Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 AM

38 posts, read 148,967 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I've lived here for 14 years now. I don't think anyone else who gave you negative impressions even live here. There is a reason it's expensive to live here. Because it's by far the best place to live in all of Florida.
We never lock our doors, because on Sugarloaf where I live, there is virtually no crime. Virtually no traffic. Quick boat rides to the only coral reef in North America. Good theater, beautiful sunsets and nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 11:05 PM

326 posts, read 470,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphindude View Post
Oh, and I've lived here for 14 years now. I don't think anyone else who gave you negative impressions even live here. There is a reason it's expensive to live here. Because it's by far the best place to live in all of Florida.
We never lock our doors, because on Sugarloaf where I live, there is virtually no crime. Virtually no traffic. Quick boat rides to the only coral reef in North America. Good theater, beautiful sunsets and nice people.
I thought it was expensive simply because it is merely a chain of small islands with only one rather narrow road connecting them to the mainland.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:40 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Don't move to Key West. I live in Key Largo, it was very cheap here until the late 90's. When the idiots started driving up the prices all hell broke loose. Almost all my friends have left, and I may be next. In 1996 you could still buy a house in my area for under 100K. Now thanks to the jerks from the north and the south we're 500K and above. I am praying for a hurricane, it's something we desperately need.
i am praying for no hurricane so maybe my prayer will cancel yours out!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 AM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default I actually liked Key West

Quote:
Key West and the lower Keys are a great place to live. Anyone on these boards who say it's not are just jealous.
It will be difficult getting a decent house for $500,000.00. You might want to check out Big Pine first. It's about a 40 min. commute to the airport, but you get more for your money there, ( you'll probably find a small house on the water for 500,000.00).
Reminded me of a tropical Greenwich Village (grew up there). Although I am not a beach person, Key West's beaches are the most like the Caribbean. I would vote the Caribbean to have the best beaches in the world. I've been to a lot of them (ironic) from the Hamptons to Miami Beach to California to the Italian Riveria.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Don't move to Key West. I live in Key Largo, it was very cheap here until the late 90's. When the idiots started driving up the prices all hell broke loose. Almost all my friends have left, and I may be next. In 1996 you could still buy a house in my area for under 100K. Now thanks to the jerks from the north and the south we're 500K and above. I am praying for a hurricane, it's something we desperately need.
Key West and Key Largo are more than 2 hours apart and are like night and day.
And any one who prays for a hurricane is in my opinion lacking brains.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I thought it was expensive simply because it is merely a chain of small islands with only one rather narrow road connecting them to the mainland.
I haven't even been to mainland Fla in more than 3 years. Key West has a good airport and anywhere you want to go, you can go from here.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 PM

51 posts, read 287,859 times
Quote:
Key West and Key Largo are more than 2 hours apart and are like night and day.
And any one who prays for a hurricane is in my opinion lacking brains.
What is the difference between the areas? in terms of the vibe, or the prices, resources, jobs?

Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,184 times
My boyfriend and I love Key West. We are looking to buy a vacation property that we can visit every year and eventually have a place to retire to. I have seen alot of things listed in the Selona Village area and am planning on visiting some properties in the next tow weeks. Does any have any useful info. that may help me out with my search on what and where to buy?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I'm in central FL and i'm having trouble getting insurance for our home. Our insurance is not renewing us this year as of August. Allstate is dropping a lot of homeowners policies this year. Nobody want's to write new policies and i'm inland 30 miles from the coast. I can't imagine finding an insurance company to pick up a policy in the keys, let alone a mobile home.
Danielle, I DM'd you my agents info. She is still writing policies. I've had her for 19 years.

The only one in the Keys is Citizens, fyi.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
I used to live in Marathon (right before the 7 mile bridge, about 45 mins. north of Key West) and I hated it...at the time. I would love to go back home to the Keys though. I used to go to Key West on a daily (this was during my drinking days) and go down Duval to party. Key West is really not that bad. Yes, there are hurricanes and yes they do get damage from those hurricanes, but they do not happen all year 'round. Housing is very expensive and so is the insurance, but making $100,000 you will probably be able to make it. It depends on the price of the house-but living directly in Key West, the houses will be more expensive. You might want to try a home in Stock Island or something.

Remember, it is nice to live there, more laid back-not as nuts as most areas, but there is only one way in and one way out, so traffic gets backed up in the event of a hurricane. In the whole 2 yrs. I lived there though, there was only 1 hurricane and it was only a cat. 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida