Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:13 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
Sorry to resurrect an older post, but these photos were fascinating. Hills in Florida? Wow! Are there any other areas in Florida that are hilly besides Clermont??
There are some really beautiful LARGE hills starting in San Antonio/St. Leo 30 miles north of Tampa. Dade City has beautiful rolling land with some really gorgeous high hills, higher than those in Clermont. It looks more like the Carolinas than Florida around there. Lived there for 10 years, and never got tired of the breathtaking scenery. Also good hills in Brooksville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
If you last visit was many years ago when the hills were covered with orange trees, sorry to say they are mostly all gone. Freeze killed a lot of them. We went up 27 a few weeks ago and much is in houses now. It used be the one of the best drives in Florida..
Larry - Hobe Sound, FL
thank you for that memory, Larry. It was beautiful riding through there and the trees marched across the hills in perfect rows. Then we were going to Gainsville the next year after the freeze and it was terrible. I cried. And, then they were gone.It has become nothing but miles of cookie cutter houses. yes, I do long for those bygone sights.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
I'm too disappointed that the "hills" in Clermont are now covered in little cookie cutter homes.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:50 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm too disappointed that the "hills" in Clermont are now covered in little cookie cutter homes.
Yes, but there are still a lot of untouched areas (for now). I just drove over there this morning for errands and enjoyed some great views from near the Citrus Tower. You can see a huge lake in one direction and as far as the horizon in the other. I saw dark storms coming in. Then closer to my home, I could see Lake Apopka looming huge over the landscape.

I have to say I absolutely love it here and am so glad we moved back to FL. We found the perfect house tucked away from Clermont, yet only 15 minutes from the movie theater, Michael's store, Olive Garden, etc. It's the best of both worlds in my little town.

Anyone who is in the area should also take a drive down the Green Mountain scenic byway and then up toward Buckhill Rd in North Clermont area. We looked at a home up there that had an incredible view from the front yard. Nothing but trees and a ridge. I stood there listening to the birds chirp and watching the people on road bicycles cruising by. It was so peaceful, but someone else bought that one right before we saw it.

I have to go back over that way tomorrow AM and will take my camera along and post some pics here later. Even though the area has changed so much in recent years, it still has a lot to offer. You can even see the downtown Orlando skyline from over by the SuperTarget.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Moved from Fl,

That would be great if you did that. Our home down there is in The Plantation, and I know there are some impressive photo shots between us and Clermont. We;ll be back down there for a few weeks in November...can't wait!

Frank

Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,583 times
Isn't Sugarloaf Mtn. in Clermont one of the highest elevations in the state?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Perhaps one of them, but the highest is Britton Hill at 345 ft.

Frank

Old 08-10-2010, 08:39 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
The highest point in peninsular Florida is Iron Mountain in Lake Wales, where Bok Tower is. I belive Sugarloaf Mountain is next. Britton Hill is technically the highest in Florida but it is way over in the Panhandle.

Dade City has some good size hills around 225 - 275 feet I believe. May sound small to some, but in a flat state like Florida, they literally seem like mountains!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,824 times
While not near Clermont, there are some nice "vistas" down near Frostproof.

This picture was shot on the Scenic Highway just north of town.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The highest point in peninsular Florida is Iron Mountain in Lake Wales, where Bok Tower is. I belive Sugarloaf Mountain is next. Britton Hill is technically the highest in Florida but it is way over in the Panhandle.

Dade City has some good size hills around 225 - 275 feet I believe. May sound small to some, but in a flat state like Florida, they literally seem like mountains!
I think Sugarloaf is the tallest point in peninsular florida.

here is one of my favorite pictures of that area in Clermont..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida