Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:31 AM

31 posts, read 138,948 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions, pros, cons, etc? I'm looking to purchase a decent/reliable generator - without spending more than $600 or so. I have looked at the Coleman Powermate 1,850 W Portable Recreational Generator and also a Honda...mainly looking to run a few items on it within a 2300 sq ft house, if needed. New to Florida, so still learning this whole hurricane readiness stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:45 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegonda View Post
Any suggestions, pros, cons, etc? I'm looking to purchase a decent/reliable generator - without spending more than $600 or so. I have looked at the Coleman Powermate 1,850 W Portable Recreational Generator and also a Honda...mainly looking to run a few items on it within a 2300 sq ft house, if needed. New to Florida, so still learning this whole hurricane readiness stuff!
There are different schools of thought on this. Some want to have something that will power their whole house so they have no interruption's in the life. Some just want to be sure they have something if they need it to keep the fridg running a few lights and a TV to keep in touch. I am in the second camp for several reasons. One is half the people I know who have generators have them sitting around and when the time comes to use it, it won't even work.

I know, I was helping friends try to get their generators working after Wilma. The larger generators also are big and hard to handle and not much use other then should the electric go out which never happens ever under normal circumstances. The small light duty ones though are easy to transport bring on camping trips, move to different parts of the property or in an outage if you have power it can be easily be taken over to say your moms house if they are out of power.

The probability of you ever really needing it is pretty slim anyway but it is nice know you will have some power if you do need it. Bottom line, the light duty generators are just far more practical and you will get your moneys worth out of it even if there never are any storms in your area. Most of the big generators people buy will never even be started the whole time they own it. It is nice security knowing you have one but don't go over board. Thats my opinion.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:46 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Yeah, if you had any designs on running your A/C it's gonna cost you quite a bit more....

Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Yeah, if you had any designs on running your A/C it's gonna cost you quite a bit more....
Your main concern is losing hundreds of dollars worth of food or even worse someone getting sick eating spoiled food. You can live a few days without air or if you have a small window unit they only draw around 600 watts.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:38 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,075,064 times
I agree with everyone. Get something around 2000 watts.
I didn't even go with the big name brands ones because of very limited time it would be used. Cost $300 for 2200 watts.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,938,396 times
I have 5500 watt 8500 surge purchased just before 2005 hurricane.I treated gas and run once a month.I run pump,some flourescent lites,refrig,freezer,microwave,computer,small ac and dishnetwork.We were without power for 5 days and since sporadic outages,I have emergency outlets thru out house.Better than anything I can think of.If electric is dependable small one o'k.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:55 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Your main concern is losing hundreds of dollars worth of food or even worse someone getting sick eating spoiled food. You can live a few days without air or if you have a small window unit they only draw around 600 watts.
I understand that. However, many times a person who's buying a generator for the first time is not aware of what it will and won't do, so I was trying to make the OP understand that it isn't going to power much in your house for that price and won't do A/C...

Old 05-11-2007, 05:06 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times
It is also recommend that you run your generator for an hour or so at least once a month and not just let it sit until you need it.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:19 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegonda View Post
for a small generator, honda is the best of the lot, for a whole house generator kohler is the best, stay away from the crap home depot sells.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,003 times
The best thing is not to have a gas generator, You will have to run it and change the fuel each year. You can get an L/P generator that is small and won't have all to store gas that will go bad if not used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida