Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times

Advertisements

Everyone it seems is into Greek yogurt like crazy right now. All of a sudden everyone is walking around with Chobani, Oikos, Fage, etc. Not so much before.

I've never been a fan of yogurt because I don't like the texture. I don't like pudding for the same reason.

But I recently bought these Healthy Choice frozen yogurt cups but IMO they're a little pricy or such small cups. Like I said, I don't like regular yogurt texture and I've sampled Greek yogurt and the sour cream like taste makes me gag.

But these Healthy Choice cups are really good. I'm assuming it's because being frozen has changed the texture and thus altered the taste.

Could I buy the cheaper yogurt cups and just freeze them? I know they're meant to be refrigerated but the taste is so less severe to me when frozen. Maybe I'm tasting it and thinking about it being ice cream so hard I'm ignoring the taste. Or any of them - Chobani, Fage, whatever just keep it in the freezer until it's hard like ice cream then eat it.

Would that make them go bad or something? The altered taste is what I want to lose the sour cream taste. At least to me it taste like sour cream with sugar and I really hate the taste of sour cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I've never frozen Greek yogurt -- I like it too much in its unfrozen state -- but I have frozen regular yogurt. Like you, I was never a fan of regular yogurt because of its consistency (same for pudding, like you said... blech!) and thought that by freezing it, I'd end up with, um, frozen yogurt. But it doesn't solidify quite the way I thought it would.

Definitely try it, though. It won't go bad.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've never frozen Greek yogurt -- I like it too much in its unfrozen state -- but I have frozen regular yogurt. Like you, I was never a fan of regular yogurt because of its consistency (same for pudding, like you said... blech!) and thought that by freezing it, I'd end up with, um, frozen yogurt. But it doesn't solidify quite the way I thought it would.

Definitely try it, though. It won't go bad.

So it doesn't solidify like ice cream? What does it look like?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 PM

170 posts, read 322,994 times
Homemade Frozen Greek Yogurt « Baking Bites

Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Some Chobani yogurt has fruit on the bottom, it seems like that may freeze solid. You certainly wouldn't be able to mix it in.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
So it doesn't solidify like ice cream? What does it look like?
Honestly, I don't remember more than that there was a thin, solid layer on top. But I don't remember the rest. It wasn't BAD -- it just wasn't what I expected. Try it with one cup and see if you like it.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
They do make greek frozen yogurt in pints in the supermarkets by me and they also sell them as frozen yogurt popsicles. Ben and Jerry's make it,another brand is called yasso, yoplait, and stonyfield oikos are all frozen greek yogurts.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Sure you can freeze yogurt. You can even add some stuff you like into it ( nuts, flavor, fruit etc) and make pops.
Look at all those beautiful options you have here:
frozen yogurt pops - Google Search
I make my own using just a plain yogurt, flavors and frozen fruit. There are many variations to try

Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times
I detest the sour cream taste of yogurt and also don't care for the texture. The only way I'll eat it is if I freeze it and then add it, frozen, to a smoothie. (So yes, you can freeze it. I buy whatever is on sale... plain, with fruit, Greek, etc., and put them directly into the freezer.) Depending upon the kind/brand, sometimes I have to cut the container off the frozen yogurt in order to get it out.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I detest the sour cream taste of yogurt and also don't care for the texture. The only way I'll eat it is if I freeze it and then add it, frozen, to a smoothie. (So yes, you can freeze it. I buy whatever is on sale... plain, with fruit, Greek, etc., and put them directly into the freezer.) Depending upon the kind/brand, sometimes I have to cut the container off the frozen yogurt in order to get it out.
Me too I do not like the texture and taste of greek yogurt but my husband loves it. I do like sour cream though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink