Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 12,427 times

Advertisements

Thanks for reading...My husband and I and our 2 kids are moving to Lakeland because of a new Job in Lakeland. Does anyone know anything about living in Auburndale? Does it offer anything for young kids, good preschools, classes, etc.? Most people seem to think all the action is in "lakeland" - does that mean living in Lakeland is the answer. We are looking for a house and are trying to decide on what area to live in. We've heard that SE Lakeland is one of the most desired places to be. We wouldn't mind the more "rural" feel, but want to be in a good community. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,396 times
i have never been to auberndale that i can recall. i do know that there is a famous basketball player raised there... so tell your kids that tracy mcgrady of the houston rockets is from auberndale.

on the other hand, i do know a little bit about lakeland. it is pretty there and the houses arent too expensive yet. i would do a google search and see what you think... i would guess if 10 ppl respond to your question, 7-8 would probably say lakeland... not to take anything away from the other city... i hav heard that auberndale is a sleepy town... maybe not a hwck of a lot to do there, but i'm not sure really.

sorry for the spelling error

bye

Last edited by Marka; 06-07-2006 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-18-2006, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 12,425 times
I live in Lakeland and most people here would suggest to you the George Jenkins school district which is in the s.e. corner of Lakeland. That is probably the best school district in the county. Auburndale is a nice little town but the schools do not sound very good. Go to polk-fl.net to check out Polk county school info. Homes in the area are expensive but not like coastal areas of FL. To get something nice you will have to spend at least 200K.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,422 times
Auburndale , is a nice smaller kind of town, there is some building going on there...Lenar homes has a new sub out there , and there is the Estates of Auburndale,
Lakeland, i really no nothing about , its a "bigger " town if you will but not as big as orlando or tampa, lakeland is on either side of the i4 which is good if you need to commute anywhere....
I have done some extensive reseach on Auburndale and Winter Haven,
I have heard the The Jenkins schools district in Lakeland is one of the best ..
it really just depends on what you want...
good luck

Old 08-28-2009, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,436 times
Auburndale has a nice park and many beautiful lakes. It has berkely elementary and berkley accelerated middle school, both have Kagan structures in their curriculum. bams has advanced math and begining spanish for 6th graders, algebra and spanish 1 and 2 and advanced reading for 7th graders, biology, algebra/geometry and spanish 1 and 2 for 8th graders. bams has been accredited by sacs(southern association of colleges and schools) so algebra, geometry, biology and spanish 1 and 2 count as high school credits. they also have a number of electives and after school activities. they also have an e-team. if you do decide to come here, its easier for kids to get into bams if they have already attended the elementary school; they are automatically enrolled. i find this school much better than george jenkins, since berkely teaches many advanced things most schools don't and a have a variety of classes.

Last edited by nanny_fan!!; 08-28-2009 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Left a word out :0

Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,319 times
They're both nice, quiet towns. I would pick Lakeland simply because there would be more to do there than in Auburndale.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,435 times
Hi...I've lived in Lakeland for one year now! My husband and I and our kids moved here for job as well. My advice would be that if the job is actually IN Lakeland, move to Lakeland. In my opinion, Auburndale does not offer anything that would make it worth the everyday communte to Lakeland. (But you would certainly pay a lot in toll fees on the Polk Parkway for that communte to Lakeland!) Yes, southeast Lklnd would be best. I have one still in school at George Jenkins. We really like Lakeland. We also considered other nearby communities such as Winter Haven, but Auburndale would've never been on our radar. Lakeland offers more.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,373 times
Lakeland versus Tampa? I have the chance to live in either while working in Plant City? Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM

729 posts, read 1,299,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmrk View Post
Lakeland versus Tampa? I have the chance to live in either while working in Plant City? Any suggestions?
Figure out what's most important to you. Your money will stretch more in Lakeland, however there's a wealth of activities to do in Tampa. I could see you driving to Tampa if you lived in Lakeland but I don't see you driving to Lakeland if you lived in Tampa. It really depends on the lifestyle or access to amenities you really want.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
I find the comments about Auburndale interesting. They now have the soccor complex out at Lake Myrtle that will host international soccor tournaments. They have a new, along with the old courts, tennis complex that is tournament grade. They have a skate boarding park downtown. They have a community square downtown that hosts many a childs picnic birthday party that has been there since the 1940's. They host many, many softball tournamnets annually. And, of course, the public beach and fishing pier. A very nice place. There are several events that take place each year in the park downtown as well as events in the downtown proper. the city library is very nice and active. There is a recreation center planned for the city area. They have a strong city government and are aggressive about annexing to increase their tax base.

All in all, not too bad. Oh yes, I forgot to mention the excellent Berkley School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida