Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not looking, just observation of new construction in the area. For example a "premium builder" is building a new subdivision a mile from my neighborhood (in Lake Mary) with homes built of woodframe and Tyvek in the 350K to 450K range.
So JAX is coming to the Orlando area rather than the other way around. Too bad. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Being in that industry a wood house will give in a Hurricane. While a unsupported block home will blow over.

Wood has termites, but you a good home you keep up with those issues. Wood gets stronger over time.

I was working on a 1967 block home in Tampa and the wood was so hard all nail holes had to be pre drilled. Plus you can find a really good deal in Orlando or Kissimmee.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,505 times
Wood sure will give in a hurricane. It'll give out! Google Country Walk Hurricane Andrew and check out the pictures.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Wood sure will give in a hurricane. It'll give out! Google Country Walk Hurricane Andrew and check out the pictures.
The Problem with Hurricane Andrew aftermath was sub- standard building standards. Shortcuts like 4 nails per shingle, no hurricane straps and list goes on. Drive by inspection from Miami Dade code enforcements contributed to that.

In combination to that, Hurricane Andrew was a Cat5 storm and even the strongest block homes were destroyed.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Problem with Hurricane Andrew aftermath was sub- standard building standards. Shortcuts like 4 nails per shingle, no hurricane straps and list goes on. Drive by inspection from Miami Dade code enforcements contributed to that.

In combination to that, Hurricane Andrew was a Cat5 storm and even the strongest block homes were destroyed.
There are aerial views of hurricane Andrew taking from helicopters. There were homes right next to Country Walk that look untouched while Country Walk and a nearby trailer park looked like a bunch of rubble.

EVO Construction Andrew Pctures

Hurricanes are complicated. The first thing that usually goes is the roof, and once that's gone you are in big trouble because you will be exposed to the flying debris. you have heavy objects flying at 100-150 mph that can easily hurt you or kill you. You can have the best building codes but if the roof is old it will still get damaged during a strong hurricane. Now if you have a wood home you will have no protection at all and fire is also a concern. There was at least one home that burned to the ground in Country Walk during Andrew.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
There are aerial views of hurricane Andrew taking from helicopters. There were homes right next to Country Walk that look untouched while Country Walk and a nearby trailer park looked like a bunch of rubble.

EVO Construction Andrew Pctures

Hurricanes are complicated. The first thing that usually goes is the roof, and once that's gone you are in big trouble because you will be exposed to the flying debris. you have heavy objects flying at 100-150 mph that can easily hurt you or kill you. You can have the best building codes but if the roof is old it will still get damaged during a strong hurricane. Now if you have a wood home you will have no protection at all and fire is also a concern. There was at least one home that burned to the ground in Country Walk during Andrew.
Yep! My National Guard FLANG picked up a few bodies. The Destruction was complete in Kendal and Homestead.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,505 times
My block walls were all still up. I lived in the very heavily damaged West Kendall Hammocks area. I didn't see any block walls down, only roof damage and wood wall damage. Wood is just not suitable for a hurricane prone area. If you're going to have sub-standard construction, you may as well go with block.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
My block walls were all still up. I lived in the very heavily damaged West Kendall Hammocks area. I didn't see any block walls down, only roof damage and wood wall damage. Wood is just not suitable for a hurricane prone area. If you're going to have sub-standard construction, you may as well go with block.
That is true, but make sure your block walls are reinforced with rebar and do a visual inspection to make sure the Hurricane Straps are in place at the truss.

Vinyl siding is good up to 120 mph or stucco. Stucco make its well sealed. Up graded windows are a must. The whole industry in Florida changed over night!

Hurricane Andrew was the Storm of Storms!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 12,543 times
IN a thread resurrection, we're looking at a Vero Beach house, 1989 all frame on raised foundation with crawlspace-a classic FL build. Supposedly, the wind passes under the house and takes pressure off the frame as well as keeping the house cooler in the heat. It's been through the 2 'canes we had in 04-05 and lost only a couple shingles. It's also about 8 miles inland on a large pond(8-10ac).

Vero is the 4th wealthiest area in FL(Fisher Is, Marco, Palm Bch and then Vero) and MOST homes here are frame though CBS has taken over. A pal has a house 3 in from the ocean, all frame on slab and only lost a few cedar roof tiles in 3 'canes.

We'll keep the thread apprised as inspections come in and if any roof strapping has been updated. The house was owned by an engineer and everything \is as mint as it was in '89 so hopefully things have been addressed.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 AM

14 posts, read 19,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcharm View Post

Vero is the 4th wealthiest area in FL(Fisher Is, Marco, Palm Bch and then Vero)
Where are you getting this info from? I would have to disagree. Maybe 4th Wealthiest in South Florida... You can still get single family res with oceanfront in Vero for less than 1mil...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida