Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

784 posts, read 1,984,107 times

Advertisements

I recently read that Florida would save 51 million dollars a year if it abolished the death penalty and went with life without parole. Do you think that will ever happen? Would you support or not support the idea?
As for me, I am a capital punishment supporter for the worst of the worst, and I have studied the issue as part of a criminal justice college program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,531,678 times
It's always cost a lot more but most people don't really do any research about the DP before forming their opinions. Statistically speaking there isn't anything that favors keeping it.

You basically need to be of the opinion that you want to kill someone because they killed someone else. Of course this theory would be a lot easier to make if so many sentenced to death row had not been eventually released.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Many of them are baby killers, I think they should be in the GP and what will be, will be.

I'm sick of people like Casey Anthony being protective custody.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,298,762 times
All in all, I'm pretty much against the death penalty. Aside from the fact that the state shouldn't be in the business of taking lives, what purpose does it honestly serve? It is no deterrent at all to the most heinous of murderers and in many ways, life (and I mean life) behind bars is far more of a punishment than executing someone who probably doesn't give a damn about whether they live or die anyway.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,202,114 times
Many in FL don't like the table and needle and want the electric chair back, I disagree.....build electric bleachers and fry the whole 400 of em at one time.

There is no reason that animals like Joseph Smith and John Couey should be breathing fresh air right now.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,779,740 times
The electric chair should be plugged back in. However, with the corrupt and incompetent court system we have cannot assure justice for any but the wealthy. If the system can be reformed and justice available to all, those guilty of violent capital crimes should be sentenced to death. A few amps of current is much cheaper than keeping a criminal alive for decades to corrupt others. Instead of the expensive drugs why not carbon monoxide as a method? The ultimate justice would be to have the criminal die the same way as the victim (s). I would especially enjoy seeing prosecutors who wrongfully sentence someone to death fry in the electric chair.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,041,179 times
I'm against the death penaltiy. Too many people on death row have been exonerated by DNA evidence.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
I'm for it in cases like John Couey where there's ZERO doubt that he did it.

What I've got a problem with is endless appeals for convicted criminals who either pled guilty (with no complaint of coercion) or were absolutely caught in the act, or were convicted on the basis of a multitude of things including witnesses and DNA evidence.

But again, if we'd stop housing these baby killers in segregated cells and toss them into the general population, human nature would end up saving the tax payers a hell of a lot of cash.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM

479 posts, read 1,457,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's always cost a lot more but most people don't really do any research about the DP before forming their opinions. Statistically speaking there isn't anything that favors keeping it.

You basically need to be of the opinion that you want to kill someone because they killed someone else. Of course this theory would be a lot easier to make if so many sentenced to death row had not been eventually released.
I agree there's little to favor keeping the death penalty. And in Florida the inmates are on death row for an average of 14 years before being put to death. It looks to me like that average may be increasing with all the stays that are given to do more DNA and such.

There are some of those on death row that get to us emotionally and we just want to see the same thing happen to them that they did to someone else. But for me, I'd just as soon see them in solitary confinement (ok, give 'em 1 hr. a day outside) for the rest of their natural life. It would save $$$ and all the notoriety that comes along with it which I'm sure some are seeking anyway.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,910,383 times
I agree completely that there is little argument in keeping the death penalty. People get their emotions involved but this is something to remain rational about.

There have been quite a few death row inmates who have been acutally innocent. It costs more for the death penalty that life in prison. There are many arguments against it. And what does it show society, kiling is wrong unless it is done by the government? That is a case of do what I say, not as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: