Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 68,844 times

Advertisements

Hello Friendly Florida People,

I currently live in San Diego. I know some of you unhappy with Florida would probably kill to trade places with me, but I am quite frankly tired of the impossibly high rents and home prices and superficial people in San Diego. I am considering a move away from this admittedly paradise-like place, hoping to find a good substitute in Florida.

Can anyone offer me some ideas on cities to investigate? The two most important criteria are a good mid-30's social scene (hoping to find someone to settle down with finally), and an area that offers some beautiful landscape scenery. Other than that, I am open to suggestions for locations over the entire state. I also play a lot of tennis, and sometimes golf.

Thank You Much,
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 01:44 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
you will find people in florida just as superficial as they are in socal.....forget south florida all together....maybe try tampa if anything

Old 12-24-2007, 02:35 PM

548 posts, read 540,743 times
Don't forget SF at all!! Come to Palm Beach County-Northern Broward County.

You want to meet great ladies who share your interests....tennis is your key! We are a tennis family who lives in Parkland. There is an amazing tennis scene from Jupiter all the way down through Miami. You also like golf....please, this place is loaded with golf and many single ladies are on the courses.

I would recommend you look in Boca Raton, Coral Springs, Palm Beach Gardens. You will get the tennis, golf, and plenty of 30 somethings. Rent a place, check realtor dot com....literally thousands of great rentals all over the place. Once you check the place out, tell us your favorites and we can help you pick a neighborhood.

Join a tennis club and you will have instant friends who will enjoy fixing you up with their single lady friends! Don't hesitate to make friends with the married couples at the tennis club....they just love to introduce their single guy friends to their lady friends. Thats how my spouse and I met, and that is how many other couples I know met.

Don't worry about superficial people, there are nice and not nice people all over the world. Once you join a tennis club down here, you are part of the family.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
Don't forget SF at all!! Come to Palm Beach County-Northern Broward County.

You want to meet great ladies who share your interests....tennis is your key! We are a tennis family who lives in Parkland. There is an amazing tennis scene from Jupiter all the way down through Miami. You also like golf....please, this place is loaded with golf and many single ladies are on the courses.
Thank you for the useful advice. I really hadn't thought about Palm Beach County. I figured it would be a bunch of college age kids, but I guess you're saying stay north of Ft. Lauderdale. I will definitely check it out.

Can you recommend the nice tennis clubs in the area?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7778 View Post
Thank you for the useful advice. I really hadn't thought about Palm Beach County. I figured it would be a bunch of college age kids, but I guess you're saying stay north of Ft. Lauderdale. I will definitely check it out.

Can you recommend the nice tennis clubs in the area?
Sure. If you like the beach, go with Palm Beach Gardens. You can rent a great place within 10 minutes of the beach. Jupiter beach, just north, free parking and you can take your dog! Another great way to meet people....take your dog to Jupiter beach!

The best tennis club is Jupiter Ocean Tennis. Also, Palm Beach Gardens has an amazing public clay court facility run by the city. Lots of social events and tournaments. You can google both of these and pull up their websites.

Further south....Delray Beach is a tennis mecca with a great public facility and stadium. Be careful, good parts of town and bad parts.

Even further south tennis is everywhere. Deer Creek Tennis Resort is very active socially. Rick Macci, who coached the Williams sisters and Roddick as kids, works out of there.

Boca Raton is loaded with tennis. You can rent a furnished condo next to Evert Tennis Academy called Courtside Villas. You get access to the academy and Boca resort courts. Another great social scene. Courtside Villas has a website with pricing and amenities.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:59 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
Sorry to inform you but no place in Florida will EVER be like San Diego. First of all, Florida is in the South and you will deal with plenty of trashy, rednecky, ignorant people even in the larger cities. I have traveled to just about every state in the country and San Diego continues to be my favorite city in the US.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:00 PM

CJ -- your advice is invaluable. Thank you very much. I am getting reinvigorated about Florida now. I had been focusing on Tampa, but maybe Palm Beach County is truly the way to go. I also like it is in close proximity to Miami in the event I am in the mood for more nightlife.

The only thing I'm afraid of is moving to an area that is a bit too skewed towards an older population. The ideal age range is 25-35. In Palm Beach county, which area do you recommend for that age range?

Thank You,
Eric

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Sorry to inform you but no place in Florida will EVER be like San Diego. First of all, Florida is in the South and you will deal with plenty of trashy, rednecky, ignorant people even in the larger cities. I have traveled to just about every state in the country and San Diego continues to be my favorite city in the US.
Yes, I keep hearing about the 'trasy, rednecky' people. But you know what, though? Those types are at least genuine. There are some really, really superficial types in San Diego. I grew up in Michigan and I tend to fit in better with the more down to earth types.

Don't get me wrong, I do love San Diego. It is paradise on earth. But $550k gets you squat here. San Diego is also a very young city. It is a blast for the 21-30 crowd. I am feeling nudged out of the nightlife and dating scene in my mid-30's. The nightlife in La Lolla is my age, but it is honestly so contrived and superficial that I can't stand it.

So, is Florida really that bad (i.e. redneck central), even in Palm Beach county?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, I keep hearing about the 'trasy, rednecky' people. But you know what, though? Those types are at least genuine. There are some really, really superficial types in San Diego. I grew up in Michigan and I tend to fit in better with the more down to earth types.

Don't get me wrong, I do love San Diego. It is paradise on earth. But $550k gets you squat here. San Diego is also a very young city. It is a blast for the 21-30 crowd. I am feeling nudged out of the nightlife and dating scene in my mid-30's. The nightlife in La Lolla is my age, but it is honestly so contrived and superficial that I can't stand it.

So, is Florida really that bad (i.e. redneck central), even in Palm Beach county?
Please don't listen to that stuff. Palm Beach County and northern Broward is amazing. It is perfect for 30 somethings.

And think about it, your scene will be tennis and golf....not exactly 'redneck central' now is it!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
CJ -- your advice is invaluable. Thank you very much. I am getting reinvigorated about Florida now. I had been focusing on Tampa, but maybe Palm Beach County is truly the way to go. I also like it is in close proximity to Miami in the event I am in the mood for more nightlife.

The only thing I'm afraid of is moving to an area that is a bit too skewed towards an older population. The ideal age range is 25-35. In Palm Beach county, which area do you recommend for that age range?

Thank You,
Eric
You will find a great mix in Palm Beach Gardens, West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, much of Boca Raton. There are plenty of 25-35s mixed in with other age groups.

And like you know, you can hit Ft. Lauderdale and Miami if you are feeling wild some weekends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida