Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:50 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Gordon's technique is how you want to scramble an egg. I truly don't care how grandma did it. Grandma probably doesn't have a wheelbarrow full of Michelin stars.

And Julia Child said it best -- if the eggs are done in the pan, they're sure to be overdone on the plate. I always order my eggs over easy because scrambled eggs in restaurants are invariably a disappointment. If I want scrambled eggs done right, I'll do them myself.

Too many people too worried about how it looks in the pan. Too many people salt at the beginning (grainy eggs) instead of at the end. It just isn't worth it to order it and send it back. That's a waste of eggs. I don't have time to instruct the willfully-ignorant how to properly make this dish. They're all hung up on cooking them to an exact temperature instead of getting it right.

Most places can do proper over-easy. But it is a rare restaurant that can make a decent scramble.

And I NEVER, EVER use pasteurized eggs at home. I go to the hen house and collect breakfast.

I find most restaurants can't do poached, scrambled or over easy. Sunny side up is the best bet!

Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I find most restaurants can't do poached, scrambled or over easy. Sunny side up is the best bet!
You are SO right!!!! Frankly it make me feel better - if even a RESTAURANT can't do it right, how is little old ME supposed to figure it out?

Old 02-02-2016, 12:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Gordon's technique is how you want to scramble an egg. I truly don't care how grandma did it. Grandma probably doesn't have a wheelbarrow full of Michelin stars.
Nope. It's how YOU want to scramble an egg. And apparently, how Gordon does as well. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't have to care how grandma did it. You're not eating grandma's eggs. As usual, you're operating under the conceit that personal taste should be universally standardized, for some odd reason (probably linked to a reverence for things like Michelin stars).

Now, as it happens, my grandma's scrambled eggs sucked, as did a lot of her stuff that fell outside the range of baked goods. My mom's are pretty decent, though. We raised chickens, which kept a great supply of a variety of eggs on hand. Mine are alright, hit and miss depending on what multitasking I'm doing while preparing them...reality of life with an infant. My husband's are too soft and runny. I prefer them more set up and less moist to the touch. I enjoy a runny yolk, in and of itself, and make a good over-easy. But on the occasion that I choose scrambled, I don't want them to be soft to the point of gooey. Or, as my dad calls them, "snotty eggs."When I make them for my husband, I'll make them much softer than I'd ever eat them, though.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Now, as it happens, my grandma's scrambled eggs sucked
My mother used to make these things she called omelets. She would beat the eggs with an egg beater, one of those hand-crank models. When the pan was hot, and by hot, I mean the heat was turned all the way up, she would put butter, then the eggs, then the velveeta and spam which I had cut into cubes into the pan. And she would let it sit on the stovetop until the heat reached up to the top of the eggs, and the "omelet" was cooked through. Burnt on the bottom, of course. My mother hated to cook (until years later, when she discovered Julia).

These were the opposite of soft scrambled eggs.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
...But it is a rare restaurant that can make a decent scramble...
That's because there's no ROI for taking the time (and that carton of liquid eggs isn't very motivational).

Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
I use a low heat (or if I'm using the same pan that I fried the bacon in I just turn the heat off altogether and wait a couple minutes for the pan to cool down a bit) and add either cream, creme fraiche or sour cream (not low fat versions, they're too liquidy) and stir constantly. Sometimes I chuck in some chopped tomatoes, garlic and feta cheese at the end though I think next time I'll try frying the tomatoes first for a bit to get them nice and soft and sweet.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 AM

677 posts, read 653,386 times
Quote:

And Julia Child said it best -- if the eggs are done in the pan, they're sure to be overdone on the plate. I always order my eggs over easy because scrambled eggs in restaurants are invariably a disappointment. If I want scrambled eggs done right, I'll do them myself.

Too many people too worried about how it looks in the pan. Too many people salt at the beginning (grainy eggs) instead of at the end. It just isn't worth it to order it and send it back. That's a waste of eggs. I don't have time to instruct the willfully-ignorant how to properly make this dish. They're all hung up on cooking them to an exact temperature instead of getting it right.

Most places can do proper over-easy. But it is a rare restaurant that can make a decent scramble.

And I NEVER, EVER use pasteurized eggs at home. I go to the hen house and collect breakfast.
And I can show you tons of super-renowned chefs, with plenty of awards to their names, that do it differently from how Gordon did it there. Essentially everything after that first paragraph I can agree totally with. However, my contention is with not whisking them up first ... I have worked for some great chefs, and I have read and watched top chefs ... in my opinion you whip them before they go in the pan, and many agree.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
And I can show you tons of super-renowned chefs, with plenty of awards to their names, that do it differently from how Gordon did it there. Essentially everything after that first paragraph I can agree totally with. However, my contention is with not whisking them up first ... I have worked for some great chefs, and I have read and watched top chefs ... in my opinion you whip them before they go in the pan, and many agree.

Once people know how to scramble eggs the classic way, they are welcome to venture out of the box and experiment. But what we have in this thread is a lot of people who have never done it right and don't even know how scrambled eggs are supposed to taste, offering advice.

I agree that there are many paths to the same mountaintop. But there are even more pitfalls to avoid. Gordon's video will get them to the top if they choose to pay attention.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:20 PM

51 posts, read 88,343 times
very low heat and adding more butter as you stir......cook them slow.
First time I ever had soft scrambled eggs was when I was working at the Hotel Meridien, in Boston. The Cafe Fleuri made a dish called Joie de Vivre.

To.Die.For.

Truly.

I have never been able to eat scrambled eggs again, unless they were soft scrambled.

Properly cooked soft scrambled eggs are not runny, at all. Just soft and creamy.
There is a definite mouth feel to them when they are done right.

Heaven on Earth!

Old 02-03-2016, 02:35 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
I had never had soft scrambled until I had my Uncle Bill's. He used to get up early and go to sunrise mass, then come home and make himself some soft scrambled eggs. My mother's were always hard. (She couldn't cook anything actually.) Ever since I started cooking for myself, that's how I make mine, like Uncle Bill's. Slightly beaten with a splash of half and half, medium pan, fold them over themselves a couple times and take them off the heat.
My husband likes his so done they're brown on the bottom! Actually, I'm not sure he really likes them that way, or if he makes them that way on purpose so that I'll chase him out of the kitchen and take over the cooking. I do take mine out of the pan and let his sit longer in the hot pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink