Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 04:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,365,593 times

Advertisements

Why not scratch both those cities off the list and look into the Tampa-St.Pete area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
What you say about Orlando is not true. So I think you need to prove it or just admit your comment is without merit.
Much of what I say about Orlando is a subjective evaluation and as such not subject to proof. But Orlando was nothing before Disney showed up (because the place was dismal and land was cheap) and foist his vision upon Florida; a vision based on a huge stationary carnival that could fleece the rubes year round. And Orlando grew as modern suburban sprawl, not as a traditional 19th and early-mid 20th Century city did. Face it man, Orlando just ain't cool.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Why not scratch both those cities off the list and look into the Tampa-St.Pete area?
It's nice there, as is Sarasota.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Much of what I say about Orlando is a subjective evaluation and as such not subject to proof. But Orlando was nothing before Disney showed up (because the place was dismal and land was cheap) and foist his vision upon Florida; a vision based on a huge stationary carnival that could fleece the rubes year round. And Orlando grew as modern suburban sprawl, not as a traditional 19th and early-mid 20th Century city did. Face it man, Orlando just ain't cool.
Much of what you say about Orlando is complete delusion, sorry. I don't mean to bash Jax at all since I'm a Florida lover above all and would rather live in Anycity, Florida over just about any other place. HOWEVER, if Orlando "just ain't cool" then Jacksonville is straight up wack. Are we honestly going to compare the vibe and feelings of the two downtowns? Are you really suggesting that Jacksonville isn't primarily sprawl as well (without the extra attractions which make Orlando special)? I mean good lord, Jax has so much rural land in it's city limits you almost can't even call them "City" limits lol. The airport is a tiny operation with very little international action. There is really nothing special about Jacksonville and even the beach is colder than our beaches. The Jags are most likely going to leave your city but Orlando keeps gaining sports. Very confused how you can argue this??? I understand if you prefer Jacksonville over Orlando, that's fine and there are plenty of valid reasons for that. But the way you describe Orlando is a disservice to the readers of this forum who don't know this town.

You may think I'm being harsh or picking on your city, but I'm not. I wish Jax was better than it is, I love all Florida cities. Even the writers of this blog think Jax could learn from Orlando. Read the article to find out how and make sure to read the comments section as well where people are agreeing that Orlando > Jacksonville. Downtown Beautification: Orlando | Metro Jacksonville

Old 02-16-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Much of what you say about Orlando is complete delusion, sorry. I don't mean to bash Jax at all since I'm a Florida lover above all and would rather live in Anycity, Florida over just about any other place. HOWEVER, if Orlando "just ain't cool" then Jacksonville is straight up wack. Are we honestly going to compare the vibe and feelings of the two downtowns? Are you really suggesting that Jacksonville isn't primarily sprawl as well (without the extra attractions which make Orlando special)? I mean good lord, Jax has so much rural land in it's city limits you almost can't even call them "City" limits lol. The airport is a tiny operation with very little international action. There is really nothing special about Jacksonville and even the beach is colder than our beaches. The Jags are most likely going to leave your city but Orlando keeps gaining sports. Very confused how you can argue this???
Jacksonville has an old downtown rather dramatically placed on a wide, major river no less. And while Jacksonville is largely sprawl it also has charming, older city neighborhoods that are attracting young creative types and the quirky businesses, music and attractions they like. Such neighborhoods are coming on strong all over the country but you have to have a pre sprawl city to have them.

You talk about "your" beaches but Orlando had no beaches, unless you mean on local lakes. And claiming ocean beaches as yours is like people in DeKalb Illinois talking about Chicago's Lake Michigan beaches as theirs. Check a map to understand.

Jacksonville's airport has little action because the city isn't the site of the world's greatest collection of tourist traps, places which do indeed attract a great amount of traffic to Orlando. But it's not like all these people are flying to Orlando to see Orlando itself, not like the way people visit New York, Chicago and San Francisco to see the actual cities. No, they're there for the amusement parks, not the city.

I'd advise a person who could make a good living in Orlando to consider it, afterall, making a living is paramount. But the joint lacks charm (and the ocean) and for me is just a way stop in the middle of the state when traveling from the attractions of the Gulf to the charms of the Ocean. Indeed, there are places in Florida I consider considerably nicer than either Jacksonville or Orlando which is why I live in neither.

Of course those with a financial interest in Orlando will take a view contrary to mine, that's reasonable.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 02-16-2014 at 11:18 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Yeah i think the results are in, Orlando wins hands down.
It would appear not.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Great advice. ^^^

But if I truly had to choose between Jax and Orl I would choose Jax, because yes it does have history, it's on the water and close to St. Augustine. Lots more opportunities for work, and not so touristy.

I don't like to bash Orlando, but as a native of Florida, I have to agree it was pretty much a small town before Disney came and it never grew like a "real city" such as Tampa or Jax. To me it does feel mostly new and synthetic, but a lot of people love that, it's just not for me. It reminds me of a family friendly Las Vegas. I also do not like that it is totally landlocked, and the weather there is hotter in the summer due to the "heat sink" effect from all the pavement.

I prefer the Tampa Bay area far more, it is more beautiful with a lot going on, but that is strictly my subjective opinion.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great advice. ^^^

But if I truly had to choose between Jax and Orl I would choose Jax, because yes it does have history, it's on the water and close to St. Augustine. Lots more opportunities for work, and not so touristy.

I don't like to bash Orlando, but as a native of Florida, I have to agree it was pretty much a small town before Disney came and it never grew like a "real city" such as Tampa or Jax. To me it does feel mostly new and synthetic, but a lot of people love that, it's just not for me. It reminds me of a family friendly Las Vegas. I also do not like that it is totally landlocked, and the weather there is hotter in the summer due to the "heat sink" effect from all the pavement.

I prefer the Tampa Bay area far more, it is more beautiful with a lot going on, but that is strictly my subjective opinion.
I have to b disagree about the real city comment. Sure Orlando grew up in the days of sprawl but Tampa and Jacksonville as real cities is a joke? They both have lackluster cores surrounded by sprawl. And as for being landlocked, I'm about 40 min to the beach. I have friends in the east parts of the Tampa metro that take longer to reach the beach than i do. Plus i love the natural springs and lakes here. Grew up wakeboarding so i guess i have a slight bias.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
I have to b disagree about the real city comment. Sure Orlando grew up in the days of sprawl but Tampa and Jacksonville as real cities is a joke? They both have lackluster cores surrounded by sprawl. And as for being landlocked, I'm about 40 min to the beach. I have friends in the east parts of the Tampa metro that take longer to reach the beach than i do. Plus i love the natural springs and lakes here. Grew up wakeboarding so i guess i have a slight bias.
He/she wrote Tampa Bay, not Tampa. Tampa Bay is practically Tampa, St Pete, Clearwater, Sarasota/Bradenton (all the way up to Spring Hill/Crystal river). Some find Tampa's core lackluster(like you), but others say St Pete makes up for it; add on top the beaches in Pinellas/Sarasota and Orlando is in the rear view mirror. So, not wise to compare a coastal area with a land locked city(that is the major drawback of ORL). Other than that, take a way the theme parks/Lake Buena Vista, and you're left with a relative small downtown and the lakes on the north end (Apopka, Mt Dora etc..).

Can't speak about JAX(only been through the city once) but have made it twice to St Augustine and that's a fine little town with a lot of history.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Orlando has a lot more going on. Also, it's a bit more cosmopolitan and diverse. It's close to both atlantic and gulf of Mexico beaches. Tamps is close by as well, offering even more to do.

Jacksonville is like the deep south of Alabama and Mississippi. I dont like that southern vibe. it's kinda like provincial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida