Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 07:17 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
I hope you are right! I just bought a poured concrete home, after living in two wood frame homes. Both of those "stick builds" have been disasters for me.

I think a properly built and maintained stick home (with proper siding) can work in florida. I think the worst possible Florida build is stucco over frame.
There was a stucco building on this property when i bought it. Demolition was very easy as it was pretty much rotted from the inside out. I helped a friend demolish a small pump house built in the 50's with a poured concrete roof. Despite being only 5 feet square it took several hours to break up. The stucco covered home I removed only took 30 minutes to reduce to rubble and load in a truck to haul off. Oh and the amount of insects inside was scary. My ducks were chasing roaches all around and several rodents scurried about. Mildew was attached to most of the drywall in different parts of the home. The pump house had no such issues. Thankfully my friend built his new garage like the pump house was, all concrete and he can enjoy his shop as long as he lives and not worry about it rotting away.

Last edited by tallrick; 12-18-2016 at 08:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 10,720 times
I live in a wood framed condo in Palm Beach Florida. It is the pitch of the roof...I also found in my research that wood frames have some give with the wind. CBS homes are wood framed through out house. My parents have a CBS and had termites. I have shutters and half of my condo is attached to another with someone upstairs. I have been through all the hurricanes since 2004 that year I did not have shutter took a hit but got new windows and shutter not in a flood zone I am fine. dont listen to everyone do your own research and you will find what will make you feel safe.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:55 PM

I have not had a problem with stucco , termites mold in Florida id not just for woof frames for all homes.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:56 PM

CBS can be worse for mold for it does not create like wood a catch 22 both have benefits

Old 05-28-2018, 05:36 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filo74 View Post
I put an offer for a wood frame home built in 1987..it is located in the acreage area of west palm beach....way inland in the western part of palm beach county. Very far from the ocean

My father keeps telling me to NOT buy a wood frame house because it will not do well in a hurricane. I would like to buy a concrete structure, but there are none at the price I am looking for (low 200's)....at least in the specific area I am looking for. Out of the 10 houses I see for that price, only 1 or 2 are concrete.

I don't know what to do..I am confused. This house looks perfect..the roof looks perfect...everything looks very good. Why is it that miami-dade building code prohibits new wood frame construction and palm beach still allows it ?? They are both in hurricane prone areas. I do not understand it and it just leads me to believe that wood frame homes do well in Hurricanes....the building officials in Palm Beach know something I do not know. Are concrete homes over hyped and over rated ? What is your opinion ?
I know this is an old thread, but those old wood frame homes have been in Florida for a long time, many have been there for 70 years and have withstood every storm.

Concrete homes are safer but there is no guarantee that the roof is not going to be ripped off.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,377 times
Wood Frame homes get a lot better energy efficiency. I'd say wood frame is fine in inland areas of Central and North Florida where the worst winds they would get is likely Category 1 or 2.

Coastal areas and beach areas are better off with concrete block construction since there's always the chance of Cat 4 and Cat 5 winds.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but those old wood frame homes have been in Florida for a long time, many have been there for 70 years and have withstood every storm.

Concrete homes are safer but there is no guarantee that the roof is not going to be ripped off.
Well it won't be easy. The roofs now are tied with steel right through the concrete block walls to the foundation and the walls are full to the top with concrete, so it won't be easy. Basically to lift the roof it has to lift the walls and foundation. Now the steel would likely give at some point right where it connect to the roof, but it would be rare.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:24 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Wood Frame homes get a lot better energy efficiency. I'd say wood frame is fine in inland areas of Central and North Florida where the worst winds they would get is likely Category 1 or 2.

Coastal areas and beach areas are better off with concrete block construction since there's always the chance of Cat 4 and Cat 5 winds.
You can't build a wood frame structure in Miami Dade county after hurricane Andrew.
It's CBS construction or nothing.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:33 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You can't build a wood frame structure in Miami Dade county after hurricane Andrew.
It's CBS construction or nothing.
Bingo. And the rest of the state should be following these codes. That includes Tampa Bay, where everyone is in denial about hurricanes.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:44 PM

well for those of us that do have wood frame over CBS I guess nothing can be done? I live in a building that has 8 condos 2 story I am on first. I was married for 25 years got divorced just assumed it was CBS first time I ever bought on my own I live west of 95. Looking for some comfort in my decision is there any? TY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida