Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:59 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Those who say Jax is smaller, yes it is.
That's open to interpretation. Orlando proper (city limits) only has a population of around 250K and the immediate area (Orange County) has a population of 1.2 million versus Duval County which is a bit smaller in land mass and nearly equivalent in terms of population density. The Orlando MSA allegedly includes areas all the way up to just south of St Augustine and is given disproportionate influence over areas where people rarely if ever go to Orlando. Orlando's "larger size" is a bit puffed up and if comparing actual city to actual city about equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 07:42 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Jacksonville is only large on a "city vs city" basis because of political boundaries. You drive through JAX and sometimes it feels like you are in some National Park with no civilization in sight in parts. Anyways JAX used to be Florida's "business" city back in the 1960's with Insurance & banking industries flourishing then. Then they went on a "Urban" renewal planning spree where they destroyed most of their downtown buildings which is now populated by parking lots.I have no idea why they destroyed their downtown.

JAX's cute historic districts are overblown and you have to practically drive everywhere with abysmal mass transit. The Conservative vibe there is very unappealing as well whether it comes to politics or Religion.
Duval County didn't even want to marry gay couples when Florida finally had to under A Federal Court ruling in the state. JAX seems to be stuck in some "Ozzy & Harriet" Leave it to Beaver morality from the 1950's & 1960's. I always said JAX was southern Georgia's biggest metro.

I have no idea why this couple in their 20's would want to live in such a boring city like JAX and is somehow fearful of the Miami area. I guess a job transfer is part of the equation but to each their own. Anyways good luck to this couple.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Jacksonville is only large on a "city vs city" basis because of political boundaries. You drive through JAX and sometimes it feels like you are in some National Park with no civilization in sight in parts. Anyways JAX used to be Florida's "business" city back in the 1960's with Insurance & banking industries flourishing then. Then they went on a "Urban" renewal planning spree where they destroyed most of their downtown buildings which is now populated by parking lots.I have no idea why they destroyed their downtown.

JAX's cute historic districts are overblown and you have to practically drive everywhere with abysmal mass transit. The Conservative vibe there is very unappealing as well whether it comes to politics or Religion.
Duval County didn't even want to marry gay couples when Florida finally had to under A Federal Court ruling in the state. JAX seems to be stuck in some "Ozzy & Harriet" Leave it to Beaver morality from the 1950's & 1960's. I always said JAX was southern Georgia's biggest metro.

I have no idea why this couple in their 20's would want to live in such a boring city like JAX and is somehow fearful of the Miami area. I guess a job transfer is part of the equation but to each their own. Anyways good luck to this couple.
Given your "analysis" of Jacksonville you have done nothing but drive through over the past many years. It's very much a "business" city currently with a great deal of insurance, banking, high tech and healthcare industry companies residing there. I don't get the boring connotation as it's a major city with plenty to do (including actual beaches) minus the theme park element which not everyone finds appealing.

It's unemployment rate is pretty much the same as Orlando's but unlike the case there, not built on lots of part-time "McJobs".

Top Employers | JAXUSA
Central Florida's top 100 companies for 2011 - Orlando Sentinel

Jacksonville's transit is more extensive than Orlando's in terms of coverage and further along than Orlando's in terms of planning/development with one BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) line operating and more to come which are actually far less expensive/more effective than rail transit in areas without concentric development, and certainly not destined to become taxpayer burdens like little-used SunRail. Lastly the "conservative image" Jacksonville supposedly has is a bit beaten to death as the area has moderated considerably over the past 15-20 years.

Alvin Brown leads in Jacksonville – What does it mean? | The Florida Squeeze

Old 06-08-2015, 07:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
The conservative/liberal mix in cities is something that doesn't concern me all that much. Most issues where that comes into play are regulated at the state or federal level. It would be one thing if you were one of a very few liberals in an area but if Jax is still mostly conservative (not sure), there are still probably several hundred thousand who are not conservative (either liberal, uninvolved or centrist). It's not like you would be an outcast.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 AM

593 posts, read 668,256 times
Jacksonville for sure out of the two, however I put Tampa ahead of both. Jacksonville has many flaws with crime, sprawl, and over influence by the church, but there is nothing worse than being landlocked in Florida with a million tourists who have no idea how to drive or where they are going. IMO the best part of Orlando is when you can no longer see it in the rear view mirror.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Jacksonville for sure out of the two, however I put Tampa ahead of both. Jacksonville has many flaws with crime, sprawl, and over influence by the church, but there is nothing worse than being landlocked in Florida with a million tourists who have no idea how to drive or where they are going. IMO the best part of Orlando is when you can no longer see it in the rear view mirror.
I love it when people assume Orlando is overrun with tourists. While Orlando does have its share of annoyances, tourists are hardly one I'd consider, considering they seldom venture away from the I-Drive/Disney area. Most locals don't live there, and have very little reason to go there.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
I was in Orlando at a conference one time and my older sister lived there then. I asked her to recommend a place and she didn't really know the options. Like the previous poster said, the locals don't frequent that corridor. But she was happy to leave for other reasons. My younger sister lives in Jax now and loves it. Could be parts of town they were / are in our industry.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:09 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I love it when people assume Orlando is overrun with tourists. While Orlando does have its share of annoyances, tourists are hardly one I'd consider, considering they seldom venture away from the I-Drive/Disney area. Most locals don't live there, and have very little reason to go there.
Yeah whenever I've been in Orlando, I've never come across the tourist side. The only time is when I have to drive by Lake Buena Vista to actually get into Orlando coming from Tampa.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah whenever I've been in Orlando, I've never come across the tourist side. The only time is when I have to drive by Lake Buena Vista to actually get into Orlando coming from Tampa.
I agree and thank goodness for the 417. As you're coming back into the Orlando area on I-4 inevitably traffic is always clogged right around the Epcot exit and fortunately right where the 417 branches off to head east/northeast.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:27 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville's transit is more extensive than Orlando's in terms of coverage and further along than Orlando's in terms of planning/development with one BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) line operating and more to come which are actually far less expensive/more effective than rail transit in areas without concentric development, and certainly not destined to become taxpayer burdens like little-used SunRail. Lastly the "conservative image" Jacksonville supposedly has is a bit beaten to death as the area has moderated considerably over the past 15-20 years.

Alvin Brown leads in Jacksonville – What does it mean? | The Florida Squeeze
Just a few corrections:

Jax's bus system did just undergo a major overhaul half a year ago, and the results are drawing attention from across the country (with no increase in cost they've seen something like a 33% increase in usage while gas prices have dropped considerably). However, Jax's bus system is still very weak. It's very much not worthwhile for choice riders, and there actually is no BRT line operating. We just broke ground on a federally funded BRT system, but not operational for another year or so. AND, when it is operating, it really won't be much more than glorified express bus service. It's a regular bus system with small portions of dedicated express lanes, higher headways, and some newer environmentally-friendly buses. That's all. Some aspects of it will be a marked improvement to what we currently have...in fact I hope it will render the transit system at least usable, but no its nothing special.

As for Alvin Brown and the city becoming more moderate, that is certainly fair since he is a registered Democrat and he is black (first black mayor of a major FL city) But in reality he was uber conservative...more conservative than some of the registered Republicans he has run against, and, perhaps, more conservative than the R he lost to this year. In any case, we have a white R back in power so the flirtation with a dem lasted just four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
The conservative/liberal mix in cities is something that doesn't concern me all that much. Most issues where that comes into play are regulated at the state or federal level. It would be one thing if you were one of a very few liberals in an area but if Jax is still mostly conservative (not sure), there are still probably several hundred thousand who are not conservative (either liberal, uninvolved or centrist). It's not like you would be an outcast.
Yeah, Jax is actually about 50/50, though usually leans slightly R with a rapidly growing faction of Libertarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida