Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM

87 posts, read 383,505 times

Advertisements

In our family, we probably eat fast food at least once or twice a week. It is so handy when you come home from work and don't feel like cooking supper. Or for a special occasion. I realize once or twice a week is probably a low number, compared to the rest of America's busy families with all the business, activities and go-go lifestyles.
I like to cook, just not when I'm tired. I like cooking up new dishes and I try to get supper ready ahead of time and leftovers aren't so bad if you like to eat in general! So I know we could survive without it. But we would sure miss it. Especially the hamburgers and fries, tacos and mexican food at our favorite MF restaurant. And the breakfast burritos and chili cheese tator tots from Sonic. You know what I'm talkin about! Yum! The big macs, Arby-Q sandwiches, sub sandwiches with all the extras, tacos/burritos from TB, etc. There are so many good fast food places to eat. What are your favorites? What do you think? Could you live without them if you had to? How about just eating your own cooking for one month? No fast food.
I believe to some it would be like a day without sunshine. Or it could mean the difference between eating or not eating. You never know.
What would America do without it's fast food???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,333,968 times
It would be alot healthier?
I don't want to slam you, like you, I work, I have 3 kids all with their own crazy schedule and tons of homework, but I can honestly say we do fast food MAYBE once a month....and it's Subway. FF is just too expensive, in terms of $$ and health cost. Our family fast food is pasta, sandwiches, soups, tacos and salads. It takes minutes to get those on the table and it's just better for all. Oh, forgot the other food group: my glass of wine!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,660,457 times
My husband had a stroke and we went from eating fast food to eating at home. We went to a family reunion the other day and just let ourselves go. On the way home I mentioned fixing chicken breast and corn on the cob and we both exclaimed how much better that would be than the junk we had eaten that day. Good for you food is actually better than that stuff with all the fat. We are back to our healthy lifestyle.

It is possible to prepare a salad ahead of time and serve it with sliced lean ham and turkey. If you can't eat right now, you can have grapes, apples, or small carrots to tide you over. We keep the lean soups in the pantry.

Actually the choice is between living and dying. Everybody is making that same choice, but it takes a few years to show up.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,173,570 times
What
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
In our family, we probably eat fast food at least once or twice a week. It is so handy when you come home from work and don't feel like cooking supper. Or for a special occasion. I realize once or twice a week is probably a low number, compared to the rest of America's busy families with all the business, activities and go-go lifestyles.
I like to cook, just not when I'm tired. I like cooking up new dishes and I try to get supper ready ahead of time and leftovers aren't so bad if you like to eat in general! So I know we could survive without it. But we would sure miss it. Especially the hamburgers and fries, tacos and mexican food at our favorite MF restaurant. And the breakfast burritos and chili cheese tator tots from Sonic. You know what I'm talkin about! Yum! The big macs, Arby-Q sandwiches, sub sandwiches with all the extras, tacos/burritos from TB, etc. There are so many good fast food places to eat. What are your favorites? What do you think? Could you live without them if you had to? How about just eating your own cooking for one month? No fast food.
I believe to some it would be like a day without sunshine. Or it could mean the difference between eating or not eating. You never know.
Do you have any idea what you're doing to your family? That crap twice a week? Once a month is too much.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,408,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
I hate to ask this question, but how much do you weigh? This is not a good sign eating all this food and then writing about it like this.

I almost never eat fast food. It makes me feel so sick afterwards. Today I ate a can of Cambell's chick soup with noodles and it was terrible. I only at it because I was hungry and there wasn't much to pick from. Oh, it was so salty and gross !!! I love salads and fresh fruit and vegetables. The only reason I eat crap lately is because I'm poor and my father does all the shopping...

Greenie

Old 10-09-2007, 03:41 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,310,775 times
I definitely would not miss fast food if it suddenly disappeared. I cook all my own meals, and once in awhile go out to eat. But not fast food.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,310,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I hate to ask this question, but how much do you weigh? This is not a good sign eating all this food and then writing about it like this.

I almost never eat fast food. It makes me feel so sick afterwards. Today I ate a can of Cambell's chick soup with noodles and it was terrible. I only at it because I was hungry and there wasn't much to pick from. Oh, it was so salty and gross !!! I love salads and fresh fruit and vegetables. The only reason I eat crap lately is because I'm poor and my father does all the shopping...

Greenie
Greenie, couldn't you leave a list of what you want from the store so your Dad can buy it at each visit?
I also cannot stand salty foods. I love salads and anything fresh tasting.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,056,547 times
It has literally been years since I ate McDonald's-type fast food.
To me, fast food is a cheap convenience that does not always pay for itself.
The quality just isn't there.

When my kids were little, they would get MickeyD's after a soccer game.
I tried to not make fast food a forbidden fruit, yet I wanted to avoid constantly eating it.

As my kids grew up, they continued to eat it, especially in high school, but in time their palates became more sophisticated, and then after one of them read Fast Food Nation, he will still eat mass-produced meals, but never anything from a burger place.
They both understand fresh ingredients and unprocessed foods.

I am not saying this to smugly pat myself on the back. I understand how a person can be tired at the end of a workday, and not want to cook.
I love going out for sushi or something like that.
I even love the occasional hamburger--but not from a fastfood place.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,088,901 times
I think the 'quality' of fast food is terrible. McDonald's is just not the same like when I was a kid. Once or twice a year (seriously) we have Wendy's, which I prefer.

IF we have fast food, it's pizza and that is a few times a month. Otherwise I cook. It's fortunate in some ways my husband and son are vegetarians. We only go to restaurants or diners where we can all get something to eat, so that means pizza or pasta or 'breakfast.'

I understand how the OP can go to get fast food when she's busy and tired and really it's not fair to slam her.

I think I heard somewhere that there are families who eat at McDonald's at least once a DAY!!

We need to learn how to cook more on weekends and heat up food or make our own meals.

The OP would be better off, perhaps, in going to the supermarket and picking up some already made chicken or deli food and adding some fresh salad (again bagged and ready) and maybe some frozen veggies.

I have a very picky kid so I know sometimes when you are 'exhausted' you just do whatever to feed your children.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,552,856 times
Default Rarely

Rarely do we eat fast foods. Prepareing dinner at night I make an extra serving so hubby can take it to work for lunch.

I don't even like fixing frozen pre-packaged foods.

#1 it's healthier and
#2 the $$ we have saved over the years is sizable.

We recently went to NC for our grandchild's birth and our schedule was so hectic we found it easier just to stop by a FF place to eat. We both got sick because we just weren't use to it.

Buy a crock-pot and have it cooking while you're working. I did that when the kids were still at home and I use it still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink