Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 68,513 times

Advertisements

On a side note for those who correlate cloudy days and cold and depression. I actually prefer the cloudy days in the winter over the sunny days. Why? Because it almost always warmer. The clouds keep the sun's rays (heat) trapped as opposed to clear days where the sun's rays bounce off the earth and go back into outer space.

Confused? Go to any weather website or science textbook.

Cloudy = Warm = Smiles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM

156 posts, read 721,922 times
Thanks, nomoresnow,
I've been getting S.A.D. for years, even though I'm Much Better due to the med.,etc. The sun's been coming out early in the morn. lately,so i get out then.

and root,
it's not that we correlate cloudy days and cold and depression, it doesn't have anything to do with warmth. It has to do with not having any sun, and the shorter days, and the brain not being exposed to the sunlight.
Certain people are more succeptible to this, and they have treatments, and named it SAD, or seasonal affective disorder.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:24 PM

800 posts, read 3,089,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
I believe some of us have done this already, when we went thru a week or more during the Charley ,Frances or Jeannie Hurricanes? with no power, that includes no HOT WATER! ,its not pleasant!
I have natural gas, I had hot water and a line of friends using it up!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Wow some of you must be tolerant to heat like Elfyum is! I was so miserable without a/c when the hurricane came that I couldnt sleep, I felt like I was melting. Even going outside and swimming at night didnt stop me from sweating. I slept downstairs on the sofa as it was a few degrees cooler than upstairs. But I would wake up soaked in sweat and dry off. Yuck!

People do die in the heat. South Florida may be 95 on a hot summer noon but temperatures are measured in the shade. It could be 110 out in the sun with the ground and pavement radating heat. Then the heat index makes that 110 feel like 125! I have gotten so hot that I felt dizzy and faint, not good for your health!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Wow some of you must be tolerant to heat like Elfyum is! I was so miserable without a/c when the hurricane came that I couldnt sleep, I felt like I was melting. Even going outside and swimming at night didnt stop me from sweating. I slept downstairs on the sofa as it was a few degrees cooler than upstairs. But I would wake up soaked in sweat and dry off. Yuck!

People do die in the heat. South Florida may be 95 on a hot summer noon but temperatures are measured in the shade. It could be 110 out in the sun with the ground and pavement radating heat. Then the heat index makes that 110 feel like 125! I have gotten so hot that I felt dizzy and faint, not good for your health!

In the 70's I lived in Orlando without a/c for a while when I had a new baby. In the 80's my a/c went out and I couldn't afford a new installation at the time and went the entire summer without it. It wasn't fun but it's not an impossibility. My question is, why the heck would someone NOT want to turn the a/c on when they're hot? I don't remember the last person I heard of dying from the heat in Florida while sitting in their home but we heard about Chicago, NY and other northern cities having several people die during a heat wave.

If it really is too hot here for someone's comfort, and they do not want to use the a/c, then perhaps this is the wrong state for them. Why would anyone live in a tropical like climate and not expect heat and humidity? I'll pay my electric bill without complaint and do everything else I can to keep those bills down -- like good insulation, running the ceiling fans, & growing trees on my south and west sides. It really does help and if I have to run my a/c 10 months a year, that's ok too. It's better than what happens in the north when the ice storms break the utility lines and you have no power. If you are dependent on electric heat, it's dangerous.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:48 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,900 times
Most of my childhood there wasn't A/C here and we didn't really notice it, not even in church.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
I still live without air conditioning and it's horrible. But paying 300.00 a month for power isn't an option. It's impossible to get to sleep before 2AM in the summer, and my clothes break down in a few months from constant sweating. I was born and raised here and the weather is beyond horrible. I get depressed often, except in the "winter" and on summer days when huge thunderstorms move in. Even hurricanes are kind of fun, and at least I am never without power. Fuel is plentiful and free for me after a hurricane. Other than myself, i know of no one else who lives without air conditioning...PERIOD!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 AM

33 posts, read 177,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
On a side note for those who correlate cloudy days and cold and depression. I actually prefer the cloudy days in the winter over the sunny days. Why? Because it almost always warmer. The clouds keep the sun's rays (heat) trapped as opposed to clear days where the sun's rays bounce off the earth and go back into outer space.

Confused? Go to any weather website or science textbook.

Cloudy = Warm = Smiles
Many of us are not confused. We just like bright sunny days filled with color and the warmth of a beautiful Florida day. We don't need a science lesson and your previous posts states that winter is "only a few months." Tell that to the many folks who have winter from October to March. That's half the year, and I figured that out without going to a science textbook. Oh by the way, that textbook will explain to you, Root, that actually hurricanes do have a season and they are not a year-round event, as you implied earlier.
Damage is horrible in any natural disaster and the comparisons are equal in their forms of destruction. By the way.
Have a [i]grey[i] day, I mean great day , I'll choose the sun!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:35 PM

156 posts, read 721,922 times
Hi IBNYer, I agree with you about the sun and color and warmth, as I sit here in my thermals and sweaters, and gear up for a snowstorm poss. coming tonite. I choose sun too! :-)

We do have winter from Oct. to April. It's always cold around Halloween, and just getting nice by the end of April.
We don't have hurricanes here, But we do have horrible rain storms , many folks in NJ have had damage and lost homes to these storms in the past 2 years .

Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
I wish I could look forward to a change of seasons, I would just one other season. Here in Miami, I remember grewing up here being a little change in the weather, we might even of had a frost at one point by now. But the last few years we have just pretty much had, what most of northerners would consider to be SUMMER all year long.

It kind of would be nice to experience the fall like northerners do, with the leaves russelling, and the Fall decoration on the porches. Or even Spring with all the blooms, and people in the parks. Or even a little Winter at Christmas time, to make it feel like Christmas. This year it was in the 80's and we were in shorts, it just really didn't feel like what Christmas should be with out a little chill in the air.

It is kind of like hair for women, those who have curly hair, wish they had staight hair or vs. or those that are brunettes wish they were blonde. I think many of us might take for granite what we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida