Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,405 times

Advertisements

Wow I was born, raised, and currently still live in NYC. After reading through this I cant believe how some people can say the property and rent down in key west is so expensive. My parents have a 2 bedroom apartment here in Queens, not Manhattan, that they currently pay 1400 a month. It's the same apartment they've been leasing for nearly 30 years, so the actually going price for the apartment is something over 2000 a month. I'm paying close 1300 for a studio that is built like a cheaply fabricated walk in closet. I would love to come down and live in the Keys, I'm sick of NYC and the keys sound like a dream compared to here. I'm currently and Auditor for a Big 4 accounting firm. My income is just about 60k a year, when I get my CPA license I should easily be over 80K. What is the job market really like over there? Are there many younger people around? I'm 27 and single but would like to meet someone, so I don't want end up live in an area that is basically a tourist destination and retirement community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez1118 View Post
Wow I was born, raised, and currently still live in NYC. After reading through this I cant believe how some people can say the property and rent down in key west is so expensive. My parents have a 2 bedroom apartment here in Queens, not Manhattan, that they currently pay 1400 a month. It's the same apartment they've been leasing for nearly 30 years, so the actually going price for the apartment is something over 2000 a month. I'm paying close 1300 for a studio that is built like a cheaply fabricated walk in closet. I would love to come down and live in the Keys, I'm sick of NYC and the keys sound like a dream compared to here. I'm currently and Auditor for a Big 4 accounting firm. My income is just about 60k a year, when I get my CPA license I should easily be over 80K. What is the job market really like over there? Are there many younger people around? I'm 27 and single but would like to meet someone, so I don't want end up live in an area that is basically a tourist destination and retirement community.
I grew up down there and now live in NYC. There are few job opportunities for young professionals in the Keys. Very, very few. Unless you're a teacher or government worker, it is very difficult to earn a middle class salary unless you are an entrepreneur. The financial industry is rather strong in Miami, and plenty of jobs are in your field in Brickell and Downtown. You can get a "tropical/island"-feeling neighborhood by living on the island of Miami Beach, Coconut Grove, North Bay Village, Bay Harbor Islands, etc. and still be just a short drive from work. Besides, you can always take day trips down to the Keys, as it takes only about an hour (without traffic) to get from Miami to where the Keys begin.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,324 times
TS seems every hurricane over the Caribbean from [url=http://www.cheapchbagsforsale.com/]Buy Chanel Bags[/url] Key West to the right, but surprisingly, they have not been yet completely destroyed. There is no way in hell I will never buy a place in the fall occurred...

Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
My family were going to relocate to keywest back in September when my daughter had a unfortunate accident which needed surgery and my health insurance which I had from my employer so we had to stay in Michigan. I had a realator which I was working with that was very helpful. She gave me all of the insurance information and quotes. We were looking at a house in old town that needed some work but would have made a beautiful home for $280,000 and our insurance would have been $213 a month. It sounds pricey but to walk out of your house everyday to a paradise is worth it. Good luck on making your decision.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,725 times
I moved 2 Bay Harbor right after Andrew & have never been happier. Real friends, inexpensive-except 4 a/c- & even cheaper rent. My gym was a cross over Kane, my bank, deli, grocery store etc. were within an extremely short walk. So safe! I came back 2 New Orleans 2wks. b4 Katrina 2 see my mum & have her stay w/me in BHI, Miami, but Katrina changed it all. People in Miami, 4 the most part, helped people after Andrew by not raising prices 2 the point of $1500.00 a month in a sketchy, at best, area that also was section 8 housing! N.O. did this & worse. I miss Bay Harbor so much so that i'm planning 2 go back.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohiba21 View Post
I have lived here in Key West nearly 7 years, I don't make over 60,000 a year after taxes ever!!!!. I live in a 2 bed 2-1/2 bath home with a pool and yard in Old Town on freaking Duval St. alone. I am able to pay 2500-2600 a month every month no problem, and eat, drink, vacation, and only have one job, ect... I spend a 100 bucks a week on food if that, and about 800 - 1000 a month partying, and I drive a scooter or bike my car is payed off and I move it maybe once a month if that, so little gas. and still save money, when I calculate my income after taxes I come out at 60k to 61k thats 5000 a month. I could save a lot more if I stopped partying, smoking, and lived in the type of space I really need. But..... my point is I have had no problem finding the quality of life I wanted here all you have to do is set a budget and stick with it no matter what and I mean you have to be a budget nazi to do the things I do. So for any retard who can't live off a 100K a year anywhere this damn fool, does it here 40k under a 100k. Learn what your worth and exploit it for what it is; not what you wish it was. I'll be taking a huge salary jump next year; but I don't pretend I have it now. I'm 26 years old though maybe my perceptions are off. I have somehow put away a little over 50k in the bank somehow though in the past years.... think about it a while.
A couple of things, the OP is married with a family, you're single.

So you can't compare cost of living when it is one person vs. five people.

Your use of the word "retard" is offensive, and anyone who wastes $800 to $1,000 a month shouldn't be throwing that word around or calling names.

You're p**ing away money that should be saved/ invested. Nothing wrong with having fun, but your monthly party budget would be ridiculous in NYC or LA.

According to you, you make around 60K a year but spend 12K a year partying?

Not too bright.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
A couple of things, the OP is married with a family, you're single.

So you can't compare cost of living when it is one person vs. five people.

Your use of the word "retard" is offensive, and anyone who wastes $800 to $1,000 a month shouldn't be throwing that word around or calling names.

You're p**ing away money that should be saved/ invested. Nothing wrong with having fun, but your monthly party budget would be ridiculous in NYC or LA.

According to you, you make around 60K a year but spend 12K a year partying?

Not too bright.
The dude made 1 post on CD...5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida