Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:36 PM

156 posts, read 721,959 times

Advertisements

Hi Doggiebus,
well, couldn't you take a little break and come up here for some christmas cold? or some fall leaves? we've got plenty!

one of the reasons I'm still considering Fl to move to, is that it's such an easy trip....a couple of hours for the flight, and you're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,015 times
I don't think the Florida weather is so great. And why on earth it's called th Sunshine State is beyond me. I lived in Las Vegas for 10 years and the sun shines there FAR more than it shines in Florida. Seems like it's rainy and grey here a lot.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
We do get away, we usually take a trip somewhere cool in November. This year we went to Colorado, last time we rented a house in NC. That was nice to see the leaves change and then drop do fast, the russelling of the leaves with the windows open, just puts you in the holiday spirit. When we got back from Colorado, we were in that same holiday spirit, but the weather just killed it with 82 degrees during both holidays. I wish we could do Christmas some where with cooler weather, but both sides of the family live in Miami.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 PM

656 posts, read 1,376,117 times
The license plates change color every fall

Old 01-24-2007, 11:16 PM

38,904 posts, read 22,900,003 times
I could remember when living in Orlando as a youngster in the late 60s/early 70s, that our house didn't have any A/C at first. However, we had two window units installed before the summer heat and humidity hit full force. One of the A/C units was built into our living room wall just below the ceiling, so it cooled the living room, kitchen and down the hallway. The other A/C unit was in my parents' bedroom. My sisters and I didn't have A/C in our bedrooms, unfortunately. During the summer, I remember we had the A/C running non-stop (and my parents complained about the high electric bill).

The schools I attended didn't have A/C, either, and it was MISERABLE beyond belief. The teachers were able to have electric fans blowing in the classrooms, but they weren't too much help, since it seemed all they did was circulate the hot air.

Fortunately, where I live now in Southern California, I live not too far from the ocean, and am able to get cooling breezes regularly, so I have no need for A/C. On the rare days it gets REALLY hot, I usually have the ceiling fans going, and they do a good job in cooling the house down.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:31 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
This is why id love to live in a maritime climate, the summers tend not to go much above 70 and hot days are rare as you said. As a bonus, the winters are generally mild as well unless you live at high latitudes. It does not often reach freezing so there is little need for heat. I cant live without a/c in FL! Even "winters" I still need a/c!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 AM

33 posts, read 177,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
The license plates change color every fall
Funny! But oh so true!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:36 AM

33 posts, read 177,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
Hi Doggiebus,
well, couldn't you take a little break and come up here for some christmas cold? or some fall leaves? we've got plenty!

one of the reasons I'm still considering Fl to move to, is that it's such an easy trip....a couple of hours for the flight, and you're there.
My wife loves the "leather weather." And we have been attending the Radio City Christmas show to Get us in the holiday spirit every season.
By promising a once a year visit to NY around Nov-Dec. that cemented the plans of my retirement

Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 AM

93 posts, read 330,102 times
I use the a/c all year-round too. As a matter of fact, its at 71 right now, otherwise its muggy and hot. People say its too cold up north. But than those same people complain about how hot it is here! At least in the north, you can have fun outside in the summer, rather than hibernating in Florida with the a/c all year long.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
It's still so strange how we all like different temps. I hate the cold , but I love the warmth. I think that NAH will be happier living north of Fla. You just seem to be bothered by the heat. There are people who live here and just love the wintertime. They're out snowmobiling and go to the Hills to ski and they build igloos and snowmen. You won't catch me playing outside until springtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida