Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:44 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...since sea level rise has been consistent for the past 100 years....less than 1 foot a century/100 years

2050....30 more years....it will be about 3 inches higher

...in 100 years....it will be less than a foot higher

sea level trends Miami > https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl...tml?id=8723214 <<<< before...during and after global warming....has not had any effect on sea level rise in Miami

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...250781284.html
Yet here they are spending billions to hold back the sea.
Why is that?.
I'll wager you sell real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 08:20 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
..and I'll wager you can't read a NOAA sea level graph

that's 40 years...it's going to rise a little more than 3 inches

Old 05-04-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
..and I'll wager you can't read a NOAA sea level graph

that's 40 years...it's going to rise a little more than 3 inches

3 inches for Miami-Dade is HUGE.
You don't understand climatology.
And you definitely do not understand proper construction management, as an estimator; I built much of the Brickell in Miami. The sheer weight is creating the same issue New Orleans has dealt with for decades, Miami is also sinking.
How's the real estate business?

Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 AM

Sea level has been consistently rising at about 1 inch a decade for the past 100 years.....

..3 inches huge is subjective....NOAA says it's about 9/10th of a foot in 100 years

and NASA agrees...about 1 inch a decade > https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...servations.jpg

Old 05-04-2021, 12:08 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
3 inches for Miami-Dade is HUGE.
You don't understand climatology.
And you definitely do not understand proper construction management, as an estimator; I built much of the Brickell in Miami. The sheer weight is creating the same issue New Orleans has dealt with for decades, Miami is also sinking.
How's the real estate business?
It's like typing to a brick wall rick. He just don't get it. The rise will be crazy past 70 years as parts of the planet will see 12ft+ in rise. But we are ok in our lifetime since most of us will be dead fred within 30 years.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It's like typing to a brick wall rick. He just don't get it. The rise will be crazy past 70 years as parts of the planet will see 12ft+ in rise. But we are ok in our lifetime since most of us will be dead fred within 30 years.

I've been preaching for years in this section, but hey; everyone wants to live near water!.
Nobody ever seems to factor in heat, as in it causes water to expand regardless of polar ice melt.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:58 PM

It's called Steric Height...it's the measurement of how the ocean heat content effects the surface height

It's already measured in on both the tide gauges (NOAA) and satellite measurements (NASA)...direct measurements

Quote:
NOAA no sea level rise acceleration > https://www.climate.gov/sites/defaul...TC2018_lrg.jpg

NASA no sea level rise acceleration > https://climate.nasa.gov/internal_resources/2268

measured reality slaps computer games in the face.........

Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I've been preaching for years in this section
Jesus beat you to the punch on this by 2000 years bro... "...shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

I used to think people were dumb for living in Florida. I've since updated my opinion: 90% of Florida's land area is a fine place to build on, but the party animal old people apparently can't figure out how to have fun in a forest, they have to play on the sandbar... It's like someone took a map of the worst places to build in Florida and decided THAT'S where the condos need to go!

I think double digit insurance rate hikes, like the ones this year, are going to be a party crasher more than people realize. The banks will lend as long as the insurance companies back the mortgage, so the insurance companies are going to be the first ones to cry "Uncle!" Too bad people couldn't be bothered with a 30 minute drive to the beach instead of a walk...

Old 05-04-2021, 05:24 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Jesus beat you to the punch on this by 2000 years bro... "...shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

I used to think people were dumb for living in Florida. I've since updated my opinion: 90% of Florida's land area is a fine place to build on, but the party animal old people apparently can't figure out how to have fun in a forest, they have to play on the sandbar... It's like someone took a map of the worst places to build in Florida and decided THAT'S where the condos need to go!

I think double digit insurance rate hikes, like the ones this year, are going to be a party crasher more than people realize. The banks will lend as long as the insurance companies back the mortgage, so the insurance companies are going to be the first ones to cry "Uncle!" Too bad people couldn't be bothered with a 30 minute drive to the beach instead of a walk...
Once we get another super CAT5 with gust over 230mph it will over rover for many of the Ins comps.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:54 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
This thread is irrelevant because people are arguing about sea level in the future when they aren't even going to be alive and how that is somehow relative to where they choose to live today. How many ocean view sunrises are you going to enjoy before the lobby of your building gets filled by waves?

I have an uncle that lives on an ocean to intracoastal parcel, best of both worlds/views on both sides! Sure its a barrier island, the elevation is not great in the event of a storm. He has lived there 25 years this year. That is a lot of time to enjoy what you have today not fear what the future could bring. Oh in that 25 years, the property is worth about 4X what he paid for it!

He has stayed for a couple of hurricanes, but normally just books a last minute flight and leaves for a week letting the staff care for the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida