Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:37 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yup. Many just don't use common sense. By the way, my husband has a fantastic high paying job in Tampa. We actually looked at California a few years ago and the SAME job in both LA and San Fran. paid LESS! Yes, less! And the cost of living was about 4x higher. No thanks! Plus we get to live here in gorgeous Sarasota in a (modest) house in a waterfront neighborhood (bordering Sarasota Bay) for under $200,000 - same house in a similar nabe in CA over a mil, easy......

Just curious, but how much does a 'fantastic, high paying job' make?

I asked because if you're in a house near the water in Sarasota for under $200K, I'm guessing you might be in a trailer park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:44 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Why would someone making a comfortable living in a well-educated, cultured city with lots of great amenities want to give that up to move to Florida? They usually don't and those that can't hack the cost of living due to credentials/skills wind up here, as evidenced by the statistics which point out one in four here has a college degree.
I am not saying a relocation would be in the cards for everyone. However, in 88 I resigned frm
a career position which I was at for 10 years. I had opportunity for advancemet and in fact
my department manager had me slated for advancemenrt when I filed my resignation.
I had a good salary and plenty of benefits. My reason was quality of life. My wife was in a
union job with great pay and a boat load of benefits.

Reasons for leaving: The COL was high, rents were going up,home ownership was not in the cards
crime was out of control, the ability to use public places became impossible. Beaches were littered
with trash, medical wste was a norm in the surf. Even the most secluded beach areas were not
swimable. Traffic was beyond belief, tolls on bridges and tunnels were rising, street parking was]a huge problem and we often parked several blocks away from our apartment. Dealing with any city
agency was an all day affair, eveywhere was lines, lines,lines. Supermarket, bank, post office,
subway token booth, subways were crowded beyond capacity, weather was horrible in winter
sucked and summers were hazy, hot and humid, the people who lived there were all stressed and on the
edge, I could list more.

We decided we'd be better off elsewhere. My career did not exist in FL, no union for the wife.
We both started new careers with very low pay. In one year we were able to buy a house.
We had more disposable income. The NYC hassels all disappeared. We worked our way up
in our new fields and all has been good for 27 years.

Why Orlando? We were aware that it was a growing city with opportunities
for us to explore.

Surely there are many people looking to get away from thier cultured city with all
the amenities to live a slower paced life in a environment that is more suited to them.

It dosent have to be FL as everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Finding peace of mind is much more important to some than the amenities which they
dont use since they are working 50 hours + a week with weekends spent
handling life's chores and trying to relax before the next round.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Just curious, but how much does a 'fantastic, high paying job' make?

I asked because if you're in a house near the water in Sarasota for under $200K, I'm guessing you might be in a trailer park?
Sorry dude - NO trailer park. And my hub's salary is NOYB.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:52 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry dude - NO trailer park. And my hub's salary is NOYB.
Well, unless you're doing a heck of a job putting money away, I just find it hard to believe you're living anywhere very nice in Sarasota in a house under $200k.

I'm just curious what you would describe at a really great salary. It's probably a different description than mine.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:02 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Why would someone making a comfortable living in a well-educated, cultured city with lots of great amenities want to give that up to move to Florida? They usually don't and those that can't hack the cost of living due to credentials/skills wind up here, as evidenced by the statistics which point out one in four here has a college degree.
Perhaps because most people don't want to live in a one bedroom condo their entire lives..

You have families here (SF) asking what surrounding cities can they afford with a $150,000 salary. When a 300 square foot studio (smaller than most hotel rooms) comes on the market for $399k and people jump for excitement that they might actually be able to pick it up for $500-$600k, then you know there is a problem. When the median home price is over $1.2 million for an old average house with no lot, you know there is a problem. When the median rent for a 1 bedroom is $3,500 per month, you know there is a problem. Most of these cities you look up to, see a huge turnover rate because people move for the experience, but once the novelty wears off and they are tired of living with room mates or realize they will never be able to start a family even with a $100,000 per year income, then they move out.

Like I've said it a million times, move to one of these great cultured cities and see how you like it. If jobs are so easy to get there, then you should have no problem.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well, unless you're doing a heck of a job putting money away, I just find it hard to believe you're living anywhere very nice in Sarasota in a house under $200k.

I'm just curious what you would describe at a really great salary. It's probably a different description than mine.
Did you ever think she bought her house several years ago when real estate was cheaper?

Old 09-09-2015, 03:33 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
You mention knowing plenty of 'educated' college grads in low paying jobs.
Well, if you get a degree in a worthless major, like art appreciation or history, you don't offer an employer anything other than to say "hey look, I graduated college".

Employers pay for skills that are going to improve the company. It's a dog eat dog world out there and the best candidates get the best jobs that pay the most money.
Oh, I know that's partly true. When I lived in MA and NH, I took various courses after work. One professor at UNH told me she had a PhD in Philosophy and couldn't get a good job anywhere.

But you make it sound as if someone with a Master's Degree in History or a PhD in Art or Music is a lazy bum. It's sad to think that's the direction our country has taken, but it's true. People these days hear the William Tell Overture and think of the Lone Ranger. Take a walk some day and ask people to name just 5 inventors or Founding Fathers. Most people can't name the planets or know the state capitals. I bet a lot of people think the person who invented the telephone was named Cell.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Oh, I know that's partly true. When I lived in MA and NH, I took various courses after work. One professor at UNH told me she had a PhD in Philosophy and couldn't get a good job anywhere.

But you make it sound as if someone with a Master's Degree in History or a PhD in Art or Music is a lazy bum. It's sad to think that's the direction our country has taken, but it's true. People these days hear the William Tell Overture and think of the Lone Ranger. Take a walk some day and ask people to name just 5 inventors or Founding Fathers. Most people can't name the planets or know the state capitals. I bet a lot of people think the person who invented the telephone was named Cell.
Sure. Alexander Graham Cell.....

Old 09-09-2015, 04:44 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

I haven't read that member's previous posts, only the part you quoted, but I don't think he is saying those people are lazy bums. He is just saying (or at least I am saying) that people who didn't research the career opportunities and prospects for their selected major, shouldn't blame the state or system for not finding a high paying job. I love learning about animals, but I knew the job opportunities for a person with a zoology or marine biology degree aren't the greatest, so I didn't choose either major. People should really research what careers are in high demand or decide where they want to live and then see what careers in that area are in high demand. The system isn't out to trick you, it just isn't going to hold your hand the entire way. This is why I believe these kinds of subjects should be taught in all schools, along with budgeting, savings, retirement planning etc.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:00 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I haven't read that member's previous posts, only the part you quoted, but I don't think he is saying those people are lazy bums. He is just saying (or at least I am saying) that people who didn't research the career opportunities and prospects for their selected major, shouldn't blame the state or system for not finding a high paying job. I love learning about animals, but I knew the job opportunities for a person with a zoology or marine biology degree aren't the greatest, so I didn't choose either major. People should really research what careers are in high demand or decide where they want to live and then see what careers in that area are in high demand. The system isn't out to trick you, it just isn't going to hold your hand the entire way. This is why I believe these kinds of subjects should be taught in all schools, along with budgeting, savings, retirement planning etc.
I think public schools should teach a humanity/mortality course that must be passed as well. We seem to be moving away from seeing people as people in favor of seeing them as the salary they earn, the car they drive, the clothing they wear, or the individual causes they do or do not believe in. That's precisely why there's no longer a stigma associated with treating the average stranger like $h1t... so long as we can find something about them we envy, dislike, or disagree with. Folks are no longer measured by the extent of their character, but rather, by the extent of another person's biases. This is very dangerous in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida