Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,284 times

Advertisements

We need help in deciding where to look for a winter home, and would really appreciate any help from the forum.

My husband and I currently live and work in Ireland. My husband (from NY) is 60ish and I (Irish) am 50ish. We lived in NY for many years but have been back here now for 5 years. We are getting ready to wind down a bit, and want to spend 4-5 months (Nov-Mar) in a warm climate, preferably Florida. It does not matter how hot it gets in summer, as we will not be there. We own a (very) small apt in NY, and will sell that to fund home in Florida. Our budget will be $200,000 at most. We would like to have at least 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, preferably a condo, as we would be absent a lot of the time. We have no children or pets to worry about. Probably an older community would suit us best, but not where the population is mostly 80+.

Here are our requirements: We would like to be in an area with a small-town feel, within walking distance of a few restaurants and a pub or two, within an hour of some culture (museums, galleries, theatres, etc). We don't want to drive 30 mins to do grocery shopping, but driving to malls, etc is ok. We would like not to be in direct aim of hurricanes! We (I) also don't like bugs, particularly anything that bites!

We have visited Florida many times, Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Naples, Fort Myers. Naples is probably our favourite but way too high-end for us.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
From my research I have 2 suggestions on each coast that may meet most of your criteria.

East Coast -

Vero Beach
Stuart

West Coast -

Sarasota
Dunedin

Good Luck

Old 04-18-2008, 03:10 PM

9 posts, read 19,569 times
Research the expression 'Florida is the buggiest State in the Union!' Also hurricane prone areas on the coast. Home insurance is horrific.
I would stay central and north of Orlando, somewhere where the mosquitos die off in the winter!
Wishing you a rainbow........

Old 04-18-2008, 03:23 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
oh and if you don't care about being on a coast...

As far as Central/Inland Florida, check out Lake County (north of Orlando), specifically Mount Dora. All the retirement guides like that town. One book says there is a nice golf community, b/w Mt Dora and Leesburg.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM

88 posts, read 367,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj94 View Post
We need help in deciding where to look for a winter home, and would really appreciate any help from the forum.

My husband and I currently live and work in Ireland. My husband (from NY) is 60ish and I (Irish) am 50ish. We lived in NY for many years but have been back here now for 5 years. We are getting ready to wind down a bit, and want to spend 4-5 months (Nov-Mar) in a warm climate, preferably Florida. It does not matter how hot it gets in summer, as we will not be there. We own a (very) small apt in NY, and will sell that to fund home in Florida. Our budget will be $200,000 at most. We would like to have at least 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, preferably a condo, as we would be absent a lot of the time. We have no children or pets to worry about. Probably an older community would suit us best, but not where the population is mostly 80+.

Here are our requirements: We would like to be in an area with a small-town feel, within walking distance of a few restaurants and a pub or two, within an hour of some culture (museums, galleries, theatres, etc). We don't want to drive 30 mins to do grocery shopping, but driving to malls, etc is ok. We would like not to be in direct aim of hurricanes! We (I) also don't like bugs, particularly anything that bites!

We have visited Florida many times, Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Naples, Fort Myers. Naples is probably our favourite but way too high-end for us.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

I Am moving to Baltimore for my job... and i was going to rent out my condo in Miami Lakes. But i am also looking at the option to sell my condo at that price. here's the link to it.. 2 Bed 2 Bath Condo Miami Lakes - Free Direct TV! (broken link)

email davidacorley@gmail.com

and also to be fair.. FORECLOSURE is the new Phenomenon in Florida. you will be able to find ALOT of foreclosed houses out here..

Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Not sure about the prices of homes in St Augustine but it`s a nice town maybe Melbourne, Cocoa beach might be other options.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
From my research I have 2 suggestions on each coast that may meet most of your criteria.

East Coast -

Vero Beach
Stuart

West Coast -

Sarasota
Dunedin

Good Luck
I'd agree. I'd pick Stuart over Vero , but that would be nit picking.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:40 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
I'll comment on Naples.

I don't think it is too high end anymore for what you want to spend. A few years ago, yes, but now there are a lot of places that you could afford. Condos here are full of snowbirds. I would look into any of the gated communities.

Small town feel-I don't really think so unless you move to Goodland or Everglades City.

Hurricaines-well this is Florida and no place is totally safe, although inland is probably better.

Bugs-well this is Florida (again) and there are going to be bugs. They spray for mosquitoes and I think they do a good job. In your house general sanitation will go a long way to controlling insects. A pest control service can do the rest.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I agree with Oystercatcher.
Many nice 55+ communities in the Leesburg/ Mt. Dora / Traveres area.

My florida home is in The Plantation.....but there are many nice communities to choose from. You may really like Lakes of Mt. Dora.....one of the newest Pringle communities.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida