Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Not only do we have poisonous snakes but we also have poisonous spiders. My friend almost lost an arm to a brown recluse. Never stick your hand in a dark area without first looking and making sure its spider-free.
I've never seen a poisonous snake in Suth Florida (except in the old Serpentarium) but I've seen a lot in Central Florida.
Brown Recluse are rare in Florida, they are typically more of a midwestern spider. You sure it wasn't a black widow?

What most people think are brown recluses in the South are actually just harmless southern house spiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Wife's sister lost a portion of her leg to a brown recluse in central FL. She took it to the doc.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Brown Recluse are rare in Florida, they are typically more of a midwestern spider. You sure it wasn't a black widow?

What most people think are brown recluses in the South are actually just harmless southern house spiders.
I personally know 3 people that have been bit by brown recluse spiders. One was barefoot going to pick up her newspaper. One got bit when he put his foot in his shoe that he left on the porch so he wouldn't ruin the carpet and one was bit on her hand when she was taking things out of a box in her garage. They are here. 2 of them were in the hospital for over a week and looked dire for them for a while.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Hmm, maybe they're coming out of peoples bags and furniture when they move down here?

Here's a map of their native range, the red area is the common brown recluse.
http://department.monm.edu/biology/r...olorloxmap.gif

Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Hmm, maybe they're coming out of peoples bags and furniture when they move down here?

I think they probably need to update that map to include more of Florida in it. We have them down at Homestead (South of Miami). At the airport they get in the wheel coverings of the planes. I was taking the wheel covering of the left wheel off to put air in the tire after not flying for a month and I saw a nest of spiders. The mechanic there identified them as brown recluses. He said that a lot of the planes have them in the wheel coverings because it is dark and dry there. Who knows, maybe the hitchhiked on a plane from their native area and now they've spread. That would explain why they are more common at the airport.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:

My aunt was bitten in her sleep by one of those damn things. It left her with a necrotic wound that never really heals. Very nasty.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:

I think their range actually extends farther east into the Panhandle. I personally saw one - not a house spider, the real thing - in atownhouse on the east side of Tallahassee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida