Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 17,251 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may have an excellent opportunity to buy a condo in Kings Point (the gated community that's part of Sun City Center).

We understand that some of the more southerly areas of Florida are experiencing real problems with real estate values falling.

Can anyone tell me what's been happening in "senior areas" like the Kings Point area of Sun City Center.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 01:40 PM

52 posts, read 302,226 times
My dear, any one that I know with 2 dollars in their pocket is capable of buying a condo in Kings point! So i dont'know what you are worried aboud!
Just come on down, and enjoy the retiremant capital of the world!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:38 PM

Cool Buying/selling in Florida - part two

My concern isn't buying, it's when we want to sell. If the market is truly depressed and we can't sell it, that would be disappointing.

Our reason for buying the unit is that my mother, has advanced alzheimers, and lives (in a secure facility) in Sun City Center. We need to come down there twice a year and stay for six weeks at a time. This unit may be available to us at a very low (much lower than market) price.

I'm just concerned about the sellers' (not the buyers') market. I am wondering if the same depression that's hitting south Florida is being reflected in "senior market" in areas like Kings Point? (It's my feeling that they are different markets completely, but I could be wrong.)

I just don't want to buy, if we may find ourselves in that position, when we wish to liquidate.

Sharon

Old 08-06-2006, 04:49 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,889 times
It will eventually turn around. It may take a while, but the real estate market always turns around. Why not just do it while you can get in at a great price? You can always rent it out.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:59 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,752 times
Prices are slightly depressed across the board (including the senior housing). Since your intension is to 'use' the condo while visiting and not 'flipping' you should be fine.... specially since you are getting it at a great price. If you were intension was to just buy (at lower price) and turn it around to sell to make a quick buck I would have adviced to you stay away.

I would say go for it and don't worry too much about the current market price. Once hurricane season is over, we should see an uptick.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:09 PM

6 posts, read 29,962 times
Two points...

1) It sounds as though the asking price already reflects any downturn in the market... so you are buying low.

2) If you plan to hold the unit for a minimum of a couple of years... you should not only be ok... but might pocket a few bucks in the process.

Good on you for being such a devoted daughter. Its says all one needs to know about your heart.

Prayers to you and your mom.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:49 PM

810 posts, read 3,305,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcimers
My concern isn't buying, it's when we want to sell. If the market is truly depressed and we can't sell it, that would be disappointing.

Our reason for buying the unit is that my mother, has advanced alzheimers, and lives (in a secure facility) in Sun City Center. We need to come down there twice a year and stay for six weeks at a time. This unit may be available to us at a very low (much lower than market) price.

I'm just concerned about the sellers' (not the buyers') market. I am wondering if the same depression that's hitting south Florida is being reflected in "senior market" in areas like Kings Point? (It's my feeling that they are different markets completely, but I could be wrong.)

I just don't want to buy, if we may find ourselves in that position, when we wish to liquidate.

Sharon
Why not bring mom back to Michigan?

We moved my great aunt with an advanced alzeimer's close to us and she died with family at her side.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
I totally agree with what one of the previous posters said. You sound like a loving and devoted daughter and it's too bad the world isn't full of people like you. Your Mother is very lucky to have you in her life. Good luck to all of you.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:14 AM

The question was asked why I don't bring my mother back to Michigan?... Good question.

Several reasons:

(1) My mother's husband is still living. At 97, he's also suffering from dimensia.
My mother at 84 is actually in worse mental condition than he is. They live in the same facility (different floors) but when I'm there, I take her to visit him.

(2) She is firm that she doesn't want to return to Michigan, and I've been advised that uprooting her might cause her to deteriorate.

(3) An additional concern is that the cost for comparable care in Michigan is $1,000 more per month.

At some point, I may consider it, but now it's definitely NOT recommended.

Sharon

Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 PM

165 posts, read 652,943 times
Exclamation buying temporarily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcimers

Sharon
Your mother is lucky. You should probably decide things by looking at the big picture. How long do you think you will need to keep that condo? There are plenty of expenses to buying and selling without worrying about losing money on the sale. There are no hard and fast answers, but if you could keep it for at least a few years you might consider buying. Maybe friends can pay you to stay there for a vacation. On the other hand, if the situation is too chaotic and a time frame may be short, then you would probably lose money and/or have headaches selling if you do it. If you think it may not be long, I would look into reasonable renting options without getting involved with Florida real estate if you really do not want it for yourself. However if the place is really cheap, what the heck. Even if it turns out that you keep it a short time, you will probably break even or better at the sale. There are no hard and fast guarantees, and only you can decide if the risk is worth it. Lots of luck.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida