a 7 to 8-inch circle. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on each biscuit circle. Brush the edges of the circle with water. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Seal by pressing the edges with the tines of a fork.

Preheat deep-fryer with oil to 350 degrees F.

Carefully add the pies to the oil, 1 at a time, and fry until golden brown, turning the pies as necessary for even browning, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,912,841 times
I know now that chicken is going to be involved but as to sides I need to work on those.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,385,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How about 2 from my personal heroine Paula Deen:
Canned Biscuit Dough Donuts and Holes

Ingredients:
2 cans large buttermilk biscuits
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Colored sprinkles
Chocolate sprinkles
2 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
1/4 cup cocoa powder
5 tablespoon milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut oil, for frying

Directions:
Heat 2-inches peanut oil in a large pot or dutch oven to 350 degrees F.

In a shallow bowl, stir together the sugar and ground cinnamon, set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, set aside. This is the vanilla icing. In another bowl, whisk together 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of milk, set aside. This is the chocolate icing.

Lay out the biscuits on a cutting board and with a 1-1/2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out a hole from the middle of each biscuit. Fry them in the oil until golden and then flip with tongs to fry the other side. You can even fry the donut holes. Drain on paper towels and then toss in the cinnamon-sugar or glaze and sprinkle as desired.

Yield: 16-20 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy

Or one we did recently:

Fried Apple PiesPrep Time: 15 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 40 min Level:
Easy Serves:
8 servings 2 tablespoons butter
4 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced, or 1 can apple pie filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 (8-piece) container refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
2 tablespoons water
Powdered sugar

Filling: Add the butter to a large saute pan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
When the filling is cool, roll the biscuits out on a lightly floured surface so that each biscuit forms a 7 to 8-inch circle. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on each biscuit circle. Brush the edges of the circle with water. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Seal by pressing the edges with the tines of a fork.

Preheat deep-fryer with oil to 350 degrees F.

Carefully add the pies to the oil, 1 at a time, and fry until golden brown, turning the pies as necessary for even browning, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately.
Oh that sounds wonderful and pretty simple too! Thanks for sharing---it is in my recipe file!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM

12,227 posts, read 21,591,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Tonight we had Taco Stuffed Shells.
Did she say taco?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 AM

12,227 posts, read 21,591,169 times
I am going to try Cyn's soy sauce marinated chicken thighs tonight, rice or pasta and spinach on the side.

I can't wait!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,960,685 times
Tonight is leftover ribs from yesterday, and leftover spaghetti and meatballs from the weekend. BF's grandmother passed away late Saturday night and he is off to Ohio and New York for a week for the funeral/burial. I wish I could go....but I have Homecoming this Friday and I supervise the dance team that performs at half time.

Anyway, got to clean out the fridge of stuff before he goes.......

Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,792,951 times
It my DD 16th birthday today so she gets to choose dinner. Ribeyes, mashed potatoes and peas. Did I mention that I HATE peas? I'll cook em but I ain't gonna eat em!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink