Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:37 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times

Advertisements

Warning others is NOT whining. Many people read these forums everyday and are greatly helped by them honest opinions of ALL the posters. I back up my posts with links and stats............do you?[/quote]

That is really all im looking for.. And thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 04:58 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
But its looking like I should just perhaps, stay were Im at for now??
That would be your safest bet at least until the economy improves down here.

Quote:
Thank you! I dont just have 1 law mower, over the past 2 years I spent almost close to 15,000 in all brand new equipment. From a zero turn that cost 4500, with a 52'' cutting deck to a brand new trailer. and 3 Honda self push bagger's. gas trimmers, backpack blowers, you name it! Im ready!! I just need a good area to start off in.
The "guy with the lawn mower" comment was not about you, it was about all your competition down here.

Quote:
And thank you all so much!
You're welcome.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
The bottom line is, putting aside my personal bias, don't quit your job someplace else to move to Florida unless you already HAVE a job here. This is not a good time anywhere, but especially here. I gave my own daughter this advice (which she isn't taking). In just the year and a half I have been here I can see the downward turn in employment. If I had come down here now, I would probably be out of work as opposed to having 3 jobs offers back then.

Let the ecomony improve first.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The bottom line is, putting aside my personal bias, don't quit your job someplace else to move to Florida unless you already HAVE a job here. This is not a good time anywhere, but especially here. I gave my own daughter this advice (which she isn't taking). In just the year and a half I have been here I can see the downward turn in employment. If I had come down here now, I would probably be out of work as opposed to having 3 jobs offers back then.

Let the ecomony improve first.
I see you have "Back to NY Thanksgiving" is that where you are from?? My wife lives in Islip.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
Quote:
You said you moved from Philadelphia, May I ask how long ago that was? And what was your reason to move to FL?? I know there are alot of good teaching jobs in PA. Also did you pick your place to live based on where you got your job??
I have been here a year and a half. I didn't know how Florida "used to be," so I didn't have any preconceived notions on downward changes in the state. My husband was retiring from the police department and for the first time in our married lives, we were able to move out of the city. I could have gone to the suburbs of Philly or to another area, but the cost of houses and taxes would have been too expensive. It is difficult to get a full time job teaching in the suburbs of Philly; the school districts want to hire you part time first. I needed a full time job. I also passionately hate the winter. So we figured if we were going to do a big move, why not move all the way. I did plenty, plenty of research. It took me over 2 years to decide. I even looked at Tennessee because people always say how desirable it is to live. I thought it was pretty, but knew right away I could never live there. What can I say, I fell in love with Florida...its weather, the friendly people (yes all the people I met were friendly), its natural beauty, the beaches. I started researching various areas, as Florida differs drastically from section to section. Then when I had it narrowed down to certain areas, I checked out employment. After much research and plenty of extended visits, things started to fall into place. We moved and so far I have not experienced any of the complaints that presented in these threads. I am not saying that Florida is perfect....because it is a transient state, there are many problems for sure and the economy, like anywhere else right now, is not good....but no place is perfect. I compared and contrasted and finally took the chance. So far, so good. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I have been here a year and a half. I didn't know how Florida "used to be," so I didn't have any preconceived notions on downward changes in the state. My husband was retiring from the police department and for the first time in our married lives, we were able to move out of the city. I could have gone to the suburbs of Philly or to another area, but the cost of houses and taxes would have been too expensive. It is difficult to get a full time job teaching in the suburbs of Philly; the school districts want to hire you part time first. I needed a full time job. I also passionately hate the winter. So we figured if we were going to do a big move, why not move all the way. I did plenty, plenty of research. It took me over 2 years to decide. I even looked at Tennessee because people always say how desirable it is to live. I thought it was pretty, but knew right away I could never live there. What can I say, I fell in love with Florida...its weather, the friendly people (yes all the people I met were friendly), its natural beauty, the beaches. I started researching various areas, as Florida differs drastically from section to section. Then when I had it narrowed down to certain areas, I checked out employment. After much research and plenty of extended visits, things started to fall into place. We moved and so far I have not experienced any of the complaints that presented in these threads. I am not saying that Florida is perfect....because it is a transient state, there are many problems for sure and the economy, like anywhere else right now, is not good....but no place is perfect. I compared and contrasted and finally took the chance. So far, so good. I wish you luck in your endeavors.
Thank you very much! One thing I never did yet was go to FL... So perhaps before I put all my eggs in one basket, I should do alot more research and take a couple trips out to different places. Im going to come down this winter for a week. I might drive down now seeing as gas went back down! It's hard because the wife works full time and Im waiting for some snow to hit so I can get out plowing and make some money. Anycase its true I think sometimes what we say.. Grass isnt always greener on the other side!! Soo true. In some cases. But I always want to keep looking for that better place. Perhaps, one day down the road ill get luckly as you did.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Smithtown

Quote:
I see you have "Back to NY Thanksgiving" is that where you are from?? My wife lives in Islip.
raised my family and lived there for 18 years. Originally from Manhattan. My daughter's fiance is from West Islip.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 PM

74 posts, read 268,171 times
Quote:
Hi, All!!

First I'd like to say I did take the time to read a lot of topic's about Florida. I live in Scranton PA, been living here my whole life. As much as I love it, all my family members are no longer with me. As the winter is coming upon us once again here, I keep thinking of making a move to somewhere alot warmer.

I know alot of people from not only around me but from NY & NJ that made the move, and are very happy they did. Im 28, years old and just got married a few months ago. Right not im renting a 2 bedroom apartment for 550.00 a month. Crime isnt to bad here but on the rise. Before I buy a home here in good old PA, I want to see what the jobs and cost of living in florida is, before I make any big moves??

My wife work's in health care, and I run a small landscaping, biz. I do pretty good in the summer months with my job but as anyone would know. Im out of work now because of the snow.

I'm not looking for the big city life, but I dont mind it. I guess a nice area that would not cost alot to get a new start in life and perhaps build my biz, up down there. But at the same time an area where people have alot of landscaping, needs and they dont mind paying for work to be done?

Maybe im asking alot but, any info I would be very thankful..

Thanks, all and have a great day!!
Hello!

I am moving from Boston to Sarasota this coming week (can't wait)! The reason is because of the winter up here north! I love Boston and the whole NE area, it's just beautiful even on winter times....but, I can't take the cold anymore....I loved FL from the first time I went there for vacation 10 years ago...and since than we always want to move there and just now after we sold our home and other personal reasons we decided to do the move.....first I got a job, after looking for about 4 months, I will be working with the same working area as Boston for the same PAY! Ops...(FL no income tax) so I will be making more $$$. My wife haven't find it a job yet! But my income will cover our expenses.
I am renting a 2/2 for about $900.00 dollars, this apartment comes with 2 in ground swimming pools, two tennis court, one basketball Cort and 24hours gym and a Park area for my kid!. Something like this up here would be at least $2000.00 per month.
My Advise is: You have to like the hot weather(FL), have your wife to secure a job first just to cover the living expenses. If you don't have kids get a small apartment first, many communities that I visited has special parking for RV's and boats, so I don't see you having a problem in finding a place for your trailer, and final! IF YOU ARE NOT AFRAID OF WORKING AND WILLING TO START FROM THE BOTTON....just do it my friend! you are young...you should take the risk right now, not when you are much older. Also remember....COMPETITION is every were! But the difference is the way you provided your services, it maybe UNIQUE! and you will just do it GREAT....Remember nothing is easy, specially in the beginning!

I know that my moving, even with a Job Secured the beginning is not going to be so easy....But I am very confident that I am moving to FL to stay there and raise my family and be very successful financially! It may take Little longer than Boston, but it will happen!!!

Good Luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Oh my God. Pennsylvania is so much better than Florida...trust me. I was born and raised in Florida for 18 years and grew to absolutely despise it, moved to Pennsylvania for 3 years and grew to absolutely love it. Now I'm in AZ for grad school, but I wish I was back in PA...one of the most beautiful states in the nation with some of the nicest people. As soon as I'm done out here, I want to move back to PA or somewhere near it.

Florida is good to visit, sure, but not to live. You don't want to have to deal with high realty prices, insane homeowners insurance rates (if you can get it), hurricane aftermaths, awful excuses for mass transit (resulting in the worst rush hours you will see), the soaring crime rates, the choking heat+humidity, stringent amount of available jobs, the general unfriendliness of the population (as a whole).......I could go on.

Bottom line is, there is more to life than moving somewhere just for "warm weather". I've seen too many people move to FL or AZ only to turn right around and move back because the weather was not what they thought, and they ended up hating it due to numerous other reasons such as those listed above....and if you did want to move for warmer weather, there are certainly a lot better places to move than FL.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Oh my God. Pennsylvania is so much better than Florida...trust me. I was born and raised in Florida for 18 years and grew to absolutely despise it, moved to Pennsylvania for 3 years and grew to absolutely love it. Now I'm in AZ for grad school, but I wish I was back in PA...one of the most beautiful states in the nation with some of the nicest people. As soon as I'm done out here, I want to move back to PA or somewhere near it.

Florida is good to visit, sure, but not to live. You don't want to have to deal with high realty prices, insane homeowners insurance rates (if you can get it), hurricane aftermaths, awful excuses for mass transit (resulting in the worst rush hours you will see), the soaring crime rates, the choking heat+humidity, stringent amount of available jobs, the general unfriendliness of the population (as a whole).......I could go on.

Bottom line is, there is more to life than moving somewhere just for "warm weather". I've seen too many people move to FL or AZ only to turn right around and move back because the weather was not what they thought, and they ended up hating it due to numerous other reasons such as those listed above....and if you did want to move for warmer weather, there are certainly a lot better places to move than FL.
Yes naybe?? But when you been in PA, all your life?? Lets say im ready for the warmer weather!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida