Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,568 times

Advertisements

Thank you ! That what it is! Lakeland Village
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 15,990 times
Default Lakeland

I guess we are all in the same boat here. I actually went down to visit Lakeland several times since April. I thought it was just beautiful. The lakes, especially one that I believe is called Hollingsworth, are very nice. It seems a little disserted in some areas and there were a few areas that I immediatley realized were not the best, but overall I'm excited about my move this time next year. There is a shopping area that is along or around 98 (I have only visited 6-7 times for no longer than a week so I am not sure) that should keep you entertained. Also, the place turns into baseball world every spring training. Detroit Tigers and Tiger Town near by. When I go, I either land in Tampa or Orlando (prefer Tampa...Orlando traffic is a beast with toll roads.) This is a beautiful place!! It also seems to be pretty safe. The people for the most part seem pretty nice. Well that's my 50 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I myself asked questions about Lakeland a couple days ago and didn't get a single reply - I wonder why? Doesn't anyone here live in Lakeland who can offer advice?

We are considering a move there, I like the downtown area - seems nice and clean if a bit pricey. Please if anyone has any thoughts to offer please post - pro and con!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 AM

18 posts, read 103,395 times
Hi,
thanks to all of you for your answers to that post, it does help me too. I had been turned off for this town by some stats I found on the net, it's good to hear real people with another point of view.

Now, I'm balancing between Lakeland and Melbourne, on the Space Coast.
Your opinion is welcome.
Hyp!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,276 times
Default Research

I'm really surprised at some of the "research" I hear people have done. I was born in Lakeland, moved out three times and, for various reasons, had to move back. One person wrote that they could get a really large home on 3/4 of an acre for 175-200???!!! I can't imagine where that would be and I know I probably wouldn't want to live there. Just last March, we bought our third home in Lakeland. It's 2,200 sq. ft (good-sized admittedly) on .25 acre lot in a nice, older neighborhood. It had been empty for 2 years and needed a complete remodel. It was the cheapest house in the neighborhood for $255,000.00. Trust me, when I tell you you're not going to find anything in a decent neighborhood with any kind of yard for less than that. The new neighborhoods are mowed down orange groves with no trees or character. You might want to check out the home prices a little more closely. There are decent neighborhoods, but you pay a pretty penny (and good luck with the traffic!). Just my thoughts. Yes, downtown is pretty. But, the homeless situation has gotten a little dicey (especially in winter). Best of luck!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor4596 View Post
I'm really surprised at some of the "research" I hear people have done. I was born in Lakeland, moved out three times and, for various reasons, had to move back. One person wrote that they could get a really large home on 3/4 of an acre for 175-200???!!! I can't imagine where that would be and I know I probably wouldn't want to live there. Just last March, we bought our third home in Lakeland. It's 2,200 sq. ft (good-sized admittedly) on .25 acre lot in a nice, older neighborhood. It had been empty for 2 years and needed a complete remodel. It was the cheapest house in the neighborhood for $255,000.00. Trust me, when I tell you you're not going to find anything in a decent neighborhood with any kind of yard for less than that. The new neighborhoods are mowed down orange groves with no trees or character. You might want to check out the home prices a little more closely. There are decent neighborhoods, but you pay a pretty penny (and good luck with the traffic!). Just my thoughts. Yes, downtown is pretty. But, the homeless situation has gotten a little dicey (especially in winter). Best of luck!
Well, we just purchased a remodeled vintage Florida Bungalow near Lake Hollingsworth for well under $200,000. Less square footage than yours, but same size lot, best neighborhood in town, IMO. I looked at real estate for several months and found plenty of great deals for under $200,000, in nice neighborhoods. I know that since you say you were born there, you may view the town differently than others. As someone new to the area, and comparing it to Tampa where I was born, Lakeland has no traffic or crime, has great deals on real estate, and the town is beautiful with plenty of amenities on its own.

Your home sounds lovely, what part of town are you in? We are looking forward to our life in Lakeland.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 AM

32 posts, read 127,579 times
Default Lakeland USF

My daughter will be attending the USF Lakeland campus next fall. She'll be going into her junior year there. Can anyone suggest a nice safe apt/housing nearby?
Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:38 AM

32 posts, read 127,579 times
Question Apts near USF Lakeland campus?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar77 View Post
My daughter will be attending the USF Lakeland campus next fall. She'll be going into her junior year there. Can anyone suggest a nice safe apt/housing nearby?
Thanks!
I'm bringing this post backup again as I've seen no replies.
Any honest suggestions on apt housing would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,485 times
Default lakeland

I live in lakeland and it is definitely separated. I also happen to live on the south side of lakeland as well, and i dont have any problems with anyone. As far as the jack russells i have 1 and i let him run free at night but he comes back within thirty minutes or so. But lakeland is a nice place to live. Every city has its bad parts, just as lakeland you just need to search around. LOOK INTO WILMINGTON APARTMENTS FOR A REALLY GOOD PRICE AND NICE PLACE TO LIVE, GATED COMMUNITY.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 14,803 times
My husband and I moved to Lakeland, Fl so he could attend Florida Southern College as it was the only other college besides UM that offered the degree he wanted.

We have lived here about 3 years now, we don't exactly like it, or want to stay. Central lakeland, and North lakeland are not the kind of neighborhood you want to be in. very, very north (by I4) or South lakeland and behind downtown is good. I work in downtown, and there are so very many homeless people though. It's definately scary when it's 6pm and dark and you see someone sleeping under a tree by your car.

They did build a new shopping center/theater towards the south, there are nice shops there, and it's very nice to walk around. You adapt to whatever area you're in, and i think it is a good place to start in,you just have to be weary.

Definately check out the house and neighborhood BEFORE you buy/rent - check it out during the day, at night, and on the weekends. We lived in our apartment buildings for 2yrs in a 2/1 and when my husbands brother came to live with us, we upgraded to a 3bdrm - it feels like we moved into the ghetto (even though it's just a building over). It sounds strange, but i wish we checked out the apartment in the evening and on the weekends before signing our lease, instead of just during the day when everyone is gone.

Also lakeland is very "country"/"redneck" anyone who is "different" is singled out, and "punished" for it. My brother in law was attacked on his way home from school (5 minute walk) because he is gay, there were multiple attacks on other boys as well - no one was caught. we have had people shout "***" and other demeaning names to both my brother in law AND my husband! which is just crazy. I would only call lakeland "family friendly" if you fit into their kind of mold, if you look different or act as anything other than what everyone else is you will be hated on.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingpants View Post
My husband and I moved to Lakeland, Fl so he could attend Florida Southern College as it was the only other college besides UM that offered the degree he wanted.

We have lived here about 3 years now, we don't exactly like it, or want to stay. Central lakeland, and North lakeland are not the kind of neighborhood you want to be in. very, very north (by I4) or South lakeland and behind downtown is good. I work in downtown, and there are so very many homeless people though. It's definately scary when it's 6pm and dark and you see someone sleeping under a tree by your car.

They did build a new shopping center/theater towards the south, there are nice shops there, and it's very nice to walk around. You adapt to whatever area you're in, and i think it is a good place to start in,you just have to be weary.

Definately check out the house and neighborhood BEFORE you buy/rent - check it out during the day, at night, and on the weekends. We lived in our apartment buildings for 2yrs in a 2/1 and when my husbands brother came to live with us, we upgraded to a 3bdrm - it feels like we moved into the ghetto (even though it's just a building over). It sounds strange, but i wish we checked out the apartment in the evening and on the weekends before signing our lease, instead of just during the day when everyone is gone.

Also lakeland is very "country"/"redneck" anyone who is "different" is singled out, and "punished" for it. My brother in law was attacked on his way home from school (5 minute walk) because he is gay, there were multiple attacks on other boys as well - no one was caught. we have had people shout "***" and other demeaning names to both my brother in law AND my husband! which is just crazy. I would only call lakeland "family friendly" if you fit into their kind of mold, if you look different or act as anything other than what everyone else is you will be hated on.

Good luck.
Wow - We have lived in Lakeland for a year now, and I couldn't disagree with this post more - I don't know what area you live in, but it must be a very "marginal" neighborhood. I live in downtown southside, in a very diverse neighborhood - white, black, hispanic and even Asian - and there is NO racial tenion or anything else. Everyone gets along great. I love going into my little urban Publix across the street in the 1950's vintage Southgate Shopping Center and seeing the diverse mix of peoples, which includes all sorts of characters, races and professional people. Our neighborhood is quiet and safe, even though we live just off the "main drag" of Florida Ave.

Within the city core I find Lakeland to be sophisticated and civic-minded with a great love for arts and keeping this the "city beautiful." I agree that when you get to the outskirts, or the more rural areas it may become somewhat "redneck" but that can be said for many areas of Florida, not just here.

Overall, this is a fantastic place to live, but I am sorry for anyone who has not had the best experience here due to getting into a neighborhood with issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida