Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,528,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
A delicious, delicious sea roach.

Then again? I also love LOTS of foods originally conceived by or served to slaves down South, so it's sort of appropriate...
The difference is, some of that stuff (chitlins, collard greens) seems to still hang around for nostalgic and/or cultural value more than for its culinary value like lobster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,441,750 times
Perhaps it's nostalgia for some. I eat it because it's delicious. Well, not chitlins.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,920,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What's really funny about lobster is that it was once considered worthless crap food -- the Chitlins of New England if you will. One New England colony (can't remember which one -- Massachusetts probably) even passed a law forbidding people from serving slaves and indentured servants lobster 7 days a week; they had to give 'em something else to eat at least 1 day a week. Now we pay $20+ to eat 1/3rd of a sea roach.

(Psst. I get all I want for FREE!)
It used to be that the very poor folks on the coast of Maine would survive hard times by eating lobsters gleaned from the shore and fried crab apples taken from backyard trees. However, they would take great care to hide the lobster shells so that nobody else would know how poor they were.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:58 AM

68,404 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Ahhhh, Clam Broth House....shells on the floor......fresh steamers and juice.....cold, cold beer......no women on the bar side....hey let's take the PATH over to the city and go to Umbertos for some clams.....sounds good to me...... I'm in heaven......O.K. time to wake up.

Actually, now that my nostalgia's all cranked up I think it's gonna be the PATH to some pirogis on the lower East side washed down later by a few a McSorley's, a liitle thin-crust wood/coal fired oven NY pizza would make a good dessert

Old 10-04-2007, 11:19 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,669,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Actually, now that my nostalgia's all cranked up I think it's gonna be the PATH to some pirogis on the lower East side washed down later by a few a McSorley's, a liitle thin-crust wood/coal fired oven NY pizza would make a good dessert

Will you be heading over to Johns Pizzeria on Bleecker Street?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 AM

68,404 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Quote:
Will you be heading over to Johns Pizzeria on Bleecker Street?
If you say that's the place to go I'll give it a whirl

I can actually get a decent thin-crust fix here in Jersey but a year or so ago it seems the ladies from the Ukrainian church on E 7th had a little food concession going just down the street from McSorley's, hope with the fall season they'll be back making comfort food, a hot bowl of borscht on a cool fall day is one of life's simple pleasures

Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,800,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I'm from Boston. I'm not sure what you're serving here, but it's not a pizza.
Quote:
It looks like a Sicilian Ricotta Cheesecake with sauce on it. That can't be pizza!
THANK you!!!
Under the sauce!!!!!!!!!!?????????
That's RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chicago blows in every way - THAT'S why they call it the windy city!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,528,892 times
Let's see: we layer our pizza in a different order; therefore the whole city blows. Real sharp critical reasoning skills there...

Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,441,750 times
Seems like sound criticism to me, Drover. But what do I know? I live in a city where some prefer to prepare their pizza differently.

I mean retardedly. It DOES show signs of certain developmental delays... Then again, I'm no doctor.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,492,436 times
I can't help but laugh that people are almost resorting to violence over whose town has better pizza. I lived in New Jersey for a while, I thought the pizza was excellent. I was in Chicago last year, and I went to Giordano's. I went to another place but I can't remember the name of it. I thought Chicago pizza was very good, but I'm sorry guys New York/New Jersey has it beat hands down. At least that's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink