Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The less fast food you eat, the less you'll want it.
It's the same for the MORE of it you eat, the more you crave. Watch that movie Supersize Me.
The guy would be finished with a burger and fries and an hour later WANT MORE!
They must put something in those foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
It has literally been years since I ate McDonald's-type fast food.
To me, fast food is a cheap convenience that does not always pay for itself.
The quality just isn't there.

When my kids were little, they would get MickeyD's after a soccer game.
I tried to not make fast food a forbidden fruit, yet I wanted to avoid constantly eating it.

As my kids grew up, they continued to eat it, especially in high school, but in time their palates became more sophisticated, and then after one of them read Fast Food Nation, he will still eat mass-produced meals, but never anything from a burger place.
They both understand fresh ingredients and unprocessed foods.

I am not saying this to smugly pat myself on the back. I understand how a person can be tired at the end of a workday, and not want to cook.
I love going out for sushi or something like that.
I even love the occasional hamburger--but not from a fastfood place.
There was an article in the L.A. Times recently about how kids are going green. Now they are the ones to pressure their parents into buying a Prius, recycling, and buying healthy foods. A lot of young kids are rebelling by becoming vegetarians!!!

Greenie

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
We get pizza as our "fast food" or go out to a real restaurant. The last time I ate at McDonalds, I was sick for 2 days. Actually my husband and I were driving a long distance last week and the only quick thing we saw was KFC. Neither of us could actually finish the meal after 1 bite.

I could definitely live without fast food. There are a lot of other "fast" options you can whip up at home.

When I was a kid, we would go to McDonalds as a treat! Maybe 1x a month. Twice a week is bad, salad or not. It's all processed crapola there!
I remember when I was a kid, my cousin and I would walk to McDonalds and buy a burger, milkshake, and fries for less than $1. It was a real treat!!!

Greenie

Old 10-09-2007, 12:20 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Going one month without fast food would be easy for me since I usually go way longer than that. I eat fast food maybe once every few months or so, if that. It is usually when traveling and there is no other option.

Fast food messes with my digestive system. I am not a health food nut but I don't keep anything in the house that is hydrogenated or has any chemical preservatives, nor do I eat processed foods. Both my husband and I always get stomach aches after we eat a fast food burger and fries. The 2-3 times a year I do eat it, it is usually at Wendy's.

Read Fast Food Nation. That will cure you of filling yourself and your family with fast food garbage on a weekly basis.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
It's the same for the MORE of it you eat, the more you crave. Watch that movie Supersize Me.
The guy would be finished with a burger and fries and an hour later WANT MORE!
They must put something in those foods.

That's true too. They're either putting something in it or not putting something in it that you need. In any case, yuk.

There was an article in the L.A. Times recently about how kids are going green. Now they are the ones to pressure their parents into buying a Prius, recycling, and buying healthy foods. A lot of young kids are rebelling by becoming vegetarians!!!

Yes! Our dd came home last spring and said she didn't want to eat meat anymore because she didn't think it was right to kill animals for food. Now we're all vegetarians at home although dh and I sometimes order meat when we're at a restaurant.

Read Fast Food Nation. That will cure you of filling yourself and your family with fast food garbage on a weekly basis.

Another good book is The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. It's a very interesting look at food production in the U.S. and also about our relationship to the food we eat.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:21 PM

211 posts, read 985,405 times
I havent eating fast food in like 9 years and Id probably vomit all over the place if I ate that crap

Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Fast food does not have to be bad food anymore than a SUV has to be a gas guzzler.
Fatty foods are pretty bad for you and it doesn't matter if it's from a fast food joint or a fine restaurant. Many fast food places are trying real hard to give folks what they want and the trend seems to be toward healthier foods. El Pollo Loco has pretty healthy grub for a fast food place, I just wish they had one here in western Montana.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
I don't know about you guys but I couldn't. I went to Mexico to visit my Grandma and I lost weight. Now that I have come back and have been here for about 3 months, my weight is now back to normal

Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,816 times
Friday nights has been pizza night in my house for 20+ years, that's as fast as our food gets. I may go to the drive-up window and get a few burgers from the dollar menu for my Bichons though as a special treat. Maybe once a year I will get it for the family. We eat it then we are cured of the craving for another year. It's nasty. And wrecks havoc with our digestive tract.
As busy as you are, couldn't you find healthier choices?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 PM

94 posts, read 349,577 times
We don't eat fast food in our family. At least not the major chains or the drive thru type. We have plenty of little ma and pop restaurants that we frequent that are actually cheaper then McDonalds. My kids refuse to eat at any of the big ones. If we are on the road they rather stop at a market and buy a sandwich at the deli or a salad. Another good idea for busy parents is one of the cooking places where you go and prepare a months worth of dinners and then freze them when you get home. Dream Dinners is located throughout the US. I think the nation could do well w/o all the fast food joints!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink