Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM

693 posts, read 2,761,578 times

Advertisements

Where can I find information on home insurance rates and how much one is expected to pay? I've read a lot about rate hikes, companies leaving the state, etc, but wanted to see some numbers to know how expensive the premiums are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2006, 08:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,737,035 times
Wink insurance

Don't know of a web site you can find quotes on homeowners insurance like you seem to be looking for. When we first moved here, I contacted the local agent for the company we had used for many years and asked him what I should be looking for before we bought. Some of what he advised was the newer the better for lower rates. Post Andrew the building codes got stricter to help minimize hurricane damage. Also look for hip roofs, better in wind. Wood frame is a no no, need to have block construction, both for wind and fire resistance. Being closer to a city hydrant lowers your rate sometimes too. I would strongly advise anyone to shop for insurance before buying a house. Lots of folks have trouble because they buy first, and then find out they can only get the higher state insurance. You will have a harder time getting lower rates with an older house. Rates vary from location to location also. Same w/auto. Miami and Tampa are the highest rates for auto according to my agent. Based on statistics. I have a house built in 2000, hip roof, block construction and pay $1400./yr as of last month when I paid the current years bill. I also know that this is not average. My point is to do your homework as much as possible before committing by buying. I chose to pay $300 for a years worth of flood insurance also. We are probably the only ones in the area that have it, but it allows me to sleep at night. We are on a pond/lake and homeowners does not cover flood damage, doesn't matter if flood is from ocean, lake, river water. We also have a pool, and I have visions of flooding from that in a hurricane also. Well, I hope any of this is helpful to you, I know it's not the specific information you were actually asking for.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,746 times
Good info, Sunshine girl.

When we bought our house in Texas, I went to the website for the state insurance department. I was able to but in the area I was purchasing and a list popped up telling what companies insure that area, their ratings, what type of policies they offered and their estimated rates. I wonder if the state of Florida has anything like that on their insurance website? I haven't checked but it would probably be a good place to start.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:37 AM

810 posts, read 3,307,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl
Don't know of a web site you can find quotes on homeowners insurance like you seem to be looking for. When we first moved here, I contacted the local agent for the company we had used for many years and asked him what I should be looking for before we bought. Some of what he advised was the newer the better for lower rates. Post Andrew the building codes got stricter to help minimize hurricane damage. Also look for hip roofs, better in wind. Wood frame is a no no, need to have block construction, both for wind and fire resistance. Being closer to a city hydrant lowers your rate sometimes too. I would strongly advise anyone to shop for insurance before buying a house. Lots of folks have trouble because they buy first, and then find out they can only get the higher state insurance. You will have a harder time getting lower rates with an older house. Rates vary from location to location also. Same w/auto. Miami and Tampa are the highest rates for auto according to my agent. Based on statistics. I have a house built in 2000, hip roof, block construction and pay $1400./yr as of last month when I paid the current years bill. I also know that this is not average. My point is to do your homework as much as possible before committing by buying. I chose to pay $300 for a years worth of flood insurance also. We are probably the only ones in the area that have it, but it allows me to sleep at night. We are on a pond/lake and homeowners does not cover flood damage, doesn't matter if flood is from ocean, lake, river water. We also have a pool, and I have visions of flooding from that in a hurricane also. Well, I hope any of this is helpful to you, I know it's not the specific information you were actually asking for.
Great tips! I have heard to get homeowners quotes before putting in an offer. That way you won't be so surprised.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 AM

4 posts, read 23,788 times
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying a home in Ocala, FL with a swimming pool (3 bed & 2 bath) anyone know about how much insurance will cost me? Which is the cheapest company in that area? Is this area known to flood or have tornadoes? Anyone know what the crime rate is? Thank you

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM

162 posts, read 677,860 times
Contact agents before you purchase. Credit ratings and previous claim history are also factors in your rates.

You may be very limited in choice of carrier based on who will write in your area. Some companies won’t touch particular areas.

There is also sinkhole coverage in Florida. You are covered for a catastrophic collapse by default but unless the house disappears into a hole you will not be covered. Depending on the area it can nearly double the price of your policy. Some insurers won't touch particular counties which have had increased rates of sinkholes in recent years. Some will search a database to see if there have been sinkholes in areas of 1,3, or 5 miles of your home. It depends on the carrier. But if they find something it will also make you ineligible with some carriers.

Flood insurance is relatively inexpensive and certainly better than no reimbursement if your property floods.

Definitely get prices before you purchase. I’m in the same house since 2006 and my policy cost has fluctuated from a peak of $4000 to a low of $2300. I do have the sinkhole option. I also have a newer home so I get the wind mitigation discount.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,691 times
would like to live at Timber Pines in Spring Hill, FL. what is the house insurance like there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida