Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,689,000 times

Advertisements

Thinking about taking a beach vacation with the family later this month. Having trouble deciding which location. I've heard good things about Destin, Boca Raton and St. Petersburg. What's the difference between those towns? We would like a nice looking beach, the easiest location to get to flying from Texas, and restaurants and shops or other attractions outside of the beach but still in town. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 12:14 AM

24,423 posts, read 27,122,412 times
Honestly, South Beach (part of Miami Beach) is my favorite in terms of water color, quality, clarity and surrounding shops and restaurants. Boca Raton is very nice, I used to live there, but for tourists I wouldn't stay there, just check it out. Fort Lauderdale is another good option, but I prefer Miami Beach more for your situation. I wouldn't go to St. Petersburg, nothing wrong with it, but the ocean doesn't have that Caribbean blue color or feeling to it. Destin is good for retirees, but the surrounding area lacks shops and restaurants.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:22 AM

27,281 posts, read 44,249,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Thinking about taking a beach vacation with the family later this month. Having trouble deciding which location. I've heard good things about Destin, Boca Raton and St. Petersburg. What's the difference between those towns? We would like a nice looking beach, the easiest location to get to flying from Texas, and restaurants and shops or other attractions outside of the beach but still in town. Suggestions?
For a family beach vacation I would eliminate most of South Florida (especially South Beach) and recommend Clearwater Beach which is very family-friendly and offers wide clean beaches with powder white sand (no burning feet!) and minus the issues on much of the east coast beaches which include rough surf, hot sand, and undertows. There a ton of beach activities and local attractions to keep everyone interested too. It's an easy half hour drive from Tampa International Airport. While there be sure to check out the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, Sunsets at Pier 60 and if the kids are old enough (or maybe not too old) Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise is a lot of fun.

Clearwater Beach | Visit St Petersburg Clearwater
Sea Life at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium | Visit St Petersburg Clearwater
SUNSETS AT PIER 60 - Clearwater Beach, Floridahttp://www.sunsetsatpier60.com/_uploaded_files/Happy-20-Year-FB.png
Captain Memo's Original Pirate Cruise | Visit St Petersburg Clearwater

Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 AM

3,984 posts, read 8,217,224 times
First , how old are the kids and do you want to look at the water or get in the water to play? Do you want waves and an ocean or the same Gulf water you can go to in Texas ? Do you want to learn to surf, boogie board or just want to play in the water or sit and look at it. Do you want to find a lot of shells?

Easy to fly into an out? Will you be renting a car? A lot of the beaches require a drive to get to like Cocoa Beach or Sanibel. . Major airports in Tampa, Jacksonveille, and Miami. Ft. Lauderdale, Pensacola, Melbourne, etc. have airports, too but not as many flights in some of the smaller airports. Flying into Orlando of course requires a drive to the coast.
Do you want bars and clubs for at night or just family restaurants? A lot of areas have Fall festivals, art festivals, Octoberfests, etc in October so you may want to see what special things are going on in each community.

It will still be pretty hot at any beach in the state in October so you could choose even the Northern part of the state beaches and be fine.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:08 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,173,154 times
Agree, the West Coast.

Siesta Key Beach, Clearwater, St. Pete, or Treasure Island.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:16 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,689,000 times
One kid, who is 18 months old. It will be her first time at the beach, I think she will wade in the water and play on the sand. Ideally, we would have gone to Maui but I don't think we can survive that long of a flight. We were looking for something similar but closer and in the U.S. We usually just sit and relax by the water and I also like to do some snorkeling. I'd prefer a beach that's easy to walk on (not a lot of sharp shells or rocks) and beautiful to look at.

We will rent a car. I'd like not to have to travel more than 30-45 min from the airport to where we are staying. And I'd like a hotel/resort right on the beach. We are also only interested in restaurants (no bars or clubs). An aquarium or the zoo would be nice too for the little one but it's not a deal breaker.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,173,154 times
Quote:
One kid, who is 18 months old. It will be her first time at the beach, I think she will wade in the water and play on the sand. Ideally, we would have gone to Maui but I don't think we can survive that long of a flight. We were looking for something similar but closer and in the U.S. We usually just sit and relax by the water and I also like to do some snorkeling. I'd prefer a beach that's easy to walk on (not a lot of sharp shells or rocks) and beautiful to look at.

We will rent a car. I'd like not to have to travel more than 30-45 min from the airport to where we are staying. And I'd like a hotel/resort right on the beach. We are also only interested in restaurants (no bars or clubs). An aquarium or the zoo would be nice too for the little one but it's not a deal breaker.
Siesta Key Beach. Little to no waves, it's like being in a giant fish tank.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:51 PM

531 posts, read 1,182,702 times
Tt
Quote:

You might enjoy the Tradewinds Resort. A bit pricey, but extremely family friendly. Or perhaps the Sandcastle Resort, Lido Key, Sarasota

Last edited by Dax13; 10-04-2015 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-04-2015, 02:53 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,578,410 times
Quote:
Sand key in Clearwater is nice

Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM

2,968 posts, read 5,022,679 times
If you'd like a Seaquarium and a Zoo it's Miami. Some fine beaches too.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/top-lists/...ches-for-kids/

http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/featu...-take-the-kids

And if you want to spend a day at the best pool in the area, you can go to the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 10-04-2015 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida