Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,501,223 times

Advertisements

I like scrambled eggs for breakfast, but they gunk up a pan and spatula really bad, and I hate having to scrub them every single day. I'd like to scramble a dozen at once.

Would they store well in a glass storage container? How do you heat them in the microwave without turning them rubbery? Any tips on how to get pre-made fresh tasting eggs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Dont overcook to begin with. Make sure to add some liquid like milk or water for extra moisture which really isnt necessary if your eating all of them right away. Tightly sealed. Cover tightly with paper towel and reheat in microwave until just steaming. You'll have to experiment with the time as every microwave is different.

I make huge breakfast egg skillet scrambles for the family all the time which inclues meats, cheeses and potatoes. Leftovers usually last for two more days then they are gone.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
I've kept them three days on occasion, went looking for some backup facts.... found this:

Quote:
Any food stored indefinitely in the fridge will start to grow bacteria or mold. According to Katherine Zeratsky, a nutritionist at the Mayo Clinic, you can keep cooked food in the fridge for up to four days. If you can't eat the leftovers within those four days, store them in the freezer.

How Long Can You Keep Scrambled Eggs in the Refrigerator? | eHow

Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
I read that "article" and the following sentence makes me wonder if they really thought things out...

"If you have a power outage and the temperature of the refrigerator drops..."

I'm thinking that can only happen in a place like Siberia.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks all. I'm gonna try it today. Wish I liked boiled eggs, that would be so much easier, but I just can't stomach the sulfur smell and flavor.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I read that "article" and the following sentence makes me wonder if they really thought things out...

"If you have a power outage and the temperature of the refrigerator drops..."

I'm thinking that can only happen in a place like Siberia.
Ha ha, good catch.

She also calls smoked salmon highly perishable -- I thought the purpose of smoking salmon was to preserve it? No?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
I have some eggs that I have frozen .
I have chickens and a surplus of eggs , so I broke them one at a time and scrambled them and put them in separate zip lock freezer bags portioned 4 eggs per.
They are being stored in my deep freezer so I can thaw and use what I want at random .
Freezing eggs does change their texture, but I don't know how much the food value is changed.
We'll see later with some experimentation.
However I am told that some folk make their own powdered eggs by just cooking and scrambling them till they are dry and storing them in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and a vacuum.
that will be my next project . I have a good resource of eggs to do that with.
"Survivalist forum" has several folk that store eggs as well.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Thanks all. I'm gonna try it today. Wish I liked boiled eggs, that would be so much easier, but I just can't stomach the sulfur smell and flavor.
Wait... if your hard-boiled eggs smell like sulfur, they've been overcooked. And if the yolks turn green they're overcooked.

I have a $5 gadget that looks like a red plastic egg, that you put in the pot with the eggs when you boil them, and it changes color to show when the eggs are done. Since I got it I never have green yolks or sulfur smell in hard boiled eggs.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 AM

652 posts, read 1,654,403 times
Buy a nonstick pan and nonstick spatula.

If you do want to make a batch it might be better to freeze them than to keep them in the fridge.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
Buy a nonstick pan and nonstick spatula.

If you do want to make a batch it might be better to freeze them than to keep them in the fridge.
I have nonstick both, and I spray them with cooking spray and it's still a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink