Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:08 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,711,857 times

Advertisements

NY suburbs property taxes are 10- 40k. S Florda is now catching up.

Anyone moving? where to?

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 PM

93 posts, read 372,015 times
What an absolute crock of nonsense! My brother lives in Orange County NY about 50 miles NW of NYC. He has a standard bi-level house approx 1800 SF. The house just appraised, TODAYS VALUES, at 450K, he is paying $10,500 in prop taxes, 8.75% sales tax and 6% NYS Income tax. The same house in SW fl would cost about 250K with taxes of about 3500. How can you make such a statement??? I have a friend who lives in North Port Long Island, North Shore, about 50 miles East of NYC, the same house as my brothers except out there it will cost you 600K and the taxes will be over $14,000 plus the NYS Income tax. If you grew up in Fl then I can appreciate your sadness at the rising prop taxes and rising home prices. I agree with the taxes being way too high compared to the services recieved and believe that our local govt have been spending money like fools, that party should come to a screeching halt Immediately. HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>

I also understand that there is more than alot of negativity and venom on many of these threads. Especially toward those nasty investors etc etc and those greedy builders, mort companies and so forth. I can't help but sense that there is more than a little bit of envy at work here........why should they make big$$ and not me?? BECAUSE they took the risk and EARNED IT!

Truth in posting, I am an INVESTOR, not speculator and am also a RE appraiser who refuses to "hit the number" that has hurt my business but the regular people who hired me ( sellers/buyers) are EXTREMELY happy with the ACCURATE data I provided.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,512,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
What an absolute crock of nonsense! My brother lives in Orange County NY about 50 miles NW of NYC. He has a standard bi-level house approx 1800 SF. The house just appraised, TODAYS VALUES, at 450K, he is paying $10,500 in prop taxes, 8.75% sales tax and 6% NYS Income tax. The same house in SW fl would cost about 250K with taxes of about 3500. How can you make such a statement??? I have a friend who lives in North Port Long Island, North Shore, about 50 miles East of NYC, the same house as my brothers except out there it will cost you 600K and the taxes will be over $14,000 plus the NYS Income tax. If you grew up in Fl then I can appreciate your sadness at the rising prop taxes and rising home prices. I agree with the taxes being way too high compared to the services recieved and believe that our local govt have been spending money like fools, that party should cometo a screeching halt Immediately. HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>

I also understand that there is more than alot of negativity and venom on many of these threads. Especially toward those nasty investors etc etc and those greedy builders, mort companies and so forth. I can't help but sense that there is more than a little bit of envy at work here........why should they make big$$ and not me?? BECAUSE they took the risk and EARNED IT!

Truth in posting, I am an INVESTOR, not speculator and am also a RE appraiser who refuses to "hit the number" that has hurt my business but the regular people who hired me ( sellers/buyers) are EXTREMELY happy with the ACCURATE data I provided.
Well congrats on being so forthcoming and providing such accurate data.

When ever someone says "truth in posting" or "let me be honest with you" always makes me nervous.

But please, I hardly would say that the people that took a "risk" in real estate "earned it"

My husband and I over the last five years have worked very hard at our jobs. We made a lot of sacrifices along the way. My husband actually works two jobs CBP and part time as a Air Force reservist. Both jobs require protecting our country, he was even was deployed to Iraq for six months last year as a Security Policeman where he was was shot at on six occasions. To me that is a real risk when you are talking about someone's life.

We actually saved a lot of $$ during this time.

That to me is EARNING IT.

I have no envy towards others, none what so ever, as we are happy with the amount of money we have saved up for our home.

The people that took "the risk" in RE got a good return on their investment. They EARNED nothing as far as I am concerned.

Your ideas of earning are quite different than my ideas of earning are.

For us, I would take our way over your way any day. I can bet you that a lot of people that are underwater in their homes and crying foul now wish that they had not been so greedy and perhaps wished they would have done things a bit differently.

SKB

Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,595,139 times
SKB, I couldn't agree with you more. How dare anyone say that the money was "EARNED" when there are now people losing their homes and the entire market is a mess. Whatever happened to morals?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:05 PM
SKB

Morals went out the window with the bathwater and the baby.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,229,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
NY suburbs property taxes are 10- 40k. S Florda is now catching up.

Anyone moving? where to?

sunny
That doesn't make much sense. How has Florida caught up when a quick review of the states millage rates will show tax millage has gone down in Florida pretty much across the board. Taxes are lower now then they were a few years ago.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,684,052 times
I blame a ton of it on Mortgage Brokers !!!!!!!!!!!

They have been scamming people for years, putting people into homes they could not afford, putting people into loans they know will be defaulted on, finding appraisers to fraudulently "fix" the value of homes and the list goes on.

They make there killing on the deal and sleep well at night.

Many bankers who give home loans have someone to answer to if the loan goes bad, brokers do not.

Two brokers right here in my area should be in jail, they were caught red handed changing real estate values and pushing equity loans onto people when there was no equity to start with.

The majority of them are scum scammers who should be tossed out of business. The mortgage brokering business should be shut down totally.

People work hard every day and earn every penny they can to trust people like brokers ( who I can the new age credit card over laod scammers ) with there biggest purchase in their lives only to be taken.

Investors who made money in real estate deserve all the credit in the world for jumping onto something they knew was going to fly, but now they are losing money as the bubble burst they are the first ones to whine about housing.

Investments are risky, if you can take the risk and make allot of money doing it good for you, but as all of us invest for later and take risk, even those who risked money on RE earned every penny they made.

Any money you make on any investment is "earned". You earned that money already and just put it at risk.

Many of us did not get into the RE investments until very late, myself I bought rental homes, smaller homes and rehabbed them and made allot of good money at doing it. I "earned" every penney of it.

I laid the carpet, did the landscaping, painted walls etc and I earned what I made, but when I seen a bubble about to burst, I sold all those properties except my rental properties because I did not want to risk what I have already made.

If I would have done this 4 years ago instead of 2 years ago I would and could own my own little island somewhere as many investors in the Columbus, Ohio area I am in made thousands if not millions on RE investing and they earned every dime of it.

Money made on investments are earned and not a given.

Money made by scam brokers who many of them reinvested in what ? Yes, RE!!! is fraud and not earned, it is stolen money.

I earned my investment earnings as I used my earned money to purchase those properties.

Some people work and earn money with brains and some do it with labor, I happen to do both and know what it is like, I feel I earned my money on my RE investments as I risked my "earned" money and did the labor to make the money to sell those homes.

I was just lucky to see something coming and sold the homes other then the income producing rentals, if I didnt I would have probably lost my "earned" money.

Cannot tell the IRS it wasn't earned, they love taking their chunk! I am going to get killed on Captial Gains next year if I do not reinvest in something.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 PM

38 posts, read 139,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Well congrats on being so forthcoming and providing such accurate data.

When ever someone says "truth in posting" or "let me be honest with you" always makes me nervous.

But please, I hardly would say that the people that took a "risk" in real estate "earned it"

My husband and I over the last five years have worked very hard at our jobs. We made a lot of sacrifices along the way. My husband actually works two jobs CBP and part time as a Air Force reservist. Both jobs require protecting our country, he was even was deployed to Iraq for six months last year as a Security Policeman where he was was shot at on six occasions. To me that is a real risk when you are talking about someone's life.

We actually saved a lot of $$ during this time.

That to me is EARNING IT.

I have no envy towards others, none what so ever, as we are happy with the amount of money we have saved up for our home.

The people that took "the risk" in RE got a good return on their investment. They EARNED nothing as far as I am concerned.

Your ideas of earning are quite different than my ideas of earning are.

For us, I would take our way over your way any day. I can bet you that a lot of people that are underwater in their homes and crying foul now wish that they had not been so greedy and perhaps wished they would have done things a bit differently.

SKB
Your values and hard work are admirable. However, that doesn't mean that investors are thieves. Besides, the people ready to lose their homes are in that predicament because they too tried to make a quick buck and couldn't. If they had succeeded they would have been parading around letting everyone know they are a successful investor.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 AM
SKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by edotabin View Post
Your values and hard work are admirable. However, that doesn't mean that investors are thieves. Besides, the people ready to lose their homes are in that predicament because they too tried to make a quick buck and couldn't. If they had succeeded they would have been parading around letting everyone know they are a successful investor.
Yes, I agree with what you have said here. It was the attitude of the poster and his statement that many on this board are "negative" and "envious and "venomous" that put me off.
I never said investors were or tried to imply that they were thieves. I am saying that their "easy money" to me was not "EARNED ". To type it in big bold letters like that made me think the poster was trying to say they actually had to do something to have it, as in "to gain especially for the performance of service, labor, or work".
What his "EARNED" really means is "to yield as return or profit"

Doesn't matter this works better "easy come easy go" seems to ring true now for these people.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:44 AM

612 posts, read 2,790,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I blame a ton of it on Mortgage Brokers !!!!!!!!!!!

They have been scamming people for years, putting people into homes they could not afford, putting people into loans they know will be defaulted on, finding appraisers to fraudulently "fix" the value of homes and the list goes on.

They make there killing on the deal and sleep well at night.

Many bankers who give home loans have someone to answer to if the loan goes bad, brokers do not.

Two brokers right here in my area should be in jail, they were caught red handed changing real estate values and pushing equity loans onto people when there was no equity to start with.

The majority of them are scum scammers who should be tossed out of business. The mortgage brokering business should be shut down totally.

People work hard every day and earn every penny they can to trust people like brokers ( who I can the new age credit card over laod scammers ) with there biggest purchase in their lives only to be taken.

Investors who made money in real estate deserve all the credit in the world for jumping onto something they knew was going to fly, but now they are losing money as the bubble burst they are the first ones to whine about housing.

Investments are risky, if you can take the risk and make allot of money doing it good for you, but as all of us invest for later and take risk, even those who risked money on RE earned every penny they made.

Any money you make on any investment is "earned". You earned that money already and just put it at risk.

Many of us did not get into the RE investments until very late, myself I bought rental homes, smaller homes and rehabbed them and made allot of good money at doing it. I "earned" every penney of it.

I laid the carpet, did the landscaping, painted walls etc and I earned what I made, but when I seen a bubble about to burst, I sold all those properties except my rental properties because I did not want to risk what I have already made.

If I would have done this 4 years ago instead of 2 years ago I would and could own my own little island somewhere as many investors in the Columbus, Ohio area I am in made thousands if not millions on RE investing and they earned every dime of it.

Money made on investments are earned and not a given.

Money made by scam brokers who many of them reinvested in what ? Yes, RE!!! is fraud and not earned, it is stolen money.

I earned my investment earnings as I used my earned money to purchase those properties.

Some people work and earn money with brains and some do it with labor, I happen to do both and know what it is like, I feel I earned my money on my RE investments as I risked my "earned" money and did the labor to make the money to sell those homes.

I was just lucky to see something coming and sold the homes other then the income producing rentals, if I didnt I would have probably lost my "earned" money.

Cannot tell the IRS it wasn't earned, they love taking their chunk! I am going to get killed on Captial Gains next year if I do not reinvest in something.
I also 'earned' every bit of money I squeezed out of Florida. While my friends were out partying and vacationing and sleeping late the last few years, my husband and I worked full time jobs during the week and on the weekends fixed toilets, painted, landscaped, mowed lawns, etc etc and worked our tails off to provide nice homes that we always sold under value to people who wanted homes. We made a little money off each one and we still are friends with the people we sold to. Not one person has complained that we overpriced the homes we sold, in fact they could still sell them and make a profit even in today's market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: