Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,049 times

Advertisements

I just have to vent a little for my wife. Maybe others have experienced this too.

My wife goes to the YMCA a lot. She always sees all these women who are older than her, probably mid 30's or so, and they are always bragging about what street they live on in the neighbrohhod, and how much prices for houses are on their street, and what they drive, and what their next car will be, and how much they pay their nanny, etc...

My wife was born and raised in S FL, she knows how some ppl can be snobby, etc.... but the thing is, we live in the same area as these women, my wife is very pretty herself, she makes good money in the medical field, but she drives a modest car, lives on a street (even though it's in the same area) where homes are cheaper, and never talks about the materialistic things that these women do. In fact, together, my wife and I probably make more money than these women's husbands (that's right, many of these women dont even work) and last but not least, they walk and talk like they are the best thing since sliced bread. We live in a gated community, I could care less. All that shows to me, is that in FL, you can pay a decent amount of money for a house, and you still have to worry about break-ins, etc...

When they ask my wife where we live, they have this expression and this pause like, "oh, you live on that street." OMG, I guess houses in the mid 200k's to mid 300k's isnt enough for you? They are right, our street isnt AS NICE as their's but they shouldnt say stuff like that, only we should be able to complain about our street.

I dont mean to BS, I just cant seem to get a good handle on the people around us. They are either rude and snobby newbies to the state, (my wife and I were born here, and we get this attitude from the people who are recent arrivals to FL like "we are better than you)." Some dont speak english and dont want to seem to converse with others, and we have very few people that act like they generally care about one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
I hate to say it, but this is what many parts of our society are like (and this happens in other parts of the country, so its just not newbies). I have found that people new to money act like this more than people that have had money their whole life. Also, usually people secure in their wealth don't need to talk about it in the way these ladies have been, so tell your wife its obvious these woman are insecure about something. So to me these people are fake and unauthentic, I personally have no time for people like these.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
I live in a gated community and we've got folks in here with old, old cars, new cars, public school kids, private school kids, people squeaking by in retirement, and people with high paying jobs. We've been here for 4 years and no one ever talks money. I don't get it.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
What city are you having these issues in? I personally would move to a different area or ignore these numskulls.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
LOL! Since when do truly rich people go to the "Y"? I'd think they'd have a personal trainer come right to their home.

Just a thought for her to keep in the back of her mind.

BTW--I live in a gated community, drive my eight year old PAID FOR sedan with 100K miles on it, and ate at Subway last night.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
I live in a non-gated community of older, well kept condominiums in the $100,000 in a city that's mostly made up of upscale gated communities (in South FL too!). You would think there would be a class division issue day-to-day with that, right? Well, I haven't had any problems. I do know that the snobbishness exists in circles around here, but I don't bother with those circles.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
True Story:

Years ago, when my xhusband I were looking to move to Jupiter so he could work at the hospital.... We pulled up in a red Iroc at this gated community and the realtor almost fell over. The first thing she said to us is, our homes start at $500K...(this was 16 years ago)...I said that's fine what else do you have (in my cut offs & flip flops)?

Snobbery has been everywhere forever...the real trick is pulling it off after divorce & bankruptcy!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
I just have to vent a little for my wife. Maybe others have experienced this too.

My wife goes to the YMCA a lot. She always sees all these women who are older than her, probably mid 30's or so, and they are always bragging about what street they live on in the neighbrohhod, and how much prices for houses are on their street, and what they drive, and what their next car will be, and how much they pay their nanny, etc...

My wife was born and raised in S FL, she knows how some ppl can be snobby, etc.... but the thing is, we live in the same area as these women, my wife is very pretty herself, she makes good money in the medical field, but she drives a modest car, lives on a street (even though it's in the same area) where homes are cheaper, and never talks about the materialistic things that these women do. In fact, together, my wife and I probably make more money than these women's husbands (that's right, many of these women dont even work) and last but not least, they walk and talk like they are the best thing since sliced bread. We live in a gated community, I could care less. All that shows to me, is that in FL, you can pay a decent amount of money for a house, and you still have to worry about break-ins, etc...

When they ask my wife where we live, they have this expression and this pause like, "oh, you live on that street." OMG, I guess houses in the mid 200k's to mid 300k's isnt enough for you? They are right, our street isnt AS NICE as their's but they shouldnt say stuff like that, only we should be able to complain about our street.

I dont mean to BS, I just cant seem to get a good handle on the people around us. They are either rude and snobby newbies to the state, (my wife and I were born here, and we get this attitude from the people who are recent arrivals to FL like "we are better than you)." Some dont speak english and dont want to seem to converse with others, and we have very few people that act like they generally care about one another.

Let me just tell you, you are going to find that everywhere, the women here definately think they S*** dont stink and there is alot of snobbiness here as to our surprise, and u know they live in an upscale section or sub division that is across the street from us and so on..it was in NJ and it we had in NY, so pls tell your wife, Shallowness is everwhere and I dont care where you live, people will think they are better than you...then there are those that have money and can buy those things are the nicest people you will ever meet...sorry your wife felt that way...obviously it makes them feel good about themselves by bragging...

Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Women take ****s?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Thanks for sharing. (smile)...I'm personally surprised to hear they even speak, my experience has been most groups of people here are really introverted and don't even make small talk.

Yeah, don't bother with those people. It's not just here. I'll never forget BREAKING MY A## to get to my kid's school leaving work early to pick him up for something and the yuppy moms complaining that their manicures weren't dried enough after going to the gym etc etc etc. That was back in the 80's.

That's a 20 something phenomenon. Ignore them. You'll have plenty of challenges finding friends when you finally have kids and are FORCED to socialize with their friends' parents, soccer parents etc.

Dopes have been around forever especially since Reagan in the 80's when yuppies and DINKS were so fashionable. LOL

You will also find that if you ever were inside their homes, chances are they are house poor. Crap furniture, cheap curtains from wherever....not even doing their job....and some rooms completely emptyl LOL It's an old story, one that everyone in their 20's has to go through.

Blow them off and be happy you guys are happy together (speaking as a mom).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: