Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
It's true. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If the roads are publicly maintained, the public can access the community just like they can access any publicly maintained street. You can't put up a gate that keeps some people out and only lets others in. It can still be gated, but the gate has to automatically open. There's a very high end community in my area that is like this.

On the other hand, if the roads are paid for and maintained by either the HOA or a CDD, they are private and only authorized people can be granted entry. The roads and entire community is treated like any other private property. The only real rule is that a resident's access to the community can't be taken away, which some communities tried doing to people who were behind on their HOA dues.
When people get behind on their dues in the community I live in, they restrict access by not allowing them the automatic gate anymore. They have to get behind the often long line of cars to be manually let in by the guard. They also get their cable, phone, and Internet paid for by HOA dues turned off, and their access to amenities like the pool and fitness center are denied. They aren't paying for it, they certainly shouldn't be allowed to use them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 06:08 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orl2006 View Post
Hello all:
I'm moving from VA to Orlando. I've read a lot of terrible things about crimes in Orlando lately. I have three children (from 2 to 7) so safety is of course the most important consideration. I'm currently thinking of buying a house in a gated community with 24/7 guards. Do you think it's a good idea? Does it help with avoiding crimes and other problems? Any comments/advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.
I agree with many posts that a gated community is a false sense of security..Get a good dog and he/she
will give you more security than any outside vendor. and by outside vendor i am referring to alarm companies.

Last edited by brienzi; 07-04-2014 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 07-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I agree with many posts that a gated community is a false sense of security..Get a good dog and he/she
will give you more security than any outside vendor. and by outside vendor i am referring to alarm companies.
I agree with this. Alarm companies are a scam. I have an alarm, but don't bother with monitoring. If the alarm goes off when I'm not home, the neighbors will call the cops, and whoever is in the house will be praying that they arrive before the three 80+ pound dogs who don't like strangers tear every shred of flesh from their bones.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
IIRC, studies have shown that the most important part of the alarm system is the sign about it in the front yard- that's what leads to a reduction in burglaries in those homes, even if the alarm system is never actually turned on or actually exists at all.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 AM

3,333 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
IIRC, studies have shown that the most important part of the alarm system is the sign about it in the front yard- that's what leads to a reduction in burglaries in those homes, even if the alarm system is never actually turned on or actually exists at all.
Absolutely.
  • Put alarm signage and stickers on visible areas of the property. Menacing looking 'Beware of Dog' signs are worthwhile as well.
  • Install motion-activated lighting around the exterior of the home.
  • Do not plant large trees, shrubbery, and the like in front of windows so as to obstruct them -- it's privacy for burglars even more so than it is for home owners.
  • Keep curtains/blinds shut when not home; not only will your home stay cooler but potential thieves will have little chance of doing any "window shopping" at your abode.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Absolutely.
  • Put alarm signage and stickers on visible areas of the property. Menacing looking 'Beware of Dog' signs are worthwhile as well.
  • Do not plant large trees, shrubbery, and the like in front of windows so as to obstruct them -- it's privacy for burglars even more so than it is for home owners.
  • Keep curtains/blinds shut when not home; not only will your home stay cooler but potential thieves will have little chance of doing any "window shopping" at your abode.
LOL--No need for "Beware of Dog" signs here--you'll hear them growling and barking from the street. It's quite a deterrent even to people who are supposed to be here.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
the gates are being questioned now by the city etc because of problems with emergency accessibility! I think new developments now can't lock down? NOT sure, something I heard. People do not like the old bared windows and doors and many have died in fires etc because of them. Same problem of the gates, electrical storms glitches etc etc. they do not always work well.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM

174 posts, read 409,141 times
I would hope that gated communities would have thought about power outages and would have a generator just in case.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Absolutely.
If one was looking to move to a safe place a place where you have to resort to these measures presumably within a gated community with armed guards on patrol doesnt sound logical to me,
What happens to the kids when they want to go out to play or go to school, what is your protection when you have to leave your armed fortress for a plethora of reasons?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the gates are being questioned now by the city etc because of problems with emergency accessibility! I think new developments now can't lock down? NOT sure, something I heard. People do not like the old bared windows and doors and many have died in fires etc because of them. Same problem of the gates, electrical storms glitches etc etc. they do not always work well.
Gates can always be opened manually in the case of a power outage--You just have to have access to the panel that has the lever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida