Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I recently read that Florida would save 51 million dollars a year if it abolished the death penalty and went with life without parole. Do you think that will ever happen? Would you support or not support the idea?
As for me, I am a capital punishment supporter for the worst of the worst, and I have studied the issue as part of a criminal justice college program.
How much would it cost to keep the same prisoners in prison for the rest of thier lives ? Last i heard, the average cost per year per prisoner is about $18,000 .

Im for Capital Punishment not for the worst of the worst...but for anyone who murders . So is God --- 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth'--- no more and no less. That settles it for me. This business of only doing 20 years for a murder , is a complete travesty of justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I don't agree at all. The death penalty is not a deterrent. Do you think criminals go around thinking about how far they can take a crime without becoming eligible for the death penalty? No, they're just on a rampage without any care in the world.

One thing is for sure: our prison system is way too expensive and we have way too many people locked up. The billions of dollars spent each year by states could be better spent in other areas. Plus, there is no real "corrections" in the "corrections system". Many inmates have very low IQ, are learning disabled, drug addicted, or whatever. Putting them in the pressure cooker environment surrounded by others with the same issues doesn't help. Then again, if we spend money to try to educate them, that doesn't fly well with those of us who are struggling to pay for our own educations and are law abiding. Plus, there is big money in the corrections system for the selected providers and contractors.

The death penalty is just for show. We push for it in only the worst and most public cases (like Casey Anthony) while others commit the same crimes and it never even comes up.
I'm going to give you a rep point for this post, well said!

The death penalty isn't a deterrent at all and in fact, I consider it an easier way out than life in jail for the most heinous of criminals. Let me put it this way, I would rather be executed than face the rest of my life behind bars, where I'd actually have to LIVE with the consequences of my actions. I'm pretty sure that not one mass murderer, rapist or other scumbag gives a damn about whether they live or die, at the end of the day.

The death penalty itself is archaic and most importantly, it sends out the wrong message, i.e. that the state can end the life of a human being. I'm all for punishment to fit the crime, but the death penalty is just wrong on so many levels, in my opinion. Besides, it just goes to show that it's not even the "cheap" option, when it comes to punishing th scumbags out there. Add to that, just one mistake and one miscarriage of justice is one too many, IMO.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
So is God --- 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth'--- no more and no less. That settles it for me. This business of only doing 20 years for a murder , is a complete travesty of justice.
Hey Brother, that's old testament, You need to turn the other cheek...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I would rather be executed than face the rest of my life behind bars, where I'd actually have to LIVE with the consequences of my actions.
No offense, I would think most people would fight for everyday of life they can get, locked up or not. I think only someone that " wasn't quite right " would WANT to die.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
No offense, I would think most people would fight for everyday of life they can get, locked up or not. I think only someone that " wasn't quite right " would WANT to die.
I just don't believe that the death penalty is any kind of deterrent to the "worst of the worst" criminals.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I just don't believe that the death penalty is any kind of deterrent to the "worst of the worst" criminals.
I agree with that, To be scared to die you have to have a soul and anyone that can take a life with no cares or worries has no soul.

I'm one that wholeheartedly believes in the death penalty. Not so much for the scumbags that will be put to death but for the family who's having to lay their children to rest or their wifes, husbands, fathers, mothers, ect, ect. They should get their justice and closure. I wouldn't want someone like Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacey, or even one that hits REAL close to home for Floridians, Danny Rolling to be alive after killing someone in my family. Knowing that they were somewhere laughing, breathing, or whatever.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I agree with that, To be scared to die you have to have a soul and anyone that can take a life with no cares or worries has no soul.

I'm one that wholeheartedly believes in the death penalty. Not so much for the scumbags that will be put to death but for the family who's having to lay their children to rest or their wifes, husbands, fathers, mothers, ect, ect. They should get their justice and closure. I wouldn't want someone like Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacey, or even one that hits REAL close to home for Floridians, Danny Rolling to be alive after killing someone in my family. Knowing that they were somewhere laughing, breathing, or whatever.
I hear ya and honestly, I go through phases of being for/against the death penalty and often cannot make my mind up about it. I not only hear both sides of the argument, but I respect and understand both sides of the argument. It's a tough one to call, but still, I tend to find myself leaning more towards being against the death penalty than being in favor of it. I'm all for punishment though, but I tend to think that spending a lifetime behind bars to contemplate your heinous actions is somehow even worse than death, because you are no longer a human being, but a caged animal, for the rest of your miserable existence.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Hey Brother, that's old testament, You need to turn the other cheek...
No Sister...the foundation of Gods moral laws are not abolished because its the Old Testament ; they are still very important and serve to show us just how far off the mark humanity has become. Turning the other cheek refers to insults and persecution we may endure -- its not justification to be lenient toward Murderers and let them get away without repercussions for their horrific insensitivity toward the life of the innocent.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Not sure where you get your information, but prisons in Florida don't provide all the amenities you suggest. There may be one TV in an area for the whole dorm. (Death row inmates can have a small TV - not sure how that will work when we go digital.) They don't have computers. They don't routinely have exercise equipment (well, unless you count a basketball) and what they have must be donated by a civilian...state doesn't have $$ for it. Decent food? State prisons are notorious for the very low quality of food -- so much so that some inmates are close to the levels of malnutrition. They thought the private provider was bad, then the contract was pulled and it even got worse. And there's no a/c...

It isn't the Sunday School picnic a lot of people would suggest.
Although every you say is true the death row inmates are likely having a ball. They derive a great deal of pleasure responding to and recieving "fan mail" from the lunatics across the country who think they are the best thing going since Christ himself. It's not likey they are in any danger of malnutrition either, the Florida DOC canteen list is essentially the local 7-11 at thier disposal(minus beer and wine). And where do they get the money to shop? the fan mail of course. Hell, they even pay $2.75 for a pack of cigarettes that law abiding folks on the outside are getting bent over for to the tune of around $5 a pack. Sounds to much like Sunday School to me.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
quote: The death penalty isn't a deterrent at all and in fact, I consider it an easier way out than life in jail for the most heinous of criminals. Let me put it this way, I would rather be executed than face the rest of my life behind bars, where I'd actually have to LIVE with the consequences of my actions. I'm pretty sure that not one mass murderer, rapist or other scumbag gives a damn about whether they live or die, at the end of the day.

response: the death penalty certainly is a deterrent if the offender is dead!
the death penalty is used to protect citizens from these heinous criminals and for that purpose it is extremely effective. think of all the lives that would have been saved if ted bundy had been caught and executed after his first victim. if criminals ever learn that there are bad consequences to bad actions it will be the first step to fixing our problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: